76jimmy

First thread, my Bruiser

Recently got a bruiser in a trade. It was in rough shape but everything was there. Cleaned it up and figured I'd start playing with it. All the rubber parts were toast so I ordered some tires and other bits.

IMG_20220118_170552_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20220127_154257.jpg

IMG_20220127_154302.jpg

• Like 4

Decided the electronics box had to go. Updated with new electrical stuff I had laying around.

It's a little leaner now. It's lost some nostalgic appeal but gained more in performance and reliability. Plus I'll save the original equipment in case someone wants to return it to to original state. It really wasn't in collectable condition so I figured I'll use it as a little trail truck. Maybe make some videos with my youngest son.

IMG_20220127_144248_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20220127_143933_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20220127_143749_01 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Thanks. Gonna need fresh paint. The box art is absolutely beautiful but I think I'm gonna go with a period factory Toyota paint scheme. And I think I'm gonna do some lights also. This will be my first attempt to at a trail truck build. Most of my experience with rc is racing indoor carpet buggy in the winter months. 

So far here's what I'm thinking 🤔

images (23).jpeg

images (22).jpeg

images (21).jpeg

images (20).jpeg

images (19).jpeg

images (18).jpeg

images (17).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

images (10).jpeg

Lots of good options there but the second image (red, orange, yellow, white) is super cool. 

I did get a chance to run it around outside yesterday. Have to go over everything with lock tight. Couple pieces would come loose after a while of use. The steering is the weak link on this one as far as I can tell. Keep messing with the steering arm as it only connects to the front knuckle with 2mm screws. I'm probably going to use 2.5mm cap head screws to attach the arm. Just need a tap and bit at the hardware store. I think if I used longer bolts and a nut it would stay tight and if it did break I'd be able to remove the part from either side of the knuckle. After that gets sorted out I'd like to widen the front wheels a bit and get some shocks that actually dampen the springs.

58519 Tamiya Bruiser Toyota 4x4 Review build tips  (92).jpg

5 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Lots of good options there but the second image (red, orange, yellow, white) is super cool. 

Ampro has something like that one on his YouTube videos. Check it out looks great. I'm leaning towards the yellow with blue stripes.

Screenshot_20220128-023412.png

• Like 1

Some progress. 

Found these upper shock mounts on Amazon

They're tight hole space but the do fit without drilling. I tried 90mm eye center crawler dampers but they were too long. Going to try 80mm center.

IMG_20220201_195437_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20220201_195437_02 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Some progress. 

Found these shackles here:

WEISHUJI 4PCS RC Car Shock Absorber Mount, CNC Metal Adjustable Height Angle Stand for 1/10 Axial SCX10 RC Crawler Car #F (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FNT9KHK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_MPDHYTHC9BGTMWAGB7N8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They're tight hole space but the do fit without drilling. I tried 90mm eye center crawler dampers but they were too long. Going to try 80mm center.

Another slomo after mods. Removed 2 leaf springs from the rear, 1 from the front. 

Used 80mm off brand crawler shocks with 50wt all around. I feel like the rear improved the most. I might try and use slightly thicker oil in the front. Not much dampening effect from the scale looking shocks.

Slomo

Also had to flip those shackles around and mess with the upper mounting location to get max droop and up travel. I think it came out good for very little money and work.

IMG_20220203_201539_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20220203_201517_01 (1).jpg