Tgrif

Avante 2011

2 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah that's going to be interesting to see gunmetal with black rims? egress tyres or super gripper spiked tyres?

It will be gunmetal body Avante with Egress black wheels and Egress tires.  

For the HotShot, I am going to do box art with red PS2 body and gold wheels (off SuperShot, I believe), and Hotshot factory tires.

• Like 1

Just now, Willy iine said:

It will be gunmetal body Avante with Egress black wheels and Egress tires.  

For the HotShot, I am going to do box art with red PS2 body and gold wheels (off SuperShot, I believe), and Hotshot factory tires.

20180512_172159.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks again!  

So I'm thinking about building my other Avante and do the PS23, run Egress wheels and tires.. what do you think?  

At one point I was thinking about doing something like that on a SuperShot + Egress dampers, but decided to go to my roots and get the HotShot instead (well, a re-re) so I have a spare set of Egress wheels and tires.  :D

Just as point of interest JC racing do hotshot rims in black and they are a very good price! I've got a few of their products and they are very good quality aswell👍 

Screenshot_20220306-114629_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

@moffman By chance, is your HotShot body a special metallic finish?  Yesterday I was checking out some various HotShot images on Google and there was a picture of a girl holding an Avante in the special blue metallic finish and a HotShot in that burgundy color..  and wondered if that was also a special metallic finish..(?)

i finished setting up the HotShot today.  Quirky car it is, drives pretty well once I got it all set up.  I painted it PS2 red.   I might change the servo and pinion later.  Will do the decals this week and hopefully finish the car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@moffman By chance, is your HotShot body a special metallic finish?  Yesterday I was checking out some various HotShot images on Google and there was a picture of a girl holding an Avante in the special blue metallic finish and a HotShot in that burgundy color..  and wondered if that was also a special metallic finish..(?)

i finished setting up the HotShot today.  Quirky car it is, drives pretty well once I got it all set up.  I painted it PS2 red.   I might change the servo and pinion later.  Will do the decals this week and hopefully finish the car.

The colour of my hotshot was of my own making! Its PS37 translucent red backed with PS42 light gun metal it gives a really good candy apple red 

• Like 1

Getting there, it’s been a good build,  but I’m not sure why they bother with parts bags. I think they were all open by step 7…

3590119C-C940-4852-9490-9DDBB96CD3DB.jpeg

• Like 3

@TgrifLooking good! And I know what you mean about the parts bags. I seem to remember the same thing with my Egress build.

• Like 1

Looking good! The Avante really is such a beautiful build! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Nice job, @Tgrif!  Have you driven yours?   

@willie iine Just around the house, at this stage 

4 minutes ago, Tgrif said:

@willie iine Just around the house, at this stage 

Sounds good. I found that this car turns very well and tight turn radius!

On 3/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, Tgrif said:

Finished. Really enjoyed the build, 

Wow! Great result - still has to be one of the all time best looking buggies around. Enjoy!

Sorry if this is a derail but does anyone know why the 2011 Avante is so expensive? It's about twice the price of the super avante - which I would assume should be superior in terms of design and component quality...

I really don't need another car but I'm sort of intrigued by this one so just wondering, like. 

1 hour ago, DaveTaurus said:

Sorry if this is a derail but does anyone know why the 2011 Avante is so expensive? It's about twice the price of the super avante - which I would assume should be superior in terms of design and component quality...

I really don't need another car but I'm sort of intrigued by this one so just wondering, like. 

I believe it is based on the various metal parts and more importantly the premium for being a historical and legendary car.   Regular street price was $485 or something... I paid much more as I missed the last run.

IMG_2022-3-17-191856.jpg.a02eee6b70171fc3060c1cc48ad12f74.jpg

I suppose if you're a Tamiya fan, it's fun to have one in your collection.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yup, I think Willy nailed that one on the head.  Super Avante looks great (mine is in the mail...), but it's "just" a modern buggy.  Plastic and plastic.  Avante 2011 is a piece of history (and us goofballs will pay more for that...) and made from metal and carbon fiber.  In Canada, the Super Avante is ~$450cad, and the upcoming Avante Black Edition is $699cad.  So a big premium for the nicer materials and history of the original, but not double the price or anything like that.  Arguably bonkers for a car that drives worse and is way less durable... but no aspect of what keeps us in RC is rational.  ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

no aspect of what keeps us in RC is rational.  ;)

This should be the TC motto!

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 1:06 AM, DaveTaurus said:

It’s an adventure to build, and the kit is super quality, glad I did it. Just finished a midnight pumpkin, and I can see where the extra cost goes, even without the iconic history… 

• Like 1

Just finished my Avante. A very interesting build for sure. I'm not so sure that I will call it top notch quality per se. It is quite complex and very cool, but it has some things going on I just don't understand - especially the massive use of e-clips. I suppose it is one of those intriguing kits we just need in our collections. When looking at an Optima Mid, I think it's easy to see why it never won any races. Would I be without it? No, and I don't regret buying and building it. Hope to pick up an Egress soon as well as a Top Force Evo. I guess those are just three models any self respecting Tamiya fan needs lol. 

Did mine in PS-18 to add a bit of flair compared to the normal blue metallic. Looks killer with the yellow wheels, decals and gold parts. Will post a few pics soon:-)

• Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 1:31 AM, DK308 said:

Just finished my Avante. A very interesting build for sure. I'm not so sure that I will call it top notch quality per se. It is quite complex and very cool, but it has some things going on I just don't understand - especially the massive use of e-clips. I suppose it is one of those intriguing kits we just need in our collections. When looking at an Optima Mid, I think it's easy to see why it never won any races. Would I be without it? No, and I don't regret buying and building it. Hope to pick up an Egress soon as well as a Top Force Evo. I guess those are just three models any self respecting Tamiya fan needs lol. 

Did mine in PS-18 to add a bit of flair compared to the normal blue metallic. Looks killer with the yellow wheels, decals and gold parts. Will post a few pics soon:-)

I've just had to look up what colour PS18 is:rolleyes: I bet looks really cool?

6 hours ago, moffman said:

I've just had to look up what colour PS18 is:rolleyes: I bet looks really cool?

Yeah I think it does. PS18 is still a purple and not violet, so it goes really well with  the decals. I have to finish off a few things before posting picks, but soon.

9 hours ago, DK308 said:

Yeah I think it does. PS18 is still a purple and not violet, so it goes really well with  the decals. I have to finish off a few things before posting picks, but soon.

Yep that's the unwritten rule! We have to see the finished article👍(especially the avante!)