FourthProtocol

WW2 Wild Willy 2

Hello. Long time lurker first time poster. Always wanted to say that B) I scratch-build a lot, but do love building and modifying Tamiya kits.

As the title suggests the current project is a WW2 -themed Wild Willy 2. This one will have some realism added to it, inasmuch as you cannot make the unrealistic dimensions of the body realistic.

First mod are grab handles made of 3mm brass tube. Couldn't get the bend sharp enough to fit the corners like the 1:1 has, so just went with the two along each side.

spacer.png

Spare tyre/wheel. A WW2 Willys wouldn't have a wheel cover over the spare, so mine will have a realistic tyre. Pitt Bull Temco with a plastic, narrowed by 5mm wheel from an MST kit. Paint will come later.

spacer.png

More soon!

• Like 3

Hello Sir, hope you're keeping well? Glad you found your way over here. This will be an interesting build for sure.

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

Hello Sir, hope you're keeping well? Glad you found your way over here. This will be an interesting build for sure.

Duuuude how are you?!? God it's been AGES!! Are you well?

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@FourthProtocol WW2 meaning World War 2 era, so you're building a MB?   GL with your build!  :D

Yes indeed. The body does limit what you can do but I will give it my damndest :)

18 minutes ago, FourthProtocol said:

Duuuude how are you?!? God it's been AGES!! Are you well?

Yep I'm good thanks. Well in to Tamiya rather than scale trucks but still have one of the Hiluxes I built. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourthProtocol said:

Yes indeed. The body does limit what you can do but I will give it my damndest :)

Awesome. I’m looking forward to how your front grill is going to look.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Yep I'm good thanks. Well in to Tamiya rather than scale trucks but still have one of the Hiluxes I built. 👍

Yeah... I have about 15 unfinished builds going and keep playing with Tamiya stuff...

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Awesome. I’m looking forward to how your front grill is going to look.  

Wait no more ^_^

spacer.png

The radiator is upside down in the photo (it's late), and the inner part (bottom cut-out with light lenses) needs 5mm holes for indicators. Now just need to check nothing fouls on the WR-02 chassis/monocoque frame... thing.

• Like 2

Very cool. I will look forward to following progress. 

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

I'll be so watching this.

A few years ago I bought a body and took a load of reference photos at a museum and then....nothing. My inability to create at your level put me off!

Welcome to TC!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Nice~! 

THank you :)

13 hours ago, Goudar said:

Pretty good start, I grab a seat. B)

Thank you too B)

9 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Very cool. I will look forward to following progress. 

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. I was surprised to not see most of the mods I have in mind - although it does make the whole thing more delicate.

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I'll be so watching this.

A few years ago I bought a body and took a load of reference photos at a museum and then....nothing. My inability to create at your level put me off!

Welcome to TC!

So far I've just cut out a piece of styrene from a template (the original grill), cut circles into it for lights, and nine slots to provide air to the radiator.

Today's update -

First pic shows where I Dremmelled back the retaining tabs to make space for the recessed headlights.

spacer.png

MB 9-slot grill glued into place.

spacer.png

And finally another shot of the behind-side. Shows again how I Dremmelled back the retaining tabs from the body to fit the lights.

spacer.png

Edited by FourthProtocol
Forgot to link to 3rd image :-O
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Awesome setup you got there with the Willy figures, @FourthProtocol!   :D   

The MB is looking sharp.  I likes.

Many thanks. I seem to add a figure or two a year, give or take. Started with RC in 2015. And thanks for the props on the MB. Grill is done, bar waiting 2 x 5mm LEDs (headlights) which will only arrive on Wednesday. The fingerprints will be cleaned up - only just spotted them :blink:

spacer.png

Here you get a better sense of how recessed the lights are -- possibly a little overdone for effect. The light lenses are from a China JK 2-door. It felt right using lenses from a stablemate :rolleyes:

spacer.png

This is what the insert looks like - the radiator from the kit proivdes the spacing from the grill itself.

spacer.png

And what it looks like glued into place -

spacer.png

Exactly 4 more mods left to do. Unless I remeber something I forgot. Then I will mod my mods list...

Nearing the end.

• Like 3

@FourthProtocol Your grill looks like an accurate representation of the MB with the recessed lamps.  Real nice!

If you don’t mind, please let me know where you are getting hold of the bodies for your Willy figures.  If secret no problem!  

I missed my opportunity to get the Ozzy kids figures as I was in hiatus back when those were released.   

I copied @JennyMo’s smurf idea and using FunkoPop figures.  :lol:

IMG_Dec102021at63421PM.thumb.jpg.35548db9ff6471cff5d8131bbd5efd38.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FourthProtocol said:

I get them from the 'Bay - the Ozzy kids are still available. Search for "mezco osbourne". There's a dude in Spain (https://www.ebay.com/usr/norrin666) that seems to have a lot of them. I've not heard/read of the Smurf option - I must try that!

I found a NIB one of Jack Osbourne in the USA.  Thanks again!!   I got a nice deal on it too.  I'm just going to make one Willy figure for my Beetles (Sand Scorcher) display.  :D

Looking forward to your next MB update.  

• Thanks 1

Update time :) Bumper (which will be shortened, once I have some unit insignia on it), and to the right, on the fender B)

spacer.png

The reason I even started this build - I wanted to see if I could do a working blackout light at this scale. Seems I can.

spacer.png

Fun paint job on the wheelie wheel has also been at the back of my mind for yonks.

spacer.png

Edited by FourthProtocol
Completeness
  • Like 3

She's done, bar lights. Lights still need to arrive. The rest is mostly there I think.

New in the photo below is the side mirror.

spacer.png

Added bridge plates. Technically 3/2 means Jeep with trailer. But it looks cooler than just the 2. I noticed from this picture that the winch is missing - there's no longer a way to attach it. I might look into that...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Done nothing with back lights, but they will come when the parts arrive.

spacer.png

Still want to paint seargent stripes or something onto the driver. Who looks scarily like @UNGLEWD.

spacer.png

Once the lights arrive I'll take more photos at Check Point Charlie or somewhere interesting.

• Like 4

@FourthProtocol wow! that came together quickly and it looks excellent. I really love what you have done and the little details make all the difference especially the blackout light and bridge plate (which, If I can ask, where did you get it?).

• Thanks 1