Kol__

Your RC display

Hi guys,

Over the last 5 months, after getting back into the hobby for the first time since I was a youngster in the 90's, I quickly amassed quite a number of cars and builds. Some of which I've built and driven, some I've sourced parts for to do a vintage build at a later date and some are newer models NIB waiting to be built up further down the line. I've built cars for myself and for some of my family and they were starting to spread out all over the master bedroom and other areas of the house. Some you might have seen my posts on a previous thread 'Your RC build space' and so you'll know that area has already encroached on one side of the master bedroom:blink:

So I've been looking at storage/display solutions and ideally for the current and future amount of cars I can see so far, I'd like a double width display cabinet with some cupboard space in the lower half and say 4-5 glass shelves above which can take 2 cars each. For now the space available to me is very limited so that's not a possibility. Yesterday I picked up this IKEA display shelf unit and put it next to my bedside table, it'll have to do for now! I may look to add in some more shelves in the future if I can, as the spacing between shelves is quite a bit. Here's my humble beginnings...

d91HjAR.jpeg

Top down:

Monster Beetle part original, part modded with rere parts. Chassis is finished and currently the black Blitzer Beetle shell has been filled and sanded and is ready for primer.

Racing Fighter basher, stock except for a set of Neo Fighter wheels I dyed orange to match the body.

Madcap/Astute mongrel. Holds a special place for me this one, as the Madcap was favourite of mine as a child. This car that has been through quite a transformation since I picked it up in Sept. She's built to run and is nearly complete.

Grasshopper II I brought back from the brink of destruction and restored it for my 4yr old son. Vanessa's Lunchbox I built for my wife. My hopes of getting the family on board rest on these two cars being driven this spring and summer when the weather improves!!:lol:

Mad Bull basher. The first car I picked up in September last year. Bought it new and it is a no holes barred basher...any jump... any weather, bring it on!!

So what does your RC display look like and what has been your journey to get to that point so far? Maybe you can help me prepare for what my future in this hobby might look like!:lol::ph34r:

(& no worries how many times you may have already posted pics of your awesome spaces on TC, this is a thread dedicated to showing off all of the hard work and achievements in getting to the stage you have so far in the hobby. So it's guilt free time to share what you've done and show it off, no matter how big or small your collection and display is)

• Like 3

That shelf looks very clean, @Kol__.   Do you happen to know the dimensions of each of the shelves?

Main issue for me has been most shelves do not have enough depth to position my cars diagonally, so been using side tables.  These are about 19" square.  I have like 6 of these in my RC shop.  They are running LED lighting I wired up under the top shelf for extra presentation points for the lower shelves.

IMG_2022-1-14-085125.jpg.2ce1c495f9fcdd6ba29c8582863c3394.jpg

The other ones are like my M38 table.. and stacked boxes are also fun too.  It has reinforcement inside so that the center does not cave in.

IMG_Dec112021at70746AM.jpg.9e82c5ea904b3f40f4f56f4297d64fbc.jpg

IMG_Dec182021at55320PM.thumb.jpg.23b61c6f1dab3586c71d55898292cd29.jpg

One of the last display mod I did was to wrap the plexiglass shelf on my junk wireshelves with matte black wood grain vinyl and add lighting.   Adding lights is probably the easiest way to make some generic shelves to pop.   

IMG_Dec242021at112016AM.jpg.1bf5e5872458bcd6dd79043ba62900f9.jpg

I am looking for proper shelving to replace that wire shelf someday, hopefully soon..  I just haven not found one with the depth I want.  But I will say that even junk shelves can look nice with minor modification.    (btw, that is a TOYATO on the floor, I have not built my Bruiser yet.  :lol:)

I thought about displays with front glass (like a China cabinet), but the issue I have is reflection.  I know some folks like glass to keep dust out.. my house is 100% flooring except for the finished basement and runs a whole house air purifier.. so there is very minimal dust.  I can go without dusting my cars for months if I do not do any sanding in my RC shop.

• Like 5

Most non adjustable book or display shelves have too much space vertically as you found out. Adjustable shelves are the way to go, or if you can, fix your own wall shelves with the height set as you need. 

In my case, I am even out of wall space, so I have to use the above door space. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Mine is a hodgepodge that has grown organically around the room in the past several years. I started out with these black shelves above my workbench:

IMG_20220219_172712954.jpg

But I quickly outgrew them. So I added these white shelves from IKEA to the adjoining wall, and a narrow bookcase next to it that's the right size for standard-size static model kits. The blank shelf in the middle is set up as a photo booth, with an indirect LED panel above it. All of the white-background photos you see of my models are taken there.

IMG_20220219_172722053.jpg

Then it gets weird. I got a free shipping crate from work, painted it, mounted it on the wall, then attached a sheet of scrap plywood to the top to make a shelf. More scrap plywood (yet to be painted) forms a small shelf for static models along the edge of a weird bump-out in the ceiling.

IMG_20220219_172743095.jpg

From there, more plywood forms two shelves above the window, spanning across to a bookcase that's permanently affixed to my built-in desk.

IMG_20220219_172732289.jpg

And finally, above the desk is another shelf, currently home to all the odd-size static kit boxes.

IMG_20220219_172750583.jpg

This is a working shop, not a museum, so it's cluttered, and things are constantly being moved around. All my cars are runners to one degree or another, so nothing sits for too long. I rearrange the RC models and static kits on the shelves all the time, so if you took photos of it next week, it might all look different.

I also still have some scraps of wood, and one more empty space on one wall, so more makeshift shelves are probably coming.

It's all a big old mess, but I am absolutely at ease in this room, and I don't want or need to make it "pretty" for anyone else's sake.

• Like 4

The shelving units i am using at the moment, are from Amazon.

They are metal frames with wood shelves, and they are the perfect depth to put a kit box with about 1/2 an inch either side. I can get two boxes side by side and one stood up on its side, or i can get 4 completed cars side by side on each shelf with one accross behind.

Once the hobby room build is complete, i will keep them for storage, and the cars will all be on purpose built shelving.

J

• Like 1

“RC World” has been seen on this forum before a few times...

49755457423_f95713689c_k.jpg

49755457348_623543949c_k.jpg

49768218006_b870f4230e_k.jpg

49768217926_669fafc351_k.jpg

49768217756_4e3c6c7913_k.jpg

49767685253_2d1c7e7d91_k.jpg

• Like 4

Everyone of those spaces looks awesome!B)

I like the idea both of LED lights @Willy iineand of a glass front to keep the dust out. I can see myself dusting these at least monthly, but tbh I don't really do dusting, so it will be a blow over with the mini handheld air compressor:lol: Clever idea wrapping that perspex, looks pretty slick for wire shelves. This is the dimensions of the Ikea Vittsjö I picked up on Friday, it also comes in a double width version, but I don't this this model will be deep enough for your needs?

Oq9i9LD.jpeg

Good to see clever and organically developed spaces/storage solutions too @alvinlwh@markbt73, I think mine might grow like that for now and maybe one day I'll have a set up somewhere along the lines of @Willy iine and @mtbkym01. I would go for the adjustable wall mounted shelving, seen quite a few people having a close spacing (say 6' between the wall rails) and just resting the cars on the shelf brackets themselves. I don't want to start drilling holes in the wall just yet, as this is a temporary solution to the problem of what I would officially term as 'RC Creep', to stem the flow of RC related items spreading all over the house!

I think I see an Ikea Detolf cabinet in your space there @mtbkym01, I really like the look of those and Glenn from Tamiya Legends has used them quite a lot. They're just not quite big enough for all RC which is a shame. My Mad bull is the widest at about 32cm and the Monster Beetle with front bumper fitted is the longest at about 42cm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kol__ Thanks for the info on the shelving unit.  I have seen those before and I think near 15” is a decent amount of depth.  I prefer 18” or more.  I was looking at their wider version.

As you can see on my wireshelf, some shelves I place 3 to 4 cars per shelf and the center post would obstruct the view of those cars behind it or simply get in the way when I place my cars diagonally.  

But that is not to say that the shelf is bad in anyway.  It’s just a preference thing how I like to display my cars.

I’m looking for a shelf basically that mimics my wire shelf’s overall dimensions but with a tad more depth.  Until I find a perfect one I intend to just use the shelf I have for the time being..  It was supposed to be my temporary solution to get an overall size and spacing feel for it while I look for a permanent shelf.. but I’ve not found one yet.  :lol:

i use these but i dont think that IKEA makes these anymore. They fit one car per shelf. Glass sides and double door glass fronts. They are technically "green house" outdoor cabinets

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 10.50.37 AM.png

• Like 2