gregdogghurst

TRF 502X Resto

Hi guys

As title this is a TRF 502X restoration project and my first (pic heavy) build thread!

I wasn't looking for another project but this came up on a local auction site for a decent price and I couldn't resist getting my first proper 4wd TRF buggy. I'm already part way through the project but this thread will start from the beginning obviously...

These photos are from the sale advert-as you can see needs some work! BUT it came with the upgrade pack/box/manual/original decals and a few spare bits and pieces which is great.

IMG_6381.png

IMG_6380.png

• Like 12

Once it had arrived the initial impressions were not too bad-i knew it was well used but hard to tell from the original photos. All the original parts and upgrade parts seemed to be there (not necessarily on the car). Definitely needed new tyres! :lol:

IMG_6621.jpg

The chassis is bit scuffed up and has superglue on it. Bumper needs replacing. Looks like it had been run without the under tray-nothing too bad though really 

IMG_6623.jpg

I noticed the steering set was non standard-did a bit of research and found this is not the steering hop up for the 502. I thought it was a DB01 steering set at first but its slightly different. Its a bit of random modification done by previous owner and won't be going back during the rebuild. Unfortunately its caused the steering servo turnbuckle to rub on the centre drive shaft.

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

• Like 7

So first job fitted up the shocks and got some wheels and tyres on. Tamiya buggy wheels (hex fit) #51580 Front and #51581 Rear with just standard dual block tyres. I already had these 'in stock' from other builds left overs. I'll detail the hex hubs fitting later in the build

IMG_6977.jpg

• Like 4

Second job-get the body work fitted up and sent off to painters. I managed to find 2x #54133 TRF 511 body sets-recommended in the manual and seems to be the only Tamiya body for 511/502/503 TRF 4wd buggies. I only used one set and passed the other to a friend.

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

Really love the side profile of this body

IMG_6864.jpg

I used a Tamiya #54134 Buggy racing wing set which also comes with a front wing (not used as yet). I cut the wing fairly low, moved its mounting position forward slightly and trimmed it around the shock tower as I think it looks cleaner that way. Not a difficult set to cut out but I needed to improvise around the front end slightly. The 511 body on the 502 needs trimming differently, especially with the upgrade pack fitted. i like to use combination of straight and curved scissors/dremel sanding wheels/hand sand paper to finish off.

All the bodywork has been sent to AttackRC in Spain for painting. 

• Like 8

Next up and todays instalment is the strip down. And this is where things go a bit southwards...

It became obvious the car hadn't been built or maintained particularly well especially considering its a high end race buggy.

Straight away had a stripped screw head that I had to drill out. It had been super glued in and excess glue all over the chassis.

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg

Once I'd got the screw out I removed the front lower diff housing to find a couple of random pieces of carbon fibre in between the housing and front bulkhead. Not a standard part and can't think why it might be there?

IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Filthy inside the diffs and bearings. The seller said the car had only been used indoors on carpet but clear signs of mud/dirt in the bearings and on the arms and chassis parts. 

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of plastic parts not been trimmed after being cut off the trees.

IMG_7002.jpg

Incorrect length screws used in quite a few places, below you can see where they're almost protruding into the diff housing

IMG_7005.jpg

super glue all over the carbon parts which I really want to sort out. Ive done a bit of research and i'm thinking to try and completely renovate all the carbon parts by sanding them down and clear coating. Potentially risky and one of the most difficult parts of the project-not looking forward to it to be honest! :unsure:

IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_7007.jpg
IMG_7008.jpg

• Like 3

Final parts to strip down are the suspension units. All the shocks were leaking oil slightly and no surprise I discovered that the upper rod guide (part W2) as missing from all the shocks!

IMG_7031.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg

Different pistons in the rear shocks and theres actually 2 thin ones, one on top of the other. Also there were oil seals in the tops of the cylinders which aren't in the manual and not used in aeration shocks as far as I'm aware...

IMG_7034.jpg
IMG_7038.jpg

I'm not actually going to use these shocks for the 502 rebuild, going to rebuild them properly and but them on a DB01 runner. Got some tasty option parts for the shocks that are going on this build-more on that later...

• Like 3

Another thing to note is there were a lot of spacers missing. All the TRF DB01,DB02 and DN01 (I think thats all)  buggies share the same arms and driveshafts and have a few spacers (plastic or metal depending on spec) particularly on the rear driveshafts and between the bearings on the axles. None of these were present causing loads of play left and right-not good! Missing spacers BE5 (similar set on front also) and BA11 shown in the manual.

IMG_7126.jpg
IMG_7124.jpg

I cleaned up all the parts warm soapy bath/degreaser etc. then made a list of all the little bits and pieces that are missing and ordered from Tamico who had everything in stock fortunately. No big or expensive bits but it soon adds up with postage (and a few off list items :rolleyes:)

IMG_6996.jpg

Felt good to get all the going backwards work done and can now start going forwards with the build. Got some nice upgrade parts for this build that I've been sitting on for ages so will be great to see it all come together.

• Like 7

Such a cool car mate, great work so far and look forward to seeing the finished resultB)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Really enjoying following this. If you can't put your hands on those between bearing spacers, I gave used stacks of 5x7 shims on my TRF cars in some cases. It's a bit fiddly to put together, but it works perfectly. 

"shims" https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=179&product_id=2004

Thanks @ThunderDragonCy luckily tamico had them all in stock. Ive used RC Bearings a few times before and always great service 

• Like 1

Coming to you almost live with a report of todays action! I had a day off, Mrs at the office and kids at creche-what else to do? :blink:

I grabbed some sand paper and clear coat aerosol from local DIY place and set about sorting the carbon chassis parts. First I used a Dremel type tool to buzz the rust and glue out of the countersunk holes.

IMG_7130.jpg
IMG_7132.jpg

Then sanded the bulk of the glue off with a bit of used 180 grit paper-took it very steady so as not to get any bad scratches. Followed that with a complete dry sand 400 grit and finally wet sand at 600 grit on kitchen worktop-like I said mrs was out..

IMG_7133.jpg

Next I set up my makeshift spray booth in the garage. Not ideal temperatures for spray painting mid February but i'm not waiting for spring! I hung the parts on wire hooks to begin with but it made it super difficult to spray as the pressure from aerosol was spinning them round. I improvised and put some screws through he back of the cardboard to hang off which was much better but could only really paint one side at time...

IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

I used an Acrylic clear coat rattle can safe on plastics etc

IMG_7141.jpg

AND BOOM! SUPER pleased with how they turned out! (I did redo 1 side of both the shock towers after getting a couple small runs:P)

IMG_7155.jpg
IMG_7151.jpg
IMG_7146.jpg

• Like 12

ooooooffff this has not been treated well in its past life! those shocks are just a mess!!

great work on the CF refurb, looks ace.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, gregdogghurst said:

Second job-get the body work fitted up and sent off to painters. I managed to find 2x #54133 TRF 511 body sets-recommended in the manual and seems to be the only Tamiya body for 511/502/503 TRF 4wd buggies. I only used one set and passed the other to a friend.

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

Really love the side profile of this body

IMG_6864.jpg

I used a Tamiya #54134 Buggy racing wing set which also comes with a front wing (not used as yet). I cut the wing fairly low, moved its mounting position forward slightly and trimmed it around the shock tower as I think it looks cleaner that way. Not a difficult set to cut out but I needed to improvise around the front end slightly. The 511 body on the 502 needs trimming differently, especially with the upgrade pack fitted. i like to use combination of straight and curved scissors/dremel sanding wheels/hand sand paper to finish off.

All the bodywork has been sent to AttackRC in Spain for painting. 

Am I the only one to see echoes of this profile in the TD4?

0DA48F4A-0D09-4CA1-8520-3DE98AC0E1F3.md.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, matisse said:

Am I the only one to see echoes of this profile in the TD4?

0DA48F4A-0D09-4CA1-8520-3DE98AC0E1F3.md.

There is definitely a resemblance from that angle mate! Is that that your TD4?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

There is definitely a resemblance from that angle mate! Is that that your TD4?

Yup, arty lighting innit

• Like 1

Great work on those carbon fiber parts. Didn’t even know that was possible!

• Like 1

Those chassis plates came out really nice - i wasnt sure it was possible to save them that way. I have an F103 chassis which has been well used - might try it.

Also, when someone buys a used car like this, particularly off ebay and is rebuilding it and showing the horror story of bodges the poor thing has been through I often wonder if there are any members who come across these threads like.....

dd0.jpg

• Haha 4

Right guys back on the build thread! Life, wife and kid get in the way don't they?!

The shocks are a slightly odd place to start on the build but I was waiting for other parts to arrive (the timeline is all off-this happened before the carbon chassis work). But from here onwards this is the order the rebuild took place...

I mentioned previously that I wasn't going to use the shocks that came with the 502. They were well worn, with plastic parts scarred from rollovers and the finish worn on the  shock bodies etc. So I decided to take a set of nearly new #54028 Buggy aeration dampers from a DB01 runner I have. All they needed was a clean otherwise in perfect condition.

IMG_7085.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg

Swapped out the standard cylinders for a set of TRF HL Cylinders #42132 #42133. The first of the hop ups...

IMG_7088.jpg

Reassembled as per the instructions using (32.5w F/27.5w R) shock oil and green slime on the O rings. Nice little cardboard box home made work station for this....

IMG_7090.jpg

All finished up and looking tasty!

IMG_7093.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 7:03 AM, Superluminal said:

Also, when someone buys a used car like this, particularly off ebay and is rebuilding it and showing the horror story of bodges the poor thing has been through I often wonder if there are any members who come across these threads like.....

You sold him a right dog there didn't you @Superluminal... you total barsteward!:ph34r:;):P:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In all seriousness @gregdogghurst, those refurbed shocks looks sweet, bet they're going to be uber smooth on the sexy new chassisB)

• Like 1