Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone help with the following ? Used Ebay a little while ago after years of not doing so.

The final sale fee was a surprise! I will call that 15% for safety.

The thing I want to ask about is listing fees. if auction is the fee still higher the more the starting bid is?

If you add a buy now how is that fee worked out?

if you add a make offer option how is that fee worked?

I want to sell a item that I am happy to take £45 for BUT any less I would rather keep it,so at a loss on fees

thanks

hello

15% is about right.i have just sold some items on ebay.sold for 25 pounds plus 7.50 post and packing.so thats 32.50 in total,i got paid 28.04.ebay takes there bit off item and the post,post is about 1% ebay 10 to 15%,if you have paypal 3%.the time to find boxes and packing them,taking to post office,i love ebay i have had some good bargains on there and always looking,but they seem to hit the one off sellers rather than the buyers. 

I only sell on ebay when they have reduced fees offers. Like presently I have an 80% reduced fees offer active on my account for the next 3 days. So anything I list within the next 3 days benefits from that offer 

• Like 1

Selling anything of low value with no special selling discounts isn't worth doing as the fees outway any money worth selling for - as you say - you might as well keep it or offer it up for sale on here . If you sell when the offers are on and you feel confident it will sell and you want £45 then use buy it now and price it at £50 + postage and don't forget the postage will be docked by F.V. fees so take that into consideration . If you use auction the fees still apply and will increase once the final total comes in at the end , bear that in mind too .

• Like 1

bear this in mind......everyone wonts a bargain....when selling its in others and what they are willing to buy/pay.....as a buyer,cheap as chips please....you dont think ebays going sell stuff for free do you

@Gazzalene - if you haven't sold for a while the other thing to be aware of is that you no longer get funds immediately - eBay now handle the cash and pay out after a couple of days, even if the buyer uses Paypal to pay you.

If the auction ends (or the buyer pays) on a Friday night, you might not see the money in your bank until Tuesday!

I don't sell a lot on eBay any more and, on my last sale (£45 Rough Rider body),  eBay held on to the funds for a week in case the buyer had any issues - Had the buyer left feedback earlier, then funds would have been released then.

eBay UK do often have listing fee offers though, I just got offered something like 80% discount on fees this weekend, so it might be worth holding out until the next offer