Bodi007

shocks upgrade for Rising Fighter

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I would like to upgrade the shocks to oil filled cva's on my Rising Fighter from the stock ones. I'm looking at the Tamiya 50519 and 50520 and they seem really expensive (£45 for both without postage). I only paid £60 for the whole Rising Fighter! Does anyones know of a cheaper alternative? I was looking at the Tamiya DT-03 damper set here as it seems to contain all 4 shocks for half the price. Would they fit the Rising Fighter ok?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-dt03-cva-damper-set-385509

Many thanks

8 minutes ago, Bodi007 said:

I was looking at the Tamiya DT-03 damper set here as it seems to contain all 4 shocks for half the price. Would they fit the Rising Fighter ok?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-dt03-cva-damper-set-385509

Many thanks

Aye, those will fit fine. You'll want to build the rears with short eyelets and possibly both internal spacers to get the length down a bit, but all the parts you need come in the set.

You might also consider some really cheap Chinese alloy ones and a set of Tamiya o-rings to stop them leaking around the shafts. That is the route I went with mine.

2020-11-15_05-15-38

Thanks for the advice. I do like the look of the alloy ones on yours. Did you just look on ebay for them or are they branded? The Tamiya DT03 damper set might be the better option for me to avoid potentialy buying something that doesn't work and then having to shell out again but I'll certainly take a look.

You mentioned internal spacers. Did you mean the spacers you fit on after the damper unit is built or are you referring to spacers you install before you fill them with oil? Apologies, I am a newbie with all of this.

Thanks

54 minutes ago, Bodi007 said:

You mentioned internal spacers. Did you mean the spacers you fit on after the damper unit is built or are you referring to spacers you install before you fill them with oil? Apologies, I am a newbie with all of this.

These parts. 

spacer.png

They may be numbered differently in your set but that what they looks like. If you are still having trouble, I will dig out mine and take a look. 

You fit them inside to adjust length, outside to limit travel. I remember the instructions for your set calls for them to be fitted outside. 

Also take a look here. 

On 1/28/2022 at 9:52 AM, Bodi007 said:

Did you just look on ebay for them or are they branded? The Tamiya DT03 damper set might be the better option for me to avoid potentialy buying something that doesn't work and then having to shell out again but I'll certainly take a look.

I measured the length of the stock pogo sticks and then searched eBay for ones to match. These were branded as Fastrax, but you can get them under other brands too. I needed to do a bit of fiddling with spacers to get the length spot-on, which is fine if you have spacers to hand.  However if you don't, and you want a guaranteed fit with all parts included, best go for the Tamiya ones. 

Ok, thank you. I think i’ll stick with the Tamiya ones to save time. Appreciate all the advice.

Hi,

I did buy the Tamiya DT03 cva damper set (54567). In the pack there are some plastic circular pieces / washers that have a number of holes in them.e.g some with one hole, some with two holes etc... It doesn't mention these in the instructions at all. Any idea how these are used and when you would use them?

washers.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bodi007 said:

Hi,

I did buy the Tamiya DT03 cva damper set (54567). In the pack there are some plastic circular pieces / washers that have a number of holes in them.e.g some with one hole, some with two holes etc... It doesn't mention these in the instructions at all. Any idea how these are used and when you would use them?

washers.jpg

They are not used in your set as your piston is fixed to the rod (fixed damping rate). They are for a different set of shocks (say 50520).