bazt1

New In Box Vintage Tamiya Formula 1 Kits

Hi everyone,

I am new here and not really clued up about the modelling scene. A relative of mine left me some Tamiya formula 1 kits a few years back. They are in their boxes which are opened but inside they are not constructed, complete and in their original plastic packaging with instructions, decals and advertising.. I have attached links for photos of the boxes and was wondering how rare these kits are and their current values? I would also like to know if it is worth selling them now or should i hold on to them as an investment for the future? As i said i am not really into the modelling scene but any answers and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

The probably best way is to check eBay and filter for sold items. There you can see recently sold kits and get an idea of the value. Can't say anything about the future value as I have no experience with such kits.

• Like 1

Jesus that's gorgeous. What a collection. The FW14B 😍😍. Anyways, I would hold onto them. They do seem to command good money, and I can only see that going upwards over the years tbh. As any new F1 release is in the lower 1/20 scale bracket.

James.

• Like 1

The Renault has jut been reissued but the others are getting rare. 

@bazt1 that's an amazing collection, what a great legacy. Another option would be to build and enjoy them...none of us were into the modelling scene right up until the point when we were. Everyone starts somewhere! One day you might find the time and space for a slow, methodical, educational, mindful and satisfying hobby...

They're all iconic, but the FW14B, 641/2 and MP4 hold a particularly special place in my motorsport memories :wub:. They come up very rarely, and generally in the £300-£500 bracket. Good luck with whatever decision you make 

Hi,

Thank you to everyone who has replied over the last week. I have looked at the links posted and taken on board the advice given, as well as doing a bit of my own research. I have decided at the moment to hold on to these kits primarily due to sentimental value and secondary, as an investment and see how their rarity, demand and prices fluctuate over the next decade. When the time comes to let them go i will make sure i post an announcement on this site!!

Thanks again.

As Finnsllc said, store properly. Do check that the decal sheets are not directly pressed against a paper or cardboard surface or you will find them stuck to said surface. I believe Tamiya decals are normally sealed in a plastic bag, but it will not hurt to check, and put them in one if not already. 

Try and keep boxes in a constant cool temp and out of sunlight. Possibly wrap in cling film to protect box?