Stewpac15

Anyone try rc drag racing?

If this is in the wrong sub-forum, I apologize,  but I wanted the most eyes I could get...

Anyway, as per the title, has anyone here jumped into the hottest new rc segment, drag racing? Five seven designs has an expensive kit.  Team associated has a reasonably priced kit.  Losi and traxxas have rtr's, I believe. And then there are people turning their old buggies and sct trucks into dragsters.

It sounds fun in theory, especially if you have a drag scene in your area...

It’s huge around here.  Our LHS has basically quit crawling and gone drag.  That sounded weird as I typed it…

• Haha 13

I’ve been tempted to try it but just haven't made the leap just yet.  LHS said he would cut me a deal on a DR10 kit if I wanted so may be tempted here soon.  I do LOVE some of the bodies available. 

We've got a little group where I live, I'll probably race with them this summer if it's still popular. I've almost finished up converting my Traxxas Rustler to a drag car, just need to paint the body and get a wheelie bar. 

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Our LHS has basically quit crawling and gone drag. 

Too bad you are on the wrong side of the pond or they can enter Eurovision. 

• Haha 1

Absolutely, got into it last winter. Built a DR10, and 3 Custom HPI drag cars. 

20210206-212722sm.jpg

I thought it would be a cakewalk, but it's a lot harder than you think. I had a ball with it. 

I am glad there is a custom/build element to electric drag racing. The look is certainly cool and I am definitely tempted to build one, But unfortunately the driving of an RC car in a straight line for a few seconds doesn't interest me in the slightest. My LHS has the Summit Camaro, and has had some DR10s, and I am struggling to see me enjoying an rtr drag car over something else in the shop.

• Like 1

I watched rc drag racing a couple of times in the 80s but they were i.c. rails - I’d definitely be up for doing that but.. nah the new way doesn’t do anything for me. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of it, but nobody's really doing it over here, like monster truck racing.  A friend said me might be interested but if it was just the two of us, I don't know where we're run.

I liked that it started out with custom conversions, it's great that companies got involved with wheels, bodies etc, but now the RTRs are getting in on it, the appeal dies a little, but if it kick-starts the scene over here then it's good (same with the monster trucks, really).  I'd like to race in a stock class to keep the costs down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

A friend said me might be interested but if it was just the two of us, I don't know where we're run.

That is the problem i had. Someone i know close by has got a drag car set up and asked if i would be interested in getting one and racing, but there is nowhere really flat and smooth enough round here. I'm not going to lay out a bunch of money for something that cant really be used properly.

If there was a dedicated track somewhere, i might give it a go.

J

It’s funny that drag racing in the UK has never been popular in the way it is in the states . I first went to Santa Pod some 50 years ago. Then I think there were 2 maybe 3 places ( black bush) for one where it took place. I really enjoy going though it’s about 3.5 years since I last went. I must admit it’s the funny cars, fuellers etc that most people love. 3 hours of watching modified street cars crawling up the strip can wear a bit thin. 
The other issue is space. Where it’s popular the people seem to have access to all manner of flat tarmac wether it be parking lots or school/college grounds. Can you imagine a school in the Uk allowing that. By the time you’d done the risk assessment, CBC etc, etc. it would be the end of the season!!!!

On 1/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Frog Jumper said:

It’s huge around here.  Our LHS has basically quit crawling and gone drag.  That sounded weird as I typed it…

And people told me the biggest change in RC is Lipo ;)

• Haha 3

It's crazy how far RC tech has come, yet the ETs are still basically the same as they were 30 years ago. I have an RC Model Car magazine from October 1990 which shows the results of full-bodied drag cars doing 2-3s passes (some in the 1.9s!). They had brushed motors running on 14 NiCd cells :o