Sign in to follow this  
Monde

A good build list for a Tamiya newbie!

First of all Hi! New to the forum and to the world of tamiya RC having spent the last 10 years messing around with tekno's, arrma's and Schumachers etc.

I was recently given a mad bull kit and thoroughly enjoyed building it even though it is very simple. I have always liked building kits but for some unknown reason have never ventured into tamiya kits. Thrashing 8s and 6s cars around is still fun but at times I would prefer to be sat in the shed building a kit hence the tamiya itch!

I have just bought a dark impact and an xv-01 (should I have waited for the xv-02!) and I am wandering what other chasis's/models would compliment these and more importantly are fun to build too add to a collection.

It will mostly  be run on short grass or tarmac and not raced or bashed with.

Thanks

• Like 1

I don’t own one, and it’s kind of a beginners kit, but the TT02 has many options so you can mod it however you like.

First of all Hi! New to the forum and to the world of tamiya RC having spent the last 10 years messing around with tekno's, arrma's and Schumachers etc.

I was recently given a mad bull kit and thoroughly enjoyed building it even though it is very simple. I have always liked building kits but for some unknown reason have never ventured into tamiya kits. Thrashing 8s and 6s cars around is still fun but at times I would prefer to be sat in the shed building a kit hence the tamiya itch!

I have just bought a dark impact and an xv-01 (should I have waited for the xv-02!) and I am wandering what other chasis's/models would compliment these and more importantly are fun to build too add to a collection.

It will mostly  be run on short grass or tarmac and not raced or bashed with.

Thanks

• Like 3

If you're looking for a rewarding build experience, I would suggest one of Tamiya's 1/14 rigs or a Bruiser. Especially if you're not looking so much for a basher. The finished vehicle will be one you enjoy casually running and can still display as a conversation piece! 

• Like 1

Do you fancy something that is good to go from the box (once you have built it of course), or do you like modding and tinkering?

• Like 1

XV01 is still awesome - especially the long damper spec version IMO.

If your looking to explore Tamiya then I think you really need at least 1 m-chassis car. The odd numbered chassis are FWD and the even numbered are RWD - the best and highest spec versions currently being the M07 and M08, but these both are supplied without bodies, electrics and rubber and are really aimed at racers. The M05 and M06 are still available, ship with a variety of bodies and depending on where you order from will come with a silver can motor and ESC. The more modern M07 and M08 are a notable step in quality from the older cars and feature better plastics and construction IMO.

Every Tamiya enthusiast should probably also have a CC-01 or CC-02 IMO - the CC-02 is probably the better chassis, and is made from better materials, but ships with a smaller choice (but growing!) selection of bodies. These cars are great IMO as they can really be setup to go anywhere - grass, dirt, tarmac, crawling etc.

If touring cars appeal then there's a lot of choice available and they all have their differences, and they're all very different from the XV01 (which shares some DNA with the the old TA06). They all need to be run on a smooth surface and are quite racer orientated:

- There's the TB family, with the TB05 being the current model (available in Pro or R versions) which is shaft drive, alloy shocks, with oil filled gear diffs and 4WD. Really its a track orientated racer. I would say the TC01 is also a cousin of this car. In terms of build the M07/M08/CC-02 are comparible in terms of quality and complexity. Any Tamiya model starting with the letters TB is a shaft driven 4WD btw. Older TB chassis can still be had new in box but are becoming rarer - the TB03 is relatively easy to get.

- Then theres the TA family, with the TA08 being the current model, this is belt driven with the driveline from the latest TRF cars, the latest shocks, oil filled diffs and many components are carbon reinforced. Build quality is top notch. Older TA series cars are still widely available NIB (particular TA02/03) - the TA01 and TA04 are probably the hardest to get, and the TA06 is probably worth avoiding and was a bit of a flop.

- Last but not least there's the TRF cars - these are track monsters that should be able to win any competitive event with the right driver, but not suited to anything but prepared surfaces. The quality is insane, they are wonderful to build, and they are typically completely hopped up. The TRF420 is the current model, the 420X will shortly replace it. The TRF419XR is still available NIB from suppliers with old stock.

Outside of touring cars and back off road then the worlds your oyster! Personally I would avoid the DF03 or TT02B as they each have their own problems, so 4WD buggy wise your looking at the new TD4 or the Top Force Evo. The Avante is also amazing and should be re released this year.

In off road 2WD everyone should own a Grass Hopper, Super Hornet, Lunchbox, or Blitzer Beatle. SRBs are cool as well. Any DT02 or DT03 car is probably a good shout though - they are cheap, handle well, and can be hopped up nicely. There's a TD2 coming out later this year that will most likely be a logical replacent to the DT02/03 cars and is the same build quality as the TD4 and other new Tamiya kits.

I could carry on a bit as we've not mentioned other ReRe cars or the rally orientated M-Chassis cars, or F1 cars, or trucks, or the budget on road TT/TL cars, or the mini/comicals, or the 6WD monsters, or absolute classics like the X311 or Sand Scorcher. But I'd be here all day and need to go as I have a pint in front of me I need to finish :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

First, you know you have two identical threads going, right?

Second, there are no "bad" Tamiya builds. Some are easy, some are challenging, but they're all rewarding to get right. If you're new to the brand, you have 40+ years of stuff to choose from; pick something that catches your eye, warm up that credit card, and have at it!

My Top 5 for every collector

Super Clod Buster

Txt-2 

Midnight Pumpkin 

Super Clod Buster 

Super Clod Buster

• Haha 1

Since you've been building and running modern (sounds like offroad) stuff for the last 10 years, why not look at some of the rere cars and see how they've changed. The design of my first race buggy, Lazer ZX6, isn't that different to my current D418. But the Boomerang (my first Tamiya BiTD) is completely different.

The Hotshot is just weird. The Avante was the first of the modern layouts (the VQS, Egress would also work here and are probably easier to get). The Top Force is a great build (and runner) and the Top Force Evo is readily avaliable now. The Thundershot cars are all available, and are kind of the crossover chassis from old (Hotshot) to modern(ish) and a good price. The Monster Beetle is one of the best looking monster trucks out and is a great runner (for its time...), with a fantastic quirk of the diff giving up. There are some fixes though.

All of the above will run out of the box as long as you add bearings where they aren't included already. I have (quite) a few rere's and just run them stock in the backyard and they go well. Each has their quirks (like understeer, lack of turn in, awful turning circle or grip roll and oversteer etc) so you have to adjust your driving to get the most out of them.

There is a lot of love for cars like the Lunchbox, Hornet etc. I got a Lunchbox and its horrible to run.  If you plan to run then, I would avoid the solid axle cars as there are plenty of other options around that aren't frustrating.

Then there is onroad. Quirky IFS designs, single belt, original TC where it all started...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The Hotshot is just weird.

:lol:  Agreed!   But such fond memories of mine tormenting the entire neighborhood kids egos' back in the 80's.  It was a fantastic car.  :D

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Prescient said:

My Top 5 for every collector

Super Clod Buster

Txt-2 

Midnight Pumpkin 

Super Clod Buster 

Super Clod Buster

I sense a theme.  :D

• Haha 1

Thank you all! Those 1/14 rigs look great. Without breaking the bank is there any particular rig I should look at or is based on what takes your fancy?

In terms of hop ups and modding I would prefer something to run out of the box as I spend enough time and money on the modern stuff. Do the monster beetle and top force fit this bill? Was also looking at the superhotshot or does that fall under weird like the hotshot!

18 minutes ago, Monde said:

Thank you all! Those 1/14 rigs look great. Without breaking the bank is there any particular rig I should look at or is based on what takes your fancy?

In terms of hop ups and modding I would prefer something to run out of the box as I spend enough time and money on the modern stuff. Do the monster beetle and top force fit this bill? Was also looking at the superhotshot or does that fall under weird like the hotshot!

Weird is good! The Hotshot has a strange suspension setup with a monoshock at each end. I don't have one, but imagine it runs similar to the Boomerang. Any of the Hotshot series (includes supershot, Hotshot 2, Boomerang, Bigwig) will be fine. They actually run pretty well for a car from 1985. The Supershot has a normal suspension layout, only the Hotshot is weird.

The Top Force Evo should be good out of the box. I have a Top Force which is halfway to Evo spec, just because thats what 14yo me wouldve done if I had the money. I'm not sure if the Evo comes with the metal motor mount, thats a weak spot but about USD10 from RCMart for a Yeah Racing one. Then gearsets if you want to adjust gearing for different motors.

The Monster Beetle needs the diff fixed. I have the MIP ball diff which is about USD50, but there are some braces people use with the standard diff which is much cheaper.

Those 1/14 rigs are expensive regardless. The kit, plus a suitable radio, plus the light and sound thing, I know it would run to at least NZD2000 which is about USD1200. I think a trailer is on top of that...

• Like 2

How about getting one per class?  You've got 4wd buggy and rally chassis covered.  

[2WD buggies] :  DT02 or DT03. 

reLX0xz.jpg

[Stunt (clown) class] : Wild Willy 2, Comical Grasshopper, Comical Avante, etc.  

FB3TR5Y.jpg

[6WD] : Konghead, Dynahead.   

TjqE29I.jpg

[FWD Touring] M07 or M05

sqFegLV.jpg

[RWD Touring] M08 or M06

kekDEWg.jpg

[Trail 4x4 Trucks] CC-02, CC-01.  

NCnWSdf.jpg

[Funky class] :Trike, mini Lunchbox.  

waqOKed.jpg

You say, you don't need all these?  Well, that's what I said...long time ago.  "Less is more" doesn't seem to work with Tamiya, just so you know.  On that note, Welcome to Tamiya Club!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As @Juggular said. I am working towards that goal myself, although at this moment, I found MTC to be my calling so I am bunching out to other brands of MTC at the moment.

But the honest answer to your question are "how long is a piece of string?" and "how deep is your pocket?". This question had been asked dozens of time and you will get dozens of answers. 

If you’re used to Tekno's, Arrma's and Schumachers you’re prob after something uniquely Tamiya ? 

If so, Kyosho, Marui and Eidai have copied a lot of the above suggestions over the years so there are v few unscathed Tamiya ‘originals’ left 🤔

Even their Bruiser was ripped off by the Chinese / HG and the 959 Rothman’s enlarged by Carisma …

I don’t think Tamiya’s TRF series cars have been copied - largely because others are independently better in competition - but they’re a great challenge to get spot on if you’re an accomplished builder / driver ?

Ditto Tamiya’s Avante, Vanquish, Astute, Egress series ?

Personally, I think the original 3 speeds have never been equalled - so a vintage Toyota Hi Lux or Blazing Blazer would be a superb (if expensive) introduction ?!

Whatever you decide have fun - and welcome 👍