Collin

TRF211X - Replica

I got the opportunity to study some early TRF prototypes lately, also the legendary TRF211X. Little by little I made nice replica parts and now I think its almost enough to start the built. Last parts to be made are the aluminum kickup and motorguard. Material is ordered, belive me, its not easy to find for example 1.5mm sheets in higher strenght. And its even more hard to bend this material without breaking,... we will see how it comes along. Standard aluminum is no good idesr to use, it will bend like butter.

Anyway, I made some research and meanwhile I know about three different evolution stages of the TRF211X. Some have Dyna Storm suspension arms, some took them from Super Astute.
But there is a unicorn, a slim chassis version with machined TRF arms,. But better forget about this version, I only saw one blurry photo, beside was a Yeti-like creature and a flying saucer in the background. :lol:

Now I took the version with Super Astute arms, same as the very first kits have been. Chassis and upper dack is made of carbonfiber, front and rear shocktower is made of frp (fiberglass).

211x_001.jpg
(Dont mind the Egress gearbox, this is another pair of shoes.)

211x_002.jpg

Left is PA12 nylon printed and coated matt black. Right side is some magic voodoo people resin print. Its really strong, like original ABS but still not that good then PA12. It looks so super cool from the surface and from details, mention the typo on the suspension blocks!

But the reason I choose the PA12 ones, even if they dont look so nice, I want to run this as a vintage buggy but with fun and pleasure, not worrie about breaking anything. So I keep the resin printed ones for another project maybe...

Front bulkhead, it is very different to the Dyna Storm ones but in the detail.
211x_003.jpg

Same with the shocktower.
211x_004.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Hey my friend, since a long time, back on TC and just right for your new build thread!:) Keen on learning the TRF211X history from your replica build!

Very cool project Tom! And the Egress gearbox makes me curious. Got a slight idea...

Still working on my new Tamiya mancave after our moval, but TC time will come again! 

Have fun during the build, you got the first follower!:P

Kind regards and greets to Vienna,

Matthias

• Like 1

Great project! Keep us all updated please! What are your plans for the body shell out of interest?

This was the plan :(

211x_005.jpg

211x_006.jpg

Its for the bin. I hope I will get a better one soon... :unsure: But shell is at the end, so I dont worry yet.

But today I could not stop. This is the result. Red parts are placeholder : )

211x_007.jpg

211x_008.jpg

Soon more : )

• Like 8

I am wondering who knows about this detail:

TRF211x suspension blocks + Super Astute arm + 3x55mm shaft. The metal reinforcing plate fits at the front nicely. No play at all and perfect movement.

211x_009.jpg

But the manual shows the metal reinforcing plate between suspension block and suspension arm:
211x_010.jpg

Also the pics on various models (sourced on web) shows the bar installd like in the manual:

211x_011.jpg
(Source: https://www.rc10talk.com/download/file.php?id=66168&mode=view)

Okay I understand that you need some space for the battery but to fit the metal plate I have to take off a bit of the arms on the inside facing the suspension block.
Very mystery, since the manual dose not say anything about modifying at all.

• Like 5

Ah Tom, you even got the manual!:) Great, that you show all the details of this special TRF car. For sure, having the plate in front of the wishbone doesn´t hurt the function, if it´s o.k. with your battery. But for historical reasons, I´d go with the manual in this special case. Looking sleek already, and sorry for the body. But you´ll fix it in the end, I´m quite sure!

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Ah Tom, you even got the manual!:) Great, that you show all the details of this special TRF car. For sure, having the plate in front of the wishbone doesn´t hurt the function, if it´s o.k. with your battery. But for historical reasons, I´d go with the manual in this special case. Looking sleek already, and sorry for the body. But you´ll fix it in the end, I´m quite sure!

HI Matthias. I had to stop my built because I need to make the aluminum kickup and motor guard now. Beside this I started the second built for the collection museum. I have plenty of original parts beside some repro parts for that one. There are some more funny features like the plastic clutch housing which needs a special cover and so on. On that version I cutted the little spacers off the arms to gain space for the metal plate.

Will post more pics later.

• Like 3

Hi there... made some progress today.

211x_012a.jpg

My runner got silver sleeved damper, the museum piece in the background will get some nice 211x replica damper. Have been at the cnc guy today and got a fabulous present from him. Full aluminum Super Astute arms he made 20 years ago. :wub:  So lucky to found a professional metalworker in my hometown who is also deep into RC.

211x_012b.jpg

I made the mounts like taken from the original but a bit taller. Sleeved damper have a bit bigger diameter, also the springs.

211x_013.jpg

Hehey, I had also some good luck finding this beauty in new for a sensational price. I think the TRF Acto Power is just good enough for this project. Still not shure which ESC, but probably a newer one. I have a spare Ko Propo Hara Twister, a GM Galaxy HEL 3000, a Novak Hyperfet. Hmmm... dont know yet.
211x_014.jpg

211x_015.jpg

Now I am still waiting for aluminum sheets. This time of waiting is so anoying but okay, now its time to continue the Jamie Booth Egress or the TRF212G. So many ongoing projects and I only need one little bit here and there and they all will be finisehd in the same moment. Cant wait to see them side by side.

Thats it for now : )

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Matthias. Even if it is a replica and a half original / half replica, theyboth look so great. They are even more fun to build then the Dyna Storm. Some how more reduced, the open chassis with no sidepanels, single upper deck and so on. You obviously see that the TRF211x has less parts.

• Like 1

Yes, this is super cool. Having been away from Tamiya for so long I know very little about this legend ;) but you’re build has intrigued me and I’m now reading up!

Great build and I can’t wait to see more.

Tom, can you tell us more about the special TRF dampers? Do you make replicas from Sleeved dampers? Or from another brand?

The history of those early TRF developments is so interesting. Thes were the times, winning an offroad title was still on Tamiya´s list. Quite a shame, that they focus on onroad only these days. (which is still better than doing nothing)...

Have a nice sunday,

Matthias

• Like 1

The original damper where non sleeved - sleeved damper. :lol: That means, they where seales with o-rings at the top and bottom but had no sleeve inside. So it came they where a tiny bit slimmer then the blue sleeved damper as we know them. Also springs where smaller in diameter.

But the 411X for example had sleeved dampers at the rear and mini sleeved at the front. Yes, mini sleeved. They are tiny : ) About 30mm high damper body.

There will be a few sets of those mini sleeved and a few sets of the TRF damper. Most people who have original TRF buggies from that era are missing this dampers. They mainly have hi caps mounted.

Also when you look back to 90s racing reports, lot of team drivers switched over to Losi damper or other brands. To be honest, I have no pair of sleeved damper who are not leaking permanently, when you use them under racing conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, this is super cool. Having been away from Tamiya for so long I know very little about this legend ;) but you’re build has intrigued me and I’m now reading up!

Great build and I can’t wait to see more.

Hi there. I can recommend built treads from fella @pUs who wrote two very detaild threads about the 211x and the 411x. Also on the other knowen forums you can find really interesting informations.

For me this is the most pleasant built/replica since a long while. Not much tinkering, just doing : ) And also always this iconic touch.

There is only one issue with my runner, I have to hold myself back not to start tuning and modding it too much LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Tom, thanks for the history and background on them! Very interesting, also that the later series was somehow different!

Regarding the leaking Sleeved ones: As they have no bladder, there is adanger of filling too much oil. So if you not close them with piston rod totally pressed in during closing, you will get somehow a hydraulic lock in full bump. This will make any shock leak during hard racing, because the sealings can´t handle it. (same in a real shock). And there´s a deeper knowledge  to "leaking", too.

You have to separate between "weepage" and "leakage". A piston rod coming out in rebound stage out of the shock body is never 100% dry, and shouldn´t be. It has to have a slight oil film, which is travelling in and out of the shock, to get best lubrication and prevent from  sqeak noises. So this film is naturally attracting dirt, which is the reason why every shock oil inside gets dirty and dark over time. Only solution is a gaitor (front strut of 1:1 car, rear dust tube).

Of course you loose a little bit oil over total runtime, because dust is soaking up part of the oil on the piston rod and lost for backtravel into the shock body. (scraped off at the rod guide with dirt)

Maybe this is somehow helpful for your findings / evaluation. I can recommend also better O-rings than the ancient red Tamiya ones. They are better than the Mk.1 black ones, but there are alternatives nowadays. In my Dyna with your conversion, I use the revolution racing ones inside the sleeved dampers. Really smooth and durable.

• Like 2

Looking so good Collin. Awesome! I saw your email, will respond shortly..

Regarding 211X dampers and sleeved ones: I'm actually not sure the 211X "proto" dampers are different in diameter? I'll try and measure later this evening. 
A bit of trivia: There was also another pre-211X prototype dampers in the development line, I have a set of rears on my pre-211X prototype car. Not as shiny as the 211X ones but a lot more silver looking than the hicaps. Instead of the tapered bottom ends its got a nut shaped piece that threads into the shock body. Tamiya also did a few sets for some team drivers that were anodized in red and gold. 

End of trivia for today ;)

• Like 2

@ruebiracer Yep, I saw your built yesterday and did mention the white o-rings. Even better I think are those square shaped rings with sealing lips I think.

Last time I maintainenced the sleeved ones on my Mid Motor there was only a ugly brown soupe inside : ) Next season will be done with Losi .22 dampers. I think I have to move to the track for a week with tent, fridge and bbq only for testing different setup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pUs said:

Regarding 211X dampers and sleeved ones: I'm actually not sure the 211X "proto" dampers are different in diameter? I'll try and measure later this evening.

I compared the silver (with a touch of gold) anodized damper of the 211x kit #001 with the well known blue sleeved dampers. I never saw any other TRF damper but to be honest, I still know nothing about TRF history compared to you or other collectors. ;)

• Like 2

Had to measure them up..

Hicap rears: 14mm
211X pre-prototype: 13.4mm (!)
211X: 13mm
Sleeved: 13mm

Never opened up the pre-prototype shocks, no idea what pistons are in them. The 211X kit had machined pistons which I always assumed just were the same as on the hicaps, but seeing that the outer dimensions are different it might not be that simple..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool, thank you! Looks pretty much from shock body side like a mix between a sleeved and a rere Hicap Damper with the hex lower shock cap!

Maybe good for Tom to know, that the hex rod guide could be sourced from spares (Rough rider, or Rere Hicap spares), when faking or designing Replicas?

Thanks for those secret insights!

5 hours ago, pUs said:

Had to measure them up..

Hicap rears: 14mm
211X pre-prototype: 13.4mm (!)
211X: 13mm
Sleeved: 13mm

Never opened up the pre-prototype shocks, no idea what pistons are in them. The 211X kit had machined pistons which I always assumed just were the same as on the hicaps, but seeing that the outer dimensions are different it might not be that simple..

Yoiu where right, I have the same measurings on my drawings. 13mm outside, 11mm inside. Dont know why I thougt one are slimmer. Maybe it was only the springs, cant remember.

I am curious about this pre-proto dampers. : )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pUs said:

43E04AD7-9309-45DF-8A00-0AEF94856633.jpeg

Funky gearbox or motorplate or whatever this blur plate looks like in the background. Even original dirt and debris on it? So cool :wub:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Cool, thank you! Looks pretty much from shock body side like a mix between a sleeved and a rere Hicap Damper with the hex lower shock cap!

Maybe good for Tom to know, that the hex rod guide could be sourced from spares (Rough rider, or Rere Hicap spares), when faking or designing Replicas?

Thanks for those secret insights!

The TRF dampers I am doing the replica have no hex cap, they look like the sleeved damper ones but very little difference in measurings. Also they use rubber seal and no plastic seal.

Again, my main reference is the TRF kit #001. So I want to clarify, there are floating changes in the design of the 211X and you dont really know whats original and what is not. Also because of the fact, that tream drivers made so many conversions and mods to their vehicel.

:)

• Like 2