GeeWings

Regrets? I have a few...

Last year I got back in to Tamiya. My first build was an Egress (my first love ;)) and my second was the GF-01 Land Cruiser which I really enjoyed hopping-up and customising. However, after the first proper run out the paint started to crack. I couldn't work out why. Then I got home and realised in my haste to get on with the build I had accidentally picked up a TS paint can not the PS :(

Since then I have started the process of stripping the paint to redo it but haven't quite got the energy to finish it. I get frustrated every time I look at it.

So, does anyone else have any "oh no!" moments to make me feel better... ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

My RC life is in 2 phases. First was in 2010, while in between jobs and about to move across the country. With the down time, my wife (GF at that time) got me my first love, a LB for my birthday. Then I got a TT01. As I no longer have a home, I temporarily stored stuff at a friend's, whom I gave the permission to play with the cars. Unfortunately, to most non modellers, they think it is fun to slam a car into a wall at full speed. Needless to say, they became both quite trashed, with the TT01 needing a new chassis.

Then my RC life restarted again last summer. Since then, my most common "oh no" moments are when I forgot to tighten the wheels and/or pinion and they came flying off during a run. 

If it makes you feel any better I painted my DF-03 with TS and it is now cracking.

I thought it was because it was cold when I sprayed but no… it was a case of the noobies. 

46 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Then my RC life restarted again last summer. Since then, my most common "oh no" moments are when I forgot to tighten the wheels and/or pinion and they came flying off during a run.

I can vouch for the “not tightening “ thing biting me. I once forgot to tighten the hinge pins on my G6-01 king yellow and had a dog bone pop out. Luckily, I found the lost piece in the grass. 
Non Tamiya, I stripped out the hex drives on my SMT10 wheel when I ran it on 3s power. 

I also have one “one that got away “ Rac regret story which has a happy outcome. 
a couple of years ago I bought a used T Maxx from an acquaintance. I was just getting into nitro. I ended up trading it away in a barter deal.  I later got more into nitro and remarked what good platform the old T Maxx was.  This past summer, I found a used T Maxx very cheap in local classified. After I purchased and got it home I realized  MY handwriting was on the transmitter in marker , and the  “spare “body was shoe gooed exactly where I had. I unwittingly purchased back my first nitro monster truck for less than I had originally paid, and got a spare roller chassis and 3 extra bodies 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

This past summer, I found a used T Maxx very cheap in local classified. After I purchased and got it home I realized  MY handwriting was on the transmitter in marker , and the  “spare “body was shoe gooed exactly where I had. I unwittingly purchased back my first nitro monster truck for less than I had originally paid, and got a spare roller chassis and 3 extra bodies 

That's a great story. I need some of the luck to be reunited with my Boomerang I haven't seen in 30+ years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

My RC life is in 2 phases. First was in 2010, while in between jobs and about to move across the country. With the down time, my wife (GF at that time) got me my first love, a LB for my birthday. Then I got a TT01. As I no longer have a home, I temporarily stored stuff at a friend's, whom I gave the permission to play with the cars. Unfortunately, to most non modellers, they think it is fun to slam a car into a wall at full speed. Needless to say, they became both quite trashed, with the TT01 needing a new chassis.

"With friends like that, who needs enemies" :( ;)

17 minutes ago, DPR250R said:

If it makes you feel any better I painted my DF-03 with TS and it is now cracking.

I thought it was because it was cold when I sprayed but no… it was a case of the noobies. 

Glad to see I'm not alone in noobies club. "The first rule of Noobie club? Pick up the wrong can"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

With friends like that, who needs enemies" :( ;)

I don't blame them. Most non modellers will not know of the effort put into building the thing. Also, if they see it as a toy, driving into a wall at full speed to see it bounce off is just "fun". 

If anything, I have to thank them for smashing up my TT-01 as that gave me the excuse to rebuild it, joining TC in the process, and growing my collection from 2 to 10 cars. 

• Haha 2

Biggest ‘Oh No!!’ to put it mildly was 3 stages in to painting my Knight Hauler.

For some unknown reason the primer didn’t stick like it had done on other bodies in the past. When I took some masking tape off having applied the 2nd colour (black) the silver pealed off with it 😬.

4A8339A4-8FA1-4A06-84D8-6023A4297C56.md.

I thought about patching up the back, but then put some tape on places elsewhere to discover it was all dud.

So after 2 weeks work 3 tins of 150ml paint already down the toilet I then had to strip it all back down to the plastic again. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach watching the Brake fluid turning the paint into a sludgy mess.

But on the upside this is when I then discovered Isopropyl Alcohol. That was just magic for the final clean up. We’ve been good friends ever since.

1 minute ago, Re-Bugged said:

When I took some masking tape off having applied the 2nd colour (black) the silver pealed off with it 😬.

Hang on, you put black over silver (or any metallic)? It should be the other way round. There are even black primer specifically made for metallic paint in the static world. I sometimes even get away with prime, mask, metallic and done if it is a black and metallic scheme, saving a black paint step. 

For example this is specifically a metallic primer. 

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/metal-color/27375-metal-color-gloss-black-primer-200ml

While it is not for your purpose, another thing I seem to find is paint do not stick to metallic well (although I use a different type of paint to you). 

Also see this, 6th post down. 

https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/168127.aspx

• Thanks 1

I suppose it's wrong to say I'm glad I'm not the only one making mistakes. But it does make me feel a little better!

• Like 1

Been there done that mixing up TS and PS paints.

Me with a stupid face, brow out, jaw protruding, scratching my sagital crest, why isn't it sticking?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I don't blame them. Most non modellers will not know of the effort put into building the thing. Also, if they see it as a toy, driving into a wall at full speed to see it bounce off is just "fun". 

If anything, I have to thank them for smashing up my TT-01 as that gave me the excuse to rebuild it, joining TC in the process, and growing my collection from 2 to 10 cars. 

Every cloud has a silver lining!!

My worst 'Oh no' moment, although it was a lot more expletive filled, was when i fitted the fresh built shell on my restored Opel Ascona for the very first time, and the roof cracked around the mounting. :wacko:

J

spacer.png

• Sad 3

There have been more than a few over time but most recently I completed a fairly (for me) complex paint job. I was pleased. My highest standard so far.

SCX10iii.jpg

I forgot to mask off the rear light clusters. :angry:

• Like 1

Painting when cold...this has gotten me a few times.  I need to just be patient and wait for the weather to get warm again since I dont have a suitable place to paint inside.  

On a larger scale, I'm really starting to regret buying/building most of the RCs I currently have.  Started by listing a couple for sale but its such a pain selling anything these days that I'm starting to look at my "collection" like a chore that I need to get rid of.  Have decided to only keep vehicles I use but dread having to sell the others off.  If any TC members are local I'd gladly make a great deal on any of them, the hassle of shipping has kept me from starting to list on Ebay so far.  

Setting the "wayback machine" for the summer of 1987... I found an unknown RC buggy in a garage sale for $50. Metal chassis and suspension, big plastic box in the center to hold all the radio gear. Because it was metal, I thought it would be perfect for trying all the stupid stunts that kept breaking my Grasshopper and Blackfoot. So I scraped together $50, bought it, and spent the rest of the summer torturing it. I bashed it into curbs, I used a snow shovel as a jump ramp... let's just say the car didn't hold up. And there was no way to get parts for it. So the remains of it ended up going in the trash a year or so later.

What was it, you ask? A Rough Rider? A Kyosho Scorpion? Both good guesses, but no... it was an AYK 566B Super Trail. Man, I was a stupid kid...

• Sad 1

Hmm let's see, regrets in RC...

not too many, at least not recently. But around 20 years ago, when I started to get into racing, I didn't quite listen to people with more experience and spent my money not very wisely. So I ended up paying not only once, but usually twice or even three times until I had something I was pleased with. Today I'm buying high-end stuff pretty much exclusively, not because I'm a good enough driver that I actually need it, but for the peace of mind, that whatever happens, it is not because I skimped on my equipment again. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Regrets? Plenty of them over the years and this is going to sound very monetary but all the mistakes I made from building kit I just class as a learning curve! But from selling a Porsche 959 for £25 (mind you that was back in the 80s so not to bad) to selling my rc10 re-release on Ebay and only getting £130 then literally the following month they started to massively rocket in value! Don't think they are worth what they are selling for at the moment!.

But the biggest regret was the losi rockrey I bought and it wasn't cheap to buy stock In box and i just wasn't getting on with it! Nothing wrong with the car itself just not my thing when I was running it! so I had the bright idea to spend an absolute fortune on it hoping I would begin to love it and it just never happened but it wasn't a total disaster because I took it to a not so local hobby shop to size a better battery for it and the shop owner fell in love with it after I said I wasn't getting on with it and he had put an order in for two turbo optima for customers but one had cancelled after putting a deposit down on it so he could do a good deal.........long story short I was the owner of the turbo optima (which to be honest is a stunning buggy) with savox servo and brushed combo but the money I'd spend on that rockrey I probably could have bought three kyosho kits?.

20190209_130846.jpg

20211127_114227.jpg

19 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Yep, every time i get home and the wife opens the door :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Painting when cold...this has gotten me a few times.  I need to just be patient and wait for the weather to get warm again since I dont have a suitable place to paint inside.   

It is possible to paint when it is cold, I had done it many times. It takes a little planning. For me, I set the heat pump to boost just before stepping out (as it takes time to ramp up) and made sure there is enough space in the path of the warm air for whatever I am painting (more space required for 1/10 shells, less for 1/24 scale statics). Then I spray outside and immediately bring it in and place it in the cleared spot. The difficult part is, if it is raining, to avoid rain from falling on the wet paint. 

If you have wet radiators, the top of double radiators (usually in the living room) is a great drying rack. Do not try this on electric or storage radiators, especially RC shells. 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

It is possible to paint when it is cold, I had done it many times. It takes a little planning. For me, I set the heat pump to boost just before stepping out (as it takes time to ramp up) and made sure there is enough space in the path of the warm air for whatever I am painting (more space required for 1/10 shells, less for 1/24 scale statics). Then I spray outside and immediately bring it in and place it in the cleared spot. The difficult part is, if it is raining, to avoid rain from falling on the wet paint. 

If you have wet radiators, the top of double radiators (usually in the living room) is a great drying rack. Do not try this on electric or storage radiators, especially RC shells. 

Yea I did that once, as soon as the wife smelled it that was out.  I had to agree, the smell was pretty awful.  

3 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Yea I did that once, as soon as the wife smelled it that was out.  I had to agree, the smell was pretty awful.  

Ah, too bad then. I used to spray right in the house and wife is usually not bothered about it. In fact she is used to it after years of smelling the paint, so she hardly notice me drying paint in the house. Don't spray indoors now due to the permanent "dust" and kids. 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Ah, too bad then. I used to spray right in the house and wife is usually not bothered about it. In fact she is used to it after years of smelling the paint, so she hardly notice me drying paint in the house. Don't spray indoors now due to the permanent "dust" and kids. 

Lucky you!  My daughter is 18 months old now so I'd probably be dead if I tried it again :)   It's OK, I can wait.  I can take stuff to work and paint it after hours in the shop but it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth.   

17 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Lucky you!  My daughter is 18 months old now so I'd probably be dead if I tried it again :)   It's OK, I can wait.  I can take stuff to work and paint it after hours in the shop but it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth.   

Yah, @18 months will be affected by the fumes badly. I introduced them to spray painting at about 5 yo, that is when my girl started watching me spray paint in the shed. Will probably reach her airbrushing when she is 8. Although i introduced her to model making at around 3 1/2.

• Like 1