nowinaminute

That "cowboy" style driver figure from the holiday buggy etc..

I feel like the moulding for his eyes is very asymmetrical on mine, are they all like this?

I'm terrible at painting eyes as it is, but it helps when the moulding for each eye is roughly the same.

Not sure how to approach it, really. I feel like if I paint in accordance to the moulding, one eye will be larger than the other and I'm not sure I have the skill to even them out with some artistic license. Even the eyelids are different lol.

It's hard enough to avoid bonk eyes as it is but I feel like the odds are stacked against me and 🤣🤣

20220214_230642.thumb.jpg.adcc1cead23cb40d882d10c9c488d485.jpg

• Haha 6

Nice mohawk :)

Asymmetry tends to be more noticeable when only the base color is painted. Once you shade it will become a bit more subtle, and finally when you paint the eyes it would be less noticeable. It could still be noticeable, but less so. What I would recommend:

1. Base color (your picture shows this already)
  2. Pain the eyes white
  3. Apply wash on the whole face (or shade manually)
  4. Underline the edge of the top eyelid between the eyelid and the eye. This is where you can start correcting asymmetry: the larger eye gets underlined more towards the white, the smaller eye underlined towards the eyelid.
  5. Accent white on the eye (the wash might have darkened it a bit)
  6. Paint the iris. Paint it just slightly bigger on the larger eye, this way it's fill would be about equal compared to the smaller eye. At this point they should look fairly equal.
  7. Proceed with the paint process (paint lips, correct shading/wash, add highlights, etc)

At the end, there is nothing wrong with asymmetry, it might be a cool face expression with a grin ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the mould, as is the mould for the XR311 driver, is worn. Look at the Tamiya Street Rider to see what is possible with new moulds. That is why I used these new heads for my Willys Jeep. 

I like your new cowboy hair.:D

IMG_20210910_103948.jpg

• Like 7

I kinda avoid using white.  "The whites of the eyes" are just a figure of speech.  It's really more like newspaper gray.  So I just erase a bit with a clean brush dipped in alcohol (if you use acrylic).  

HPehtdh.jpg

I dilute brown (one drop of brown + one drop of alcohol) and let it seep into nooks and crannies.  This washing is what makes it more like a human face.  

XUqGMp9.jpg

After washing, eyebrows and lashes are done. At this time, you can "draw" eyes bigger with darker undiluted brown (like mascara) if the eyes are uneven.   

YliSHzL.jpg

4oky9GV.jpg

I've never used white.  Tamiya's ivory plastic tainted with some flesh is just perfect.  

None of these guys were painted with white.  

FU61slm.jpg

Sadly, I haven't painted any Sand Rover dude yet. 

But I'd make the left eye (his right eye) smaller, by drawing lashes on the eyeball itself. (I've drawn blue to show. But you could do this in brown and make that eye look smaller.)  Lol... he doesn't look happy about a brush scrubbing inside his head....

IJ7c1ED.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I kinda avoid using white.  "The whites of the eyes" are just a figure of speech.  It's really more like newspaper gray.  So I just erase a bit with a clean brush dipped in alcohol (if you use acrylic).  

HPehtdh.jpg

I dilute brown (one drop of brown + one drop of alcohol) and let it seep into nooks and crannies.  This washing is what makes it more like a human face.  

XUqGMp9.jpg

After washing, eyebrows and lashes are done. At this time, you can "draw" eyes bigger with darker undiluted brown (like mascara) if the eyes are uneven.   

YliSHzL.jpg

4oky9GV.jpg

I've never used white.  Tamiya's ivory plastic tainted with some flesh is just perfect.  

None of these guys were painted with white.  

FU61slm.jpg

Sadly, I haven't painted any Sand Rover dude yet. 

But I'd make the left eye (his right eye) smaller, by drawing lashes on the eyeball itself. (I've drawn blue to show. But you could do this in brown and make that eye look smaller.)  Lol... he doesn't look happy about a brush scrubbing inside his head....

IJ7c1ED.jpg

Awesome response but I fear it requires a level of skill/precision/steadiness that is way out of my reach. I'll have a try, though.

• Thanks 1

Okay.. now I feel even more stupid using enamel and a toothpick to do the pupils when Mr Artistry aka  @Juggular used a fine tip Sharpie and it just makes 1000x more sense.   

B) <= Willy iine before reading thread.

:wacko: <= Willy iine after reading thread.. 

• Haha 6

Here is a HB 'cowboy' I painted many years ago . I have approached face painting in different ways since this one and looking at this one I can see how I would tone down the starkness of the eyes which I now paint a sort of 'yellowed' instead of pure white , but you get the idea . These are small heads so the zoomed head pic hi-lights everything 'warts and all' which is fact toned down when you look at it in reality , so you can get away with a lot

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=90656&id=5280

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

20220214_230642.thumb.jpg.adcc1cead23cb40d882d10c9c488d485.jpg

Holy **** balls, I had no idea this is what this dude keeps under his hat!:ph34r:

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Holy **** balls, I had no idea this is what this dude keeps under his hat!:ph34r:

There’s a rabbit in there somewhere too ;) 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

vlcsnap-00117.jpg.84b248404ba9a5fcd672326b37d22fc3.jpg

• Haha 1

He has got one peeper a bit bigger than the other but when painted I think he looks ok, with a bit of expression.

spacer.png

And it sits under the brim of the hat

spacer.png

• Like 6

I made mine an angry looking "Bar Fight" Joe, with a weeping wound, I think the sizes of his eyes are the least of his concern. Oh, he had that bar fight in a post nuclear world (maybe somewhere in Eastern Ukraine?) so he got that warm "glow" too. 

pgLPzrR.jpg

• Like 2

Great painting tips here. 

Does anyone know if this guy would be the right scale for the Clod?

He certainly has "the right look" but I wonder if he is the right scale?

You  can also take pictures so that only one eye is visible, in that way nobody notices the difference :D

Screenshot_20220222-155711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-155734_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2