Golden

Wild One Block Head - Steering arms rubbing

Getting my money's worth from the forum at the moment. So thank you!

I have a have a Wild One Block Head Motors which I’m building - and I think I’ve made a mistake with the steering arms - but can’t for the life of me work it out. 

The front wheels are not quite parallel and the  seems too high - so the arms lie directly on the chassis and rub whenever I turn the steering. Not finished the build or run it - so it’s still on my work desk - but it’s left rub marks already…

I have callipers and have double checked everything - and all looks to spec  

Any ideas?? 

image.jpg

Can you take picture from directly above? Hard to see what's what!?

3 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

Check your bottom damper mounts.  Thy look like they are upside down vs the manual illustrations.

Yep, just saw pic 2. Here's the manual @Golden:

2105339730_ScreenShot2022-01-30at10_30_19am.png.cf85b88098d590c4ef51e2289dec8522.png

• Like 2

You are all complete LEGENDS (and I am an idiot!). I had indeed put the lower shock mounts on upside down. Thank you so much - and well done for seeing it. I’ve got the thing in front of me - with the manual - and hadn’t caught it! This is such a great forum - and while I like to think I’m pretty technical and have built a fair few kits  - I have no idea how you spotted that! Thank you again. 

There is now clearance - albeit about a mm - and I reckon I might lower the front end by maybe 5mm so it sits level. 

• Like 2

May want to look at your lower spring perch too. Can’t tell for sure from the picture but the fact that the spring isn’t sitting square over it means it may be upside down too.  I haven’t built a Wild One (yet, have a Blockhead in the basement) so don’t know the parts well enough to say for sure.

18 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

May want to look at your lower spring perch too. 

I reckon you’re right. Someone is eagle eyed today! 

Thanks. The spring perches only really go on one way round (like everything…. Which I’ve managed to get upside down already…!). They’re good though. There is a lot of slop though which enables the spring to move a fair bit, and I’ve seen a couple of build videos where o rings have been fitted to take up the slack. 

2 hours ago, Golden said:

Thanks. The spring perches only really go on one way round (like everything…. Which I’ve managed to get upside down already…!). They’re good though. There is a lot of slop though which enables the spring to move a fair bit, and I’ve seen a couple of build videos where o rings have been fitted to take up the slack. 

Ah, I see.  Well, 1 for 2 on solving problems I guess.  O-rings sound like a decent idea though.  Will keep that in mind when I get to building mine.

Yep was gonna say the spring perches are correct, they just don’t seat the springs ver well, I found that with mine. Think I checked it about 4 times on mine :wacko:

I'm jumping on the fence, does anyone got some "binding" from the left side rear arm ? Maybe caused by the o-ring inside of wheel axle ?

He is way more hard to move then the other one.

Mark gives some nice tips for front dampers and rear axles. Thanks to him.