Golden

How to store boxes…

Hi All - I have quite a few kits now and want to keep the boxes, as I love the box art, and some of them are from relatively rare kits. I have been keeping them in my loft - which isn’t heated or completely out the elements - so it gets very cold and also very hot as the seasons change.  
I’m starting to get a bit worried they’ll get damp and become ruined….. 

What’s  the best way to store boxes? Flatten them out and wrap in sealed plastic bags???

@Golden

I’ve put all mine in plastic clip boxes. Not sure where you are based, but in the uk we have Really Useful Boxes and the 64l comfortably holds 2 or 3 kit boxes dependent on the size. I chuck in a few silica gel sachets to catch any moisture and all seems good so far 👍

• Like 1

I usually chop the tops off and use them as posters on the wall. The sides and the rest of the box gets burnt along with the rest of the cardboard rubbish. 

3 hours ago, Golden said:

Hi All - I have quite a few kits now and want to keep the boxes, as I love the box art, and some of them are from relatively rare kits. I have been keeping them in my loft - which isn’t heated or completely out the elements - so it gets very cold and also very hot as the seasons change.  
I’m starting to get a bit worried they’ll get damp and become ruined….. 

What’s  the best way to store boxes? Flatten them out and wrap in sealed plastic bags???

The best place is HVAC controlled away from UV.. I use my wine cellar as time capsule.

But lately I've been thinking who am I saving them for?   And decided to just display them in my pretend RC shop and enjoy looking at them myself.  My current RC shop does not even have UV blockers on the windows, just blinds (slats only, not even honeycomb) as I like sunlight.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I like sunlight.

Sunlight is best for model making and color matching. The "warm" lights are making me go blind trying to identify color (and being colorblind don't help!). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

But lately I've been thinking who am I saving them for?  

Funny you say this, I just asked myself the same question a couple weeks ago when I had to do some rearranging in the house and realized I had nowhere to put 10 or so Tamiya kit boxes.  Ended up cutting them up and I'll get some frames to throw them on the wall in the garage. I understand if its something super rare or something you're planning on selling, but none of my stuff is worth anything so why keep them?

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread but as others have said just keep them in a climate controlled environment.  Mine were in a spare bedroom under the bed for years and they were mint when I cut them up.  

• Like 1

Just now, alvinlwh said:

Sunlight is best for model making and color matching. 

Very true, the primary reason why I like sunlight in the room to check out my cars during the day.

Most of my boxes are in the loft, I mainly kept  them for storage to start with. I can recommend framing some. The proper artwork ones of early kits are worth it. I’m wanting to a Scorcher box the same as a Buggy Champ I did, problem is hanging space is a premium in my house, as there isn’t many walls wide enough for this size,

D2714483-CCD3-48D2-9421-5C0E5569FEBE.md.

Another thought I had was to maybe put a few of the side pictures of a kit box that are smaller into one frame as well. 

• Like 8

Yep. I’d really like to frame some. Bit torn between keeping them as “boxes” or doing this - but the reality is I love the cars and the artwork - so am never going to sell them - and if the boxes are stashed in a loft, I’m not really going to ferret around to look at them once in a blue moon. I think I might start to frame them - or at least flatten them out, which will make storage in a safer environment easier at least! I do have quite a lot of them is the problem!!!

Thanks for suggestions. I might also look into very large vacuum bags - and simply not vacuum them (so as not to crush the boxes…) - as they are airtight…

Ah… first world problems…

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

problem is hanging space is a premium in my house

You still have the ceiling right? 

I will like to frame some, but the cost of custom size frames... 

• Like 1