Big Jon

XV-02 on the way!

1 hour ago, Blista said:

Same.  RCmart have the TD2 pre-order listed for NZ$400 plus NZ$125 shipping which works out to be around the same as buying it locally.  No motor or ESC, and only basic tyres with the kit.  The value just isn't there.  Maybe prices will drop later in the year.

It's interesting that it is that expensive. I can order the TD2 in Germany for €245 posted (and in stock), which is less than NZ$400 and around £200. And the XV-02 is on pre-order for €300 which is around £250.

I was always jealous on the cheap kit prices outside Germany, but now it seems to be the other direction. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blista said:

Same.  RCmart have the TD2 pre-order listed for NZ$400 plus NZ$125 shipping which works out to be around the same as buying it locally.  No motor or ESC, and only basic tyres with the kit.  The value just isn't there.  Maybe prices will drop later in the year.

I'd love to see that.... but have you seen the price of ANYTHING drop in the past 3 years!?? 😭😭  It just keeps going up, while Salaries stay nearly stagnant. At least for most of us. The few Collectors and Flippers seem to have money to spare, and keep paying the higher prices, justifying the Company's price point......

They're NOT helping. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

I'd love to see that.... but have you seen the price of ANYTHING drop in the past 3 years!?? 😭😭  It just keeps going up, while Salaries stay nearly stagnant. At least for most of us. The few Collectors and Flippers seem to have money to spare, and keep paying the higher prices, justifying the Company's price point......

They're NOT helping. 

Incomes aren't even close to keeping up with inflation in the States. I've cut my hobby budget to the bone (Super Avante will be my last new kit for a while), our entertainment budget is almost nothing, and we eat red meat every other week now. Don't even get me started on gas and new car prices.

Fortunately, it's not terribly expensive to enjoy our hobby, especially if you're just doing regular maintenance and other small jobs on existing projects.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Incomes aren't even close to keeping up with inflation in the States. I've cut my hobby budget to the bone (Super Avante will be my last new kit for a while), our entertainment budget is almost nothing, and we eat red meat every other week now. Don't even get me started on gas and new car prices.

Fortunately, it's not terribly expensive to enjoy our hobby, especially if you're just doing regular maintenance and other small jobs on existing projects.

You're so right Jon!! 🤬🤬  It's become impossible even for what we considered "Normal Living". And most of the decline since January 2021... HMMMMMM.......

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

You're so right Jon!! 🤬🤬  It's become impossible even for what we considered "Normal Living". And most of the decline since January 2021... HMMMMMM.......

Make that March of 2020 and I would agree with you. The pandemic has really screwed things up for everyone.

• Like 4

Yes, the Pandemic did start this catastrophe. But at least we could still afford Gas and FOOD.

Yeah its mental at the moment. What came through the post for me yesterday from EON.

spacer.png

Thats for a one bed bungalow, not as if i live in a massive castle. I thought electric was supposed to be the new green fuel after they announced the doing away with new gas boiler installs after 2023.

Commuting to work is also now costing me nearly £85 every five days in petrol at just over £1.50 a litre which is being projected to go up to around £2 shortly (or equivilant to about $9.91 gallon for our US buddies)

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

.....Commuting to work is also now costing me nearly £85 every five days in petrol at just over £1.50 a litre which is being projected to go up to around £2 shortly (or equivilant to about $9.91 gallon for our US buddies)

We feel your pain.... in the U.S. gas just passed $4.00/gallon, and is supposed to reach $9.00 by Summer!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

But some people STILL think everything's OK 

All that being said, I'm extremely excited about the XV-02. It's going to give us all something more akin to a small 4WD buggy, and should jump much better than the XV-01.

I've always wondered why they never did an R or another run of the pro. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

in the U.S. gas just passed $4.00/gallon, and is supposed to reach $9.00 by Summer!!!!

My apologies for derailment, but where did you get this figure? The latest figures I can find state a high of around $4.25 by May and staying over $4.00 for the summer. I like to examine various sources of information in preparation for summer plans.

• Sad 1

I REALLY like it!!! Just wish it wasn't SO much.... I understand it's quite a bit of Kit, impressive specs. People have been concerned about the Battery placement... it looks like a little work with a Dremel, and a variety of Batteries should fit. I just like that it DOESN'T Install from underneath with a screw on door!! 👍👍 That was really my only complaint with the XV-01. 

You can see the TT-02 influence, particularly in the Diffs. I would love to check one out, if I'm able. I'm so glad that Tamiya is finally coming out with NEW Cars!! Not just revamps and Re-Res. 

• Like 4

I really want to like this car, but it's not doing anything for me at the moment which is super rare for any new kit!

It looks TB05/TC01 centre gearbox, with TT02 front and rear gearboxes, and all the original XV01 suspension - so there's nothing not to like really (assuming they don't use the most basic TT02 diff)

I will wait for some build threads and reviews I think before committing to this one!

No front motor means that's a no from me, gonna buy an XV01 Integrale seeing as they're floating around again!

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 3:33 AM, GreatDane said:

Kentech have posted several images and a looong list of items and Hop-ups for the XV-02 (and TT-02):

https://kentech.wordpress.com/2022/03/09/tamiya-xv-02-parts-descriptions-pics/

Wicked!

Can anyone explain the following to me:

(this is from the Kentech blog):

"22048 XV-02 Slipper Clutch Set

This Hop-Up Option set is for use with XV-02 chassis cars to protect the drivetrain from sudden surges and helps compensate for low grip."

I don't understand how a slipper clutch helps compensate for low grip. If you set the slipper at any given level of tightness, you are setting the torque at above which the slipper will slip. It seems very unlikely that you could set the slipping point BELOW the slipping point of the tires on a low-grip surface (say dirt)... which is pretty low. If you did, the slipper would slip a LOT and probably melt. I usually set my slippers so that turning the wheels while locking the gear is pretty difficult (but possible). At that level of force, there's no way the slipper would give on a low-grip surface.

Am I missing something? I get the 'drivetrain surge" point above (that implies high traction obviously, else there would be no 'surge'). I just don't see how a slipper "compensates for low grip".

With a decent slipper setup you can set it loose enough that it will slip at the same time as the tyres. Usually when you pull out of a corner or from a standing start, its not eliminating tyre slip but reducing the slip ratio down.  It will get warm but not melt, race kits sometimes use multi-plate slippers to help handle more heat.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:08 PM, smirk-racing said:

Can anyone explain the following to me:

(this is from the Kentech blog):

"22048 XV-02 Slipper Clutch Set

This Hop-Up Option set is for use with XV-02 chassis cars to protect the drivetrain from sudden surges and helps compensate for low grip."

I don't understand how a slipper clutch helps compensate for low grip. If you set the slipper at any given level of tightness, you are setting the torque at above which the slipper will slip. It seems very unlikely that you could set the slipping point BELOW the slipping point of the tires on a low-grip surface (say dirt)... which is pretty low. If you did, the slipper would slip a LOT and probably melt. I usually set my slippers so that turning the wheels while locking the gear is pretty difficult (but possible). At that level of force, there's no way the slipper would give on a low-grip surface.

Am I missing something? I get the 'drivetrain surge" point above (that implies high traction obviously, else there would be no 'surge'). I just don't see how a slipper "compensates for low grip".

You are correct.

A slipper clutch will slip on high traction, not low traction. It will also slip on high or hard impact, eg after a jump, when the tyre that is spinning in the air, hits the tarmac and the wheels velocity is changed in an instant due to traction from tarmac.. thereby the slip in the clutch pad absorbs these forces. 

In order for it to slip on low traction, you would need to have it so loose.. that it’s continously slipping which would result in burning of the slipper pad and producing lots of heat.

My XV01 has its original transmission for 10 years and I never used a slipper clutch. 

So unless your going to drop a 4.5 turn brushless motor and plan on taking 10-20’ jumps, you don’t need a slipper.

• Like 1

Indeed. Slippers really are not needed for rally etc. all you do is add weight to the drive train.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where to donwnload a copy of the manual ? Thanks.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:00 PM, qatmix said:

Indeed. Slippers really are not needed for rally etc. all you do is add weight to the drive train.

The reason for the slipper on the XV-02 is for when you are running the optional 40t gear set in either the front or rear, therefore creating overdrive/underdrive. The slipper (or the optional centre oil diff) should be used to prevent the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds from wearing out or putting extra load on the transmission/centre shafts. I don't think the slipper will be needed if you are running the same gear sets front and rear.

Video series, starting with unboxing and then with the build in subsequent videos: