Big Jon

XV-02 on the way!

48 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I cant see the video on my phone browser. Whats the velcro for? Is it a tight fit to the bodyshell or is there a top cover to seal the workings like the XV01?

And no mud guards?

At the early part of the video there is a lexan cover that goes over top of the entire chassis.  I am assuming that is what the velcro is used for.  Also assuming I am not going to have to pay extra for the cover!

• Like 1

Watching it run makes me think this could be a car that lives up to and surpasses the XV01.

I see CVD for the front. What about the rear shafts? Also it is unsual thet Tamiya included aluminum hex hubs in this while retaining steel turnbuckles.

I wonder if they'll release an R version of this. One with the essential hop-ups like aluminum suspension blocks, carbon fiber shock towers, steel gear differentials, etc.

12 hours ago, Honza said:

Some snaps from the video which I found interesting:

The differential is a new design with 1280 bearings. 

IMG_20220227_230634.thumb.jpg.1ede393bc7c6f0dc30a0ca4efd545846.jpg

New size of driveshafts - they look quite beefy, too.

IMG_20220227_230518.thumb.jpg.36c6325041bf41cb758cb0515977e502.jpg

It seems that they tried to get as much ride height as possible - here, it's visible, that the differential case reaches bellow bathtub and suspension mounts.

IMG_20220227_230453.thumb.jpg.1c983cdb961c801e7cd02ea582e78f69.jpg

Detail of suspension mounts

IMG_20220227_230657.thumb.jpg.aa5a5b27e3b146e34a945b4665fab6f0.jpg

And newly designed rear hub carriers.

IMG_20220227_230540.thumb.jpg.9d2cb2bd11f00537f9e3d6849d02c33a.jpg

And center gearbox. Did they say something about center differential in the video? It certainly looks like it could fit there. Also, the adjustable battery stop is visible here.

Screenshot_2022-02-27-11-35-55-156_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.9171e0e3897ac52c5868416f1bb7939e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

I see CVD for the front. What about the rear shafts? Also it is unsual thet Tamiya included aluminum hex hubs in this while retaining steel turnbuckles.

I didn't notice, but I guess they're same as the front ones, that's standard for the PRO variants.

I think that steel turnbuckles are standart for offroad models, even TRF buggies have them, if I'm not mistaken.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, Honza said:

I think that the design is inspired by competition buggies, but instead of saddle pack or shorty, Tamiya chose to place a standard pack on its side. Maybe it'll have pieces needed for the saddle pack configuration. 

spacer.png

What battery is that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

What battery is that?

It's a hardcase saddle pack battery. Two 3.7V batteries connected in series - together they are the same size as a standard 7.4V Hardcase Li-Pol. Side by side, they are same width, as length of a shorty Li-Pol.

It was common in 00's, that competition RC cars had split Nixx pack, with 3-cells on each side. Competition buggies retained this configuration into the Li-Pol age, until it was mostly replaced by the shorty packs.

The Velcro is to secure the dust cover. It’s definitely not as sealed as the XV-01

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Tony has listed the official spares. Seems it shares its diff geometry with the TT02. 

Does it mean, that it will have the open TT02 diffs out of the box, instead of the oil filled ones? 

But the 70T spur gear for XV02 gear differential confirms a center differential option.

2 hours ago, Honza said:

Does it mean, that it will have the open TT02 diffs out of the box, instead of the oil filled ones? 

But the 70T spur gear for XV02 gear differential confirms a center differential option.

No, opposite.. means the XV02 diff can be used on TT02.. could be the same diff that came with TT02 RR / SR.. it will be oil filled. 

5 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

No, opposite.. means the XV02 diff can be used on TT02.. could be the same diff that came with TT02 RR / SR.. it will be oil filled. 

Your friend, Mr. Slipper Clutch expert is back on the other forum. :lol:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Certainly looks like a new diff on the screen shots. Not the tg10 oil filled units with only 2 planetary 🙄 that the TT02 has. 

The new diff will fit the TT02 and replace the older TG10 version. 

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Ah, I didn't notice that the picture on the box is very different design to the TT02. Having this many options for differential is not a bad thing. I found that open rear diff with some AW grease works quite well on a slippery surface.

I presume this is a chassis only kit with wheels but no motor etc. that’s fine but I think they have missed the chance to introduce some new bodyshells at the same time. Sorry but Scoobies and Deltas are getting a bit boring!!! 

15 minutes ago, Honza said:

@Busdriver there's still a chance they'll release a non-pro version with some new bodies.

Let’s hope so!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Your friend, Mr. Slipper Clutch expert is back on the other forum. :lol:

Slippers save lives 

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Juggular said:

.....I wanted Alpine A110 with M06 chassis too. 

Even though orange has been my favorite color for about 10 years now, I think this one is better in blue. I'll have to spend several months deciding which color to go with. 

zWHQbTa.jpg

Always loved this Body!! I just hope to God it isn't PRE-PAINTED. 🙄😲🤬🤬 

The XV-02 is high on my list too. I don't Drift.... so that new layout doesn't detract me at all. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Honza said:

@Busdriver there's still a chance they'll release a non-pro version with some new bodies.

As promising as that sounds, what Tamiya says and DOES, frequently turns out different! 😫🤬  I do hope so. 

I'm just fearing what they're going to CHARGE for this Kit!! Prices have really been getting out of hand. 

I'm actually hoping they start shipping the M07 again!

£339 in the UK according to Tony Tamiya, and that's without shell as far as I can tell. Too rich for my blood! 

(hangs nose over xv01 subaru) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

£339 in the UK according to Tony Tamiya, and that's without shell as far as I can tell. Too rich for my blood! 

(hangs nose over xv01 subaru) 

I've been watching the prices of the latest releases (TD4, TD2, XV02 mainly) and I agree, too expensive for me! Maybe the HK shops will get them at better prices, I'd love the new buggies as runners but its just too much, can almost get a race kit for that, and definitely a like-new secondhand one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've been watching the prices of the latest releases (TD4, TD2, XV02 mainly) and I agree, too expensive for me! Maybe the HK shops will get them at better prices, I'd love the new buggies as runners but its just too much, can almost get a race kit for that, and definitely a like-new secondhand one!

Same.  RCmart have the TD2 pre-order listed for NZ$400 plus NZ$125 shipping which works out to be around the same as buying it locally.  No motor or ESC, and only basic tyres with the kit.  The value just isn't there.  Maybe prices will drop later in the year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1