Kai City RC

Finally! Optima Mid is coming!

Optima Mid has been revealed at the KYOSHO Fair. I’m very excited for this release. 😃 

Raced against them back in the day. Always wanted one, but way to expensive then.  Finally! 😁224077.jpg?x=311210

224077.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Been trying to pre-order one here in the U.S..

Nobody seems to be taking orders. Very frustrating. 

If those are the launch shots, then it all looks pretty familiar. Nice that they are brining the gold shocks back, although they do not look like direct reproductions of the originals. Not sure if those "Peugeot" wheels are direct copies either. Kyosho continue to make their box art liveries look terrible with excessive quantities of unnecessary text. And does this thing come equipped with 64dp gears, as it looks like it. Weird, as I don't think any Kyosho model came equipped with 64dp.

The existing Kyosho reres have 48p gears. This probably also will.

Agreed that Kyosho box art makes their cars look "Much Fast! Many Speed! So Race!". But since I have never built a box art car, I could not care less.

• Haha 1

I want one. I know for a fact, I'll be purchasing a body set and the belt covers so I can complete my Turbo SE build. 

1 hour ago, vintagebackyardrc said:

Going to pick up one of these for the channel for sure. Never had the pleasure of driving one.

I raced one in the late 80s. NiCads made for five thrilling minutes with that car. Big LiPOs and brushless are going to be exhausting, but totally worth it. Don’t think about it, just buy this car.

EDIT: Thermal management is going to be challenging if this car is used with brushless. No room for an ESC fan if the suggested location is used. Don’t let that stop you from buying it.

Would someone mind telling a NOOB like me the difference between the Mid and the Turbo Optima Gold 30619

Is it mostly aesthetic? 

11 minutes ago, King_Pin said:

Would someone mind telling a NOOB like me the difference between the Mid and the Turbo Optima Gold 30619

Is it mostly aesthetic? 

Nope, completely different designs. The original Optima/Turbo Optima used a multi-piece ladder frame amd had its motor behind the rear axle. The Mid, as the name suggests, is mid-motor, with the motor just ahead of the rear axle. It also uses a one-piece aluminum pan chassis. The suspension arms/hubs/axles are the same, but nothing else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Nope, completely different designs. The original Optima/Turbo Optima used a multi-piece ladder frame amd had its motor behind the rear axle. The Mid, as the name suggests, is mid-motor, with the motor just ahead of the rear axle. It also uses a one-piece aluminum pan chassis. The suspension arms/hubs/axles are the same, but nothing else.

Thank you.  I fell in love with the looks of the Optima Gold which is odd because as far as colors go Gold is one of my least favorites.  

I see a difference in the suspension setup especially the front shock system.  I'm assuming the Mid is updated and more capable?   

Not updated, just set up differently. All the parts are basically the same.

• Like 1

I keep getting messages that shipment of mine is delayed.  😞

I am in the US,  FWIW. 

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, King_Pin said:

Thank you.  I fell in love with the looks of the Optima Gold which is odd because as far as colors go Gold is one of my least favorites.  

I see a difference in the suspension setup especially the front shock system.  I'm assuming the Mid is updated and more capable?   

I thought the Optima was a 1/8 scale.  :(  I don't need or want another 1/10.  

Then I saw the javelin on my local shops website and they have it listed as 1/8 and I was happy again until after research and seeing the box it's also 1/10.  :angry:

Looks like I have to find something else for my next build. 

• Confused 1

On 3/21/2022 at 12:59 PM, King_Pin said:

I thought the Optima was a 1/8 scale.  :(  I don't need or want another 1/10.  

Then I saw the javelin on my local shops website and they have it listed as 1/8 and I was happy again until after research and seeing the box it's also 1/10.  :angry:

Looks like I have to find something else for my next build. 

The kyosho optima range and all the legendary models are 1/10th apart from the fantom which is 1/12th, 1/8th was always originally for rally x nitro but then later because of environmental reasons (probably) brushless electric has made an appearance!👍

• Thanks 1

Hello guys

just as many as you guys I just preordered one! Can‘t wait to unbox this legend!

question: do you know, if some Parts from the Optimum would fit? Eg swing arms, knuckles, etc? There are some nice alloy parts for the Optimum…

thanks for your answers/imputs!

thomas

On 4/2/2022 at 6:52 AM, Tumbi said:

Hello guys

just as many as you guys I just preordered one! Can‘t wait to unbox this legend!

question: do you know, if some Parts from the Optimum would fit? Eg swing arms, knuckles, etc? There are some nice alloy parts for the Optimum…

thanks for your answers/imputs!

thomas

The Mid shares many parts with the re-released Optima/Turbo Optima and Javelin. There are however some subtle differences, swing arms being one of them! I recommend you check out the detailed article recently posted on https://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com. The interview with Akira Kogawa on Feb 14th has the info you need. 

Hope that helps! Oh, and check out my YouTube channel - I have already posted a couple of running videos with the newly built Mid. 😁👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1