IoMTom

Spoiler for Wild One…

Hi all,

I want to make a duck tail style spoiler for the Wild One as my kit arrived yesterday. Does anyone have any pattern/material suggestions? I was thinking some sort of carbon fiber effect might gel with the colour scheme, even though I don’t think I’m going to use black for the main body.

I’d have thought some sort of thin plastic sheet but not sure if that would be bendable etc.

any help gratefully received!

thanks

FDF1F5DA-AF20-4FAA-8724-0CE4C2D08994.thumb.jpeg.2a813e688f9f137d92b9aac8d5fef14f.jpeg

9?imp=2046301&trknvp=cp%3D2322090%26ghi%

Im struggling to think how this would work on a Wild One due to the shape of the cage and only ever picured it with a traditional buggy wing. Interesting idea though. Are you thinking of it being a smaller low level duck tail at the very bottom of the cage where it meets the motor / gearbox?

I would try experimenting with some styrene sheet first as using some styrene cement you can fabricate some tabs or lugs at the side for fixing to the cage or the two holes above the cross bar where the lights go

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.

• Like 1

Yeah, WildOne is angular where a duck bill is more a rounded shape.  Interesting idea indeed.  +1 to Superluminal's idea of using styrene sheets (or even card board) to first design what you have in mind.  

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Im struggling to think how this would work on a Wild One due to the shape of the cage and only ever picured it with a traditional buggy wing. Interesting idea though. Are you thinking of it being a smaller low level duck tail at the very bottom of the cage where it meets the motor / gearbox?

I would try experimenting with some styrene sheet first as using some styrene cement you can fabricate some tabs or lugs at the side for fixing to the cage or the two holes above the cross bar where the lights go

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.

Yes, that’s it, essentially sticking up from the rearmost top cage bar, I’m just struggling with the shape seeing as the kit is still in the box 😂

as to angular vs round, I suppose I could mock up both styles and see which one I like. It’s the overall look rather than the exact shape I’m after.

I filled in the rear of my cage with a styrene sheet to mount the rear spare wheel - you could possibly do something similar but extend it further down to the cross bar and blend in a ducktail into that.

spacer.png

• Like 5

What about a combination of the rear cover and duck tail lip inspired by the Bermudez Turbo Javelin? It actually suits the angular rear frame of the wild one very well in this instance. The louvres will be a bit tricky but not insurmountable if drawn out accurately first. 

spacer.png

Wish id thought of this when i built mine now. Hmmm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

What about a combination of the rear cover and duck tail lip inspired by the Bermudez Turbo Javelin? It actually suits the angular rear frame of the wild one very well in this instance. The louvres will be a bit tricky but not insurmountable if drawn out accurately first. 

spacer.png

Ooh,  now I like that, and rear louvres would kind of 80s period correct as well!

Not sure how I’d go about attaching them, I see lots of cardboard modeling in my future!

• Like 1

I'd mount the louvers/duckbill on rails and zip tie the rails onto the roll cage in the back.

However, don't crash and flip the car over.. !

12 hours ago, Superluminal said:

spacer.png

Nice. A while back someone on the WO/FAV group on Facebook posted something similar they had done themselves  but I didn’t save it at the time.

13 hours ago, Superluminal said:

spacer.png

Your FAV looks great ,but it's never too late to re-model  ;)

• Haha 1

Well, I finally got round to completing the kit and now on to build the ducktail! Thought I’d royally cocked up with the colour, but once the decals went on it looks loads better! Pearl white, backed black, with metallic graphite on the roof inserts.

2FC7BAC2-23A0-4784-A7B3-06033828EF2D.thumb.jpeg.db380fee077d82849f1900ddb9d82ecf.jpeg

735DEB4D-50E1-4824-896D-62313ACAEA1F.thumb.jpeg.1be04fe7d5da5f298216bf37fef4a920.jpeg

not going to go with a full louvered back like in the post above, just one off the rear bar, so hopefully will look ‘right’.

• Like 1