16_Bit_Mr_J

Motor for Kyosho Beetle

So I've got a Kyosho Beetle on its way and I'm unsure about the motor to whack in it

I'm a bit sad in that I'd like to stay on brand with it

Want to stay brushed and would like something comparable to say a Tamiya with a Super stock bz 

Would the Beetle and 490 Le Mans be a similar setup ? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hcp22 said:

I would think the LeMans 490 is a hotter option!

Well it would be rude not to go for it then 😁

• Haha 1

Ultimately, it's matter of personal choice. I assume you are speaking about a legendary series and not an original. The legendary series are perfectly able to handle the raw power of a modern brushless motor. And the standard gearing will work well with 13.5T brushless motor, although it might be slightly prone to wheeling with the Beetle (which is SWB). I'm still undecided about which motor I'll go with the Tomahawk. I've no real reason to consider a brushed motor, and will likely opt for a Brushless setup. 13.5T, 15.5T or 17.5T is my only remaining question: my Turbo Scorpion is running a 13.5T and it works perfectly with it, and I'm just debating about this with the SWB (it's not really helping about your own situation, but be aware that brushless is definitely a nice and good possibility)...

44 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

Ultimately, it's matter of personal choice. I assume you are speaking about a legendary series and not an original. The legendary series are perfectly able to handle the raw power of a modern brushless motor. And the standard gearing will work well with 13.5T brushless motor, although it might be slightly prone to wheeling with the Beetle (which is SWB). I'm still undecided about which motor I'll go with the Tomahawk. I've no real reason to consider a brushed motor, and will likely opt for a Brushless setup. 13.5T, 15.5T or 17.5T is my only remaining question: my Turbo Scorpion is running a 13.5T and it works perfectly with it, and I'm just debating about this with the SWB (it's not really helping about your own situation, but be aware that brushless is definitely a nice and good possibility)...

Thank you for your input it's definitely something I'll think about. I will give the 490 Le Man a go and see how it goes. I'm not really into overly fast cars as I have a habit of crashing those ones 😁 

In my small fleet of 4 Legendary series cars I followed Tamiya's premise for kit-supplied electronics.  I wanted to keep it brand-specific as well.  Tamiya's offerings in kits is the silver can 27t and TLBE-02; Kyosho's equivalent at the time of release of the Legendary kits is the Perfex line of electronics. The Perfex stuff is all middle-of-the-road quality, not Chinese garbage, nor precision raceware, just simple brushed no frills reliability.  Most of, all the components have the matching Kyosho branding.

I use three different motors in my Legendary Series cars, videos of which can be seen on my YouTube channel. The gearbox/transmission can handle hotter brushless motors, but I preferred to stay on brand and keep with brushed motors. 😊

The Le Mans 490 is fitted to my Scorpion, Turbo Scorpion and Tomahawk. It's a fantastic looking motor, but not fast by any means. I'd say it's not too far off a Tamiya Sport Tuned in terms of top end. My Optima runs a Kyosho G20, it's not much to look at (silver can with a sticker) but it's slightly quicker than the 490. My Javelin and Ultima run the Kyosho G15 Single. Another silver can with a sticker, but again very cheap. That thing is plenty fast for the 2WD buggies. All of the cars use Hobbywing 1060s (or the Kyosho branded equivalent) and I run them on 7.2 NiMH. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, Kai City RC said:

I use three different motors in my Legendary Series cars, videos of which can be seen on my YouTube channel. The gearbox/transmission can handle hotter brushless motors, but I preferred to stay on brand and keep with brushed motors. 😊

The Le Mans 490 is fitted to my Scorpion, Turbo Scorpion and Tomahawk. It's a fantastic looking motor, but not fast by any means. I'd say it's not too far off a Tamiya Sport Tuned in terms of top end. My Optima runs a Kyosho G20, it's not much to look at (silver can with a sticker) but it's slightly quicker than the 490. My Javelin and Ultima run the Kyosho G15 Single. Another silver can with a sticker, but again very cheap. That thing is plenty fast for the 2WD buggies. All of the cars use Hobbywing 1060s (or the Kyosho branded equivalent) and I run them on 7.2 NiMH. 

Hope that helps!

Always wondered what gear you ran in those Kyosho videos dude! I have an Ultima for next year and have been wondering what motor to get for it! The 490 motor looks so good but I was wondering about the performance of them. 

I have the Le Mans 490 in my Beetle, and it not alone looks good, it also performs pretty good. Not the craziest top end, but I am quite happy with the torque and speed.

48CD98B9-C65D-4DA3-9CA6-EC1E3F646811.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Klausen said:

I have the Le Mans 490 in my Beetle, and it not alone looks good, it also performs pretty good. Not the craziest top end, but I am quite happy with the torque and speed.

48CD98B9-C65D-4DA3-9CA6-EC1E3F646811.jpeg

Lovely looking bug is that. Thanks for your input. I think the 490 is a good fit just in the goldilocks zone for me 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, silvertriple said:

Hey. 
 Could I follow up on your post here. 
 You say the Beetle is SWB. 
 Does that mean the re-release of the Beetle is shorter than the re-release of the Turbo Scorpion or Tomahawk?

I thought all 4 cars were the same length??

I’m building a modern runner (just for fun) and would want to make sure I pick the most stable setup I can. 

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, stulec52 said:

Hey. 
 Does that mean the re-release of the Beetle is shorter than the re-release of the Turbo Scorpion or Tomahawk?

I’m building a modern runner (just for fun) and would want to make sure I pick the most stable setup I can. 

Thanks 

The Turbo Scorpion is both longer and wider than the Beetle, Scorpion and Tomahawk. 

3 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

The Turbo Scorpion is both longer and wider than the Beetle, Scorpion and Tomahawk. 

Awesome. Thanks. 
  My build will start as soon as some parts arrive, but is based on a Re-Release Turbo Scorpion, which I had no idea was so different, so that’s worked out well 😆

2 hours ago, stulec52 said:

Hey. 

Thanks 

Simple :

Bettle, Scorpion, Tomahawk : Short Wheel Base, Vintage wheels format friction based, silver and shorter shocks

Turbo Scorpion : Long Wheel Base, 2.2" wheels with hex, red and longer shocks

The Tomahawk is having a deck for the radio while the 3 others are having a bath tub.

• Like 1

I raced a stock beetle back in 1984/85, then a heavily modified Scorpion 85/86

by the time turbo and tomahawk came out, I’d switched brands.  So didn’t know all of the differences. 
  I do own all 4 original cars now, but they are shelf queens, so hadn’t compared them closely.  

I’ve now got my re-releases (still missing Tomahawk though)  and my Turbo Scorpion came built, used, so I’m just in the process of setting it up to be my fun runner. 

I’m unsure whether to use the tub, or set up the chassis like my original Scorpion racer, which was similar to the Tomahawk.  

I might do that, and see if it’s easy enough to stretch a beetle body onto the Turbo chassis. 

Thanks folks. 

finally got to run my Turbo Tomahawk this weekend.
 I built it from the Turbo Scorpion re-release, then just added the servo mount tray, and top deck from the re-release Tomahawk, along with body mounts and servo link.
  Not picked a body yet, but had it out for a little spin with an OLD 17.5 motor in it, a shorty lipo down the middle.
 OOOOO it's zippy !!
   I'll probably paint up a re-release Tomahawk body for it, but just need to figure out the exact mounting

• Like 1