Sign in to follow this  
Snakey76

Help TT02 NEED ADVICE

I new here! Dear god please don’t tar and feather me! I mostly race Losi’s t5’s so I’m a bit out of touch with electric rc’s but I saw the tamiya 58578 zakspeed capri wurth (tt-02) and thought ok I need to own this, I’ve already got all the upgraded bearings! 
Now if it’s ok to get some help from all of tamiya experts. 
I would like to upgrade as much as I can and make it as fast and as reliable  It can be using lipos. 
1, what lipos can I get to fit to get the best run time?
2, what would be the best brushless motor and esc to use?  
3, Best gearbox and diff upgrades can be used? 
4, Best drive shafts?
5,Better suspension upgrades? 
6,Oils grease and anything else I have forgotten?  

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards, 
Ian.  

• Like 1

Welcome!

You might get a lot more visibility in the General Discussion forum. Questions about upgrades on the TT-02 have been discussed at length many times over and you might find some very good info by using the search tool of the forum. Also, this is no secret that "the other forum"... the one about RC... and Tech... ;) has a "Tamiya TT02 Thread" created when the chassis came out and still active. That is about 10years of good information to go through.

What kind of driving are you planning on doing with the car?

Best of luck,

15 hours ago, Snakey76 said:

I would like to upgrade as much as I can and make it as fast and as reliable  It can be using lipos. 

Not wanting a lot eh? Well, for a start, fast, reliable and best runtime are not mutually compatible. Fast motor draws more power and drains the battery quicker. Bigger batteries have more juice but are heavier and therefore a slower car. Powerful batteries 3/4/5/6S tends to have less capacity for the same size and weight. Fast motor wears things out fast leading to reliability problems. Very fast motors can destroy the gearbox and drivetrain. I have a 4.5T 8000kv brushless (not the fastest out there, there are 10000+kv systems) that, I was informed, will destroy most Tamiyas, so I am going to put it into a TT01 for a laugh when its gearbox hopefully explode.

Everything else like "best" motor and ESC, hop up parts, etc, really depends on where in the world you are. If you are in the UK, then usually is best to get locally whatever is available due to excessive import "fines". If US, far as I am aware, no import "fines" but you still need to pay quite a bit of postage if you are buying from Far East YR or 3R parts. If you are actually in Asia, then everything is cheap and your choice is plentiful.

You can have you cake and eat it but you have to ask yourself how much money are you willing to spend on this chassis.

I personally would consider another chassis, 2 belt drive system and maybe not Tamiya.

Either way there are many people on here with modified TT02 and a wealth of knowledge.  Just do a search.

The only other thing that I'll add is that my mate runs 3s on a totally stock chassis, apart from brushless motor, esc, bearings, shocks and foam tyres, and it doesn't break anything.

Good luck.

Heya! The TT-02 is a great Beginner's kit with a good amount of upgrading and that can be done to it. Though, if you are looking for something to race with, the TA-08 PRO is 10X the kit right out of the box

Hi and thank you, I’m in the UK, im after a brushless motor and esc that yes will make it faster but as I tried to say reliable, this doesn’t mean I want it to do 100mph I just want it to preform better than it would normally do. So clarify what would be the better choice of brushless motor and esc? What would be the better lipo and hop-ups to complement it to the fastest and reliable that it can be. 

Bearings, steel or hardened pinion, alum motor mount and alum prop shaft + metal center drive cups. Maybe metal drive cups + CVDs. 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:35 AM, Snakey76 said:

Hi and thank you, I’m in the UK, im after a brushless motor and esc that yes will make it faster but as I tried to say reliable, this doesn’t mean I want it to do 100mph I just want it to preform better than it would normally do. So clarify what would be the better choice of brushless motor and esc? What would be the better lipo and hop-ups to complement it to the fastest and reliable that it can be. 

Hi Ian, welcome.

I thought you'd get a lot more replies to this as the TT02 is much loved on here. Even people who don't like them seem to end up with a few.

For fast enough while still going to be reliable I'd look at a 10.5T or 13.5T motor. If just running around home then motors like the Trackstar or Surpass v3 are great bang for buck. They are older motors now and slower than a newer one, but they are also a lot cheaper.

For the ESC, look at a programmable one. I like the SkyRC TS120 as a great all round ESC for a good price. There are others like the Hobbywing 10BL120 which I've heard good things about. Basically, it has a lot of headroom and you can add boost and turbo if you want to go faster. Get the program card too.

The TT02 takes a normal sized 2S lipo, you don't need the round packs or shorty. Aim for around 5000mah as a good compromise between weight and run time. The C rating of the battery is the discharge rate, basically how much power they can deliver. Some claim 120C etc, which is probably a lie, anything 50C up should be fine.

I have a few TT02's (B and D) and do minimal mods. Bearings are essential. For my sons racer we had to add front universals as he kept throwing dog bones during races which ruins the fun. We went for yeah racing. I've never had a dog bone issue off the race track though, so see how it goes before buying them.

Oil shocks. Mine all came with them and I just run the plastic ones, they're fine. Not sure what your kit comes with, but oil shocks are worthwhile.

I havent done the motor mount or driveshaft, don't see the point, but the blue driveshaft would look good.

For more gearing options, the high speed gearset and yeah racing motor mount are a good idea. This allows you to use any standard spur gear which means you can get just about any gear ratio. Don't get the Tamiya motor mount, get the Yeah racing one. It has a slot so you can set the gear mesh yourself which allows all the gear combos to work.

I've found the diffs to be fine in the onroad car but not for the buggies if you go for a hotter motor. I have the DF02 diffs which I swap in when i put a faster motor in. These have metal gears. Its the ring gear that goes on the rear diff. The other option is to run the standard ones and see how they last, as they are cheap. I got 3 sets (6 diffs) from Fusion for 17quid delivered to NZ. When my sons friends come over they destroy diffs.

There is a lot of play in the steering, i found that alloy wheel hexes (no idea why) and a high torque servo saver made a big difference. There is a TT02 specific high torque servo saver with the alloy horn which looks cool, because blue, and isn't much more expensive than the standard one with plastic.

I wouldn't spend any more though, as you will throw a heap of money at it and it still wont be as good as a TA or TB car. Its not like the TB or TA where you eventually end up with a car as good as a TRF car for a bit more money, you will never get it as good and could spend a heap more than it would cost to buy a TRF420. If you think 500quid for the TRF420 is a lot, add up what the hopups for a TT02 can cost!

Also, if you decide to go for TA or TB, don't buy the Pro. Buy the R or RR or MS to start with, the Pro always needs upgrades too...

You've got the bearings which is the main thing, get the motor and have fun and see what you want to do.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:57 PM, Snakey76 said:

I new here! Dear god please don’t tar and feather me! I mostly race Losi’s t5’s so I’m a bit out of touch with electric rc’s but I saw the tamiya 58578 zakspeed capri wurth (tt-02) and thought ok I need to own this, I’ve already got all the upgraded bearings! 
Now if it’s ok to get some help from all of tamiya experts. 
3, Best gearbox and diff upgrades can be used? 
4, Best drive shafts?
5,Better suspension upgrades? 
6,Oils grease and anything else I have forgotten?  

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards, 
Ian.  

Everyone above has this topic pretty well covered.

Here is what I have done, and spent way too much doing so but don't regret a second.

1. As mentioned, around 5000mAh 2s lipo is a perfect choice for this chassis.

2. I'm a fan (what I bought) of the HW EZRUN MAX10 4000Kv brushless combo. Could potentially run 3s lipo, sometimes leading to broken parts LOL.

3. I use stock diffs, front locked, rear open with Anti Wear grease packed in to tighten it up. I use the DT02 metal propshaft joint pinion (Filing required) front and rear. Tamiya high speed gear set as mentioned and the YR adjustable motor mount.

4. I haven't heard much about the stock, plastic driveshaft being weak; But the aluminum one is better and sure does look pretty. Get the shaft and cups if you go that route. I use Tamiya CVDs and their respective drive cups. I also use TT02-R metal dogbones and cups in another TT02 and haven't had any issues with them popping out with hard bashing.

5. I use the Tamiya adjustable upper arms, and have the Yeah Racing adjustable toe mount. I also have about 40% of the YR full aluminum set and Don't recommend it. For the parts in it that are good, it's a waste of money for anything other than a shelf queen IMO.

6. I use Labelle 106 PTFE lubricant on the pinion/spur at the motor and also at the diffs. One little drop and I have yet to show any wear in over a year. Even with incredibly hard abuse.

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned, Steering.

This is something most don't care about but some do. You mentioned reliability. I would recommend either the Tamiya full steering setup, Or the Tamiya Type-S steering setup (not to be confused with TT02-S steering IIRC).

Also, if you've not assembled a TT02 before, take care when driving the screws in the first time. When you have to pull them out and go to put them back in, Turn them lightly counter-clockwise until you feel the screw drop into the thread that is already there, then tighten. This should help prevent stripped threads.

-RC Perspective