Sign in to follow this  
Ziddan

My 3d printed way back to RC cars

Hello!

What got me started on this foray into RC was a tiny chassis i partly designed, partly borrowed parts and ideas from various other 3d printable rc cars, i called the Exp1, for experiment one obviously.

Exp1.thumb.jpg.2a8d14a308380729c2869338ec159009.jpg

Designed/adapted to utilize parts i had laying about from my drone/plane days a few years back with one of the motors from a line following robot i built about two decades ago.

The drive system was an o-ring going from a pulley on the motor shaft to the larger pulley on the rear axle, the tires were those fatter lego ones that fit on the red 4 stud rims.

It went together with m3 nuts/bolts,1.5mm wire pins and did drive around my living room.

Wont grab any real photos of it as Its already been scavenged for the flysky 3ch RX and ESC for my second try.

The Exp2 i based on the 1/10 Mk Ultra 4wd buggy that is freely available online, i how ever went ahead and modified it to be RWD, decreased the wheelbase+tread:

exp2.thumb.jpg.c7db7500197b4abbbf031596163720e4.jpg

Initially it was belt driven, as the original was, but my printed TPU belts didnt hold up, after running for a little they would get warm flex enough to keep skipping, even when i made them shorter and eventually put the tensioner to max.

This prompted me to redesign and instead make it gear driven:

exp2GEAR.jpg.243cb7270b5a270e027ab352e2173316.jpg

This seems to work well, power transfer from the 540 motor to the rear diff seems quite reliable but now it would bend the 1.5mm wire dogbones i had made, spit out shards of the printed dogbones i tried so still not a lot of driving.

Since then ive cut 4mm rod to length, cut slots in the ends and soldered in wire instead, this seems to hold up, at least well enough to stall the motor, without breaking.

Ive also printed a body for it, i found a nice export of the GTA5 Injection so now it looks something like this (except for the belt drive visible on the inside in the pic): 

680973169_exp2body.thumb.jpg.c6d35e2d41464edd9e02acd8e1f60649.jpg

It happily does donuts on the foam mat behind it in the pic, gonna go out and try it on a warmer day to see if it survives, the printed TPU tires a quite stiff and not very grippy on firm surfaces.

If it drives okayish im going to go ahead and finish up the body, paint it and the chassi and then have a fun car i built myself.

The printer i have is a chinese noname diy kit based on the I3 i picked up a few years back.

The reason for me getting on this forum is because i ordered a Plasma Edge 2, bearings, pistol grip tx and two 2s lipos yesterday.

The printed car runs with two 3s packs i had left over from my flying days and i already have a B6 lipo charger, sadly five of my packs have puffed, only these two 3s 65c 1000mahs were still firm, hence me deciding to pick up 2s packs rather than more 3s and a different ESC for the Plasma Edge.

Anyways, thats me for now :)

• Like 2

@ZiddanWow! That's great project and some serious design work . Very cool indeed. Would love to se it painted up in action! Any chance of some video? Would also love to see some pics of the chassis if possible. Congrats!

• Like 1

Most of the design work was done by the originator https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/mkultra-3d-printable-1-10-4wd-buggy , ive just modified it to taste, the only design (that wasnt cutting/pasting/moving bits) on my part has been putting gears in, making the body attach and that wasnt a lot.

Ill bring it to work today and if i get away before its too dark ill grab a vid of driving it at the garage, its got a roofed over bit of gravel that isnt frozen solid.

Thanks dude :)

Well, i tried but broke the right wheel axle as soon as i had gotten to the gravel :P

Grabbed a natural light shot of the current way the chassi looks tho.fullcrop.thumb.jpg.97cb468039240acf33f417676ed84c3b.jpg