Big Jon

XV-02 on the way!

40 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

XV-02 chassis at a glance:
• Comes with two 39T differential gears and one 40T differential gear for adjustment of front and rear drive balance.
• Use 39T gear (w/15T gear) on the front and 40T gear (w/15T gear) on the rear for drive balance bias to front and vice-versa for drive balance bias to rear.
• Long aluminum dampers are employed at front and rear.

Tamiya-58707-XV-02-Pro-Chassis-Kit.jpg

So excited about this chassis. Especially the ability to give the chassis a more RWD feeling and the fit I won’t have to splurge on upgrade shocks.

Is there any guidance on when this may be available?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njmlondon said:

So excited about this chassis. Especially the ability to give the chassis a more RWD feeling and the fit I won’t have to splurge on upgrade shocks.

Is there any guidance on when this may be available?

Tamico are saying end of June

I just noticed the battery position. I know a guy on RCtech that will lose all his marbles.. OMG they raise the centre of gravity 😂 

Im sure it will work out fine. 

• Haha 2

I gotta say I want to see how they retain the battery in that position.  With it being a rally car I would expect something fairly robust would be necessary.

If there’s 50 mm width to the servo/battery side, then I’d lay a shorty flat in there and think nothing more of it. 
I’ll wait to compare pricing of this and the LC PTG-2 Pro kit before I get excited about rally cars again. 

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

€270 (+VAT) on Tamico, so roughly £300?

Converts to $308 USD. The LC is $299 plus free shipping at Riptide RC, and doesn’t come with battery weirdness.

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I just noticed the battery position. I know a guy on RCtech that will lose all his marbles.. OMG they raise the centre of gravity 😂 

Im sure it will work out fine. 

Well I'm probably that guy and you know what, I'm on here too...

It's just another example of Tamiya's recent trend of making cars that are different for different's sake.

Some really great features here for a rally platform - but nobody benefits from a higher centre of gravity. Not even bashers. And if you're using a square LiPo with bullets it will be a pain to wire in (not that Tamiya pitches their models at anyone who uses LiPo, let alone a square pack with bullet connectors).

They could have put the spur at the front or at the back - like previous shaft cars - and kept the CG low. But then it would have looked like a sensible design. Tamiya couldn't possibly do that, so they had to stick the spur in the middle to mess things up.

It's deliberately bad engineering for the sake of being different. Tamiya didn't used to do things like this - they tried new things, they got it wrong sometimes, but they also defined so many of the classes of car that we use today. Cars like this and the TD4 are just frustrating to see. 

• Like 1

I don't think that higher CG will be an issue - it's some 200g being higher by some 5mm? That doesn't matter that much on a low grip surface this thing is intended for,  and it can even help in specific conditions.

I think that motivation behind the design is more forward weight. The TB05 has battery and motor further back that the XV.

Edit: I tried to higlight shape of the bathtub, quite interesting design

received_542034086830189.jpeg

• Like 5

The upright battery is odd.  There was definitely room to have a slightly wider chassis with a battery lying flat.  Even if it was on an upwards angle to keep the chassis bottom away from the surface in corners.

One reason might be there's a possibility of adding different suspension to create a variety of new vehicles with the XV02.  Longer arms for a buggy or truck.  Lower mounts for a touring car.  Like the XV01, it wouldn't excel with different setups but it's still versatile.  A new bumper and it would make a better truck than the Asterion did.

I wonder if they're going to end the XV01 production?  These days a new chassis doesn't seem to mean it's always a replacement for the old chassis.

Perhaps Tamiya - San read this and thought it’s time to mix things up!

I’ve little idea on CG but found this quite interesting, and enjoyed the video so much I ordered a new Yaris body to do as box art it looks so good!

• Like 1

It looks like a fun build. But I know I will be suckered into buying most of the hop-ups 

• Like 1

I’ve been developing an itch to get a chassis that’s not a buggy or truck but I’ve managed not to scratch it.

But now this. Stop it Tamiya!!! ;) 

4 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

I’ve little idea on CG but found this quite interesting, and enjoyed the video so much I ordered a new Yaris body to do as box art it looks so good!

I idly wondered this too - whether you would want ballast on the other side to offset the weight of the battery 

8 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

My thoughts exactly. On that video the guy adds nearly a full 1Kg in weight as high as possible to increase CG, but unfortunately also total weight and thus stresses the drive train. I've been thinking a good compromise would be to increase the CG by moving existing chassis components further up (e.g. battery, ESC, receiver), therefore not increasing the total weight. The issue with this is that many cars would be transversally unbalanced (TT-02). The XV-02 seems to be a small step towards this direction but looking at the chassis something comes to mind: without the battery the car is fairly transversally balanced, meaning you could raise components without upsetting it too much. I guess you could argue the same about the XV-01 though.

Something that I think looks interesting is that on the XV-02 the vast majority of the mass is co-located with the CG right at the center of the car. The fact that the battery is tilted towards the center, as opposed to flat and further away, adds to this effect. This should translate into a car that spins around its CG very easily (very low polar moment of inertia), meaning both initiating and ending a slide should take small effort. Add this the fact that you can overdrive the front or rear, and you have a car that could power-slide quite well.

This is not the case on the XV-01 where the CG is perhaps a bit behind the front axle, but the weight is spread quite longitudinally throughout the car. It's polar inertia would be significantly higher.

16 hours ago, sosidge said:

Some really great features here for a rally platform - but nobody benefits from a higher centre of gravity. Not even bashers.

Under this logic, all there would be in motorsport would be F1. There are many disciplines in racing because different cars produce a different race feel. We have truck racing with high CG after all.

For bashing, I'll take a car that is fun & different to drive over performance any day of the week. For racing, unless it's an open category, something that requires more skill to drive and looks great doing so would be more fun both to drive and watch. If you had a race category where all cars were XV-02, you could have a fantastic race with true rally feel. It is only on open categories that maximizing performance is king.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, sosidge said:

Well I'm probably that guy and you know what, I'm on here too...

It's just another example of Tamiya's recent trend of making cars that are different for different's sake.

Some really great features here for a rally platform - but nobody benefits from a higher centre of gravity. Not even bashers. And if you're using a square LiPo with bullets it will be a pain to wire in (not that Tamiya pitches their models at anyone who uses LiPo, let alone a square pack with bullet connectors).

They could have put the spur at the front or at the back - like previous shaft cars - and kept the CG low. But then it would have looked like a sensible design. Tamiya couldn't possibly do that, so they had to stick the spur in the middle to mess things up.

It's deliberately bad engineering for the sake of being different. Tamiya didn't used to do things like this - they tried new things, they got it wrong sometimes, but they also defined so many of the classes of car that we use today. Cars like this and the TD4 are just frustrating to see. 

Sosidge, you would be one of them, but not the only one 😉. In the case of the TA08, the entire chassis is super lcg, so the minimal increase in cg by V chassis is negligible. It’s a very competitive chassis in stock classes such as VTA / USGT.

Here I agree, and so far I prefer the XV01 layout because it’s works very well for rallye. The saviour for the battery could be the Protek LiHv battery. It’s a narrow hard case LiPo that is half the wedge of standard hard case.. could work here if it fits.  (It’s square in width and height but length is same standard LiPo) Maybe we’re taking is same battery. 

Tamiya does things for sake of being different but it’s not entirely new.  Can’t  say for sure if it’s deliberate, or just amusing to them? Going back 40 years to the Sand Scorcher. You had a relatively simple layout with a flat chassis, rear arms with shock and torsion bar for springs. Front parallel trailing arms, shocks and torsion springs again. Overall a sensible design, that should have been followed up with a similar yet lighter design. What did they follow it up with instead? The ORV, odd shaped chassis with odd shape transmission housing, rear trailing arms and the front, can you even call those arms? the spring tucked in bulkhead actuated by a tab in the arm, and a torsion bar attached to front bumper, that had no spring action 🤣.. to be followed by WildOne which again had a fairly sensible layout. 

• Like 3

As a sucker for clean wiring, routing, tucking and shortening wires will be a challenge. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

As a sucker for clean wiring, routing, tucking and shortening wires will be a challenge. :lol:

Well I’m still trying to figure out as where to put a slipper clutch?🤣😂

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, Blista said:

I wonder if they're going to end the XV01 production?  These days a new chassis doesn't seem to mean it's always a replacement for the old chassis.

I hope not. I love the XV01. This looks different enough to be run alongside the XV01.

• Like 1

I think the XV-02 will be as big a flop as the DB-02, and then Tamiya will start milking the XV-01 chassis by bringing out the XV-01 Pro-R, XV-01 Pro-RR and XV-01 Pro-RRR in quick succession... 😆

I've still got my pre-order in for one, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Here’s the video! 

Here’s a cool bit from the side of the box: 

“Includes two 39T differential gears for front and rear, and one 40T differential gear as an option. Use 39T gears front and rear for 50:50 drive balance, or a combination of 39T and 40T gears for front or rear bias (to the 39T end) as desired.”

Edited by Motozilla
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, martinjpayne said:

I think the XV-02 will be as big a flop as the DB-02, and then Tamiya will start milking the XV-01 chassis by bringing out the XV-01 Pro-R, XV-01 Pro-RR and XV-01 Pro-RRR in quick succession... 😆

I've still got my pre-order in for one, though.

I'd be tempted by a Pro TC version

I’m likely in after watching the video.  Seems like it would be a fun build and interesting runner.  Maybe I will actually get my XV-01 built and running before release.

Some snaps from the video which I found interesting:

The differential is a new design with 1280 bearings. 

IMG_20220227_230634.thumb.jpg.1ede393bc7c6f0dc30a0ca4efd545846.jpg

New size of driveshafts - they look quite beefy, too.

IMG_20220227_230518.thumb.jpg.36c6325041bf41cb758cb0515977e502.jpg

It seems that they tried to get as much ride height as possible - here, it's visible, that the differential case reaches bellow bathtub and suspension mounts.

IMG_20220227_230453.thumb.jpg.1c983cdb961c801e7cd02ea582e78f69.jpg

Detail of suspension mounts

IMG_20220227_230657.thumb.jpg.aa5a5b27e3b146e34a945b4665fab6f0.jpg

And newly designed rear hub carriers.

IMG_20220227_230540.thumb.jpg.9d2cb2bd11f00537f9e3d6849d02c33a.jpg

And center gearbox. Did they say something about center differential in the video? It certainly looks like it could fit there. Also, the adjustable battery stop is visible here.

Screenshot_2022-02-27-11-35-55-156_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.9171e0e3897ac52c5868416f1bb7939e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I cant see the video on my phone browser. Whats the velcro for? Is it a tight fit to the bodyshell or is there a top cover to seal the workings like the XV01?

And no mud guards?