WillyChang

RCs Spotto in Movies, TV etc

Watched Kevin McAllister's antics (Home Alone) as much as the next kid back when... but always wondered why he didn't have many (any?) RCs in his household. :) 

Just became aware of "Remote" movie, guess someone might have thought the same back in 1990s!!

Have yet to watch it, trailer looks cheesy-as :P & don't even know if it involved Ts... looks more like Jet Hoppers?

Languished in VHS chuckout bin wasteland for 3 decades but someone lately must've trawled thru back catalogue & reissued it on BluRay.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BelknapCrater said:

There’s a movie called Flying Cars that doesn’t look much better:

hahaha yeah, i did chance across that during COVID lockdown :P (greetings from the big island of World's Longest Lockdown)

Totally forgettable straight2video fluff as you say... only things i did remember were:

#1 looks like it was Associated/Reedy sponsored, what say ye?

#2 plot is yet another kiddult not ready to get married :rolleyes: (so says the nerd who brought Ts to his wedding)

thought there was an existing RC Spotto in Movie thread on TC but i couldn't find it today; might've been mistaken in old age brainfog

further to "greetings from the City of World's Longest Lockdown" aka Melbourne Australia, here also brought you "Malcolm" BiTD B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I loved Malcolm when it came out, was brilliant back then imo 

• Like 1

Thanks @WillyChang I've been trying to remember for years what that film was called 👍

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

...Have yet to watch it, trailer looks cheesy-as :P & don't even know if it involved Ts... looks more like Jet Hoppers?....

agent willy took one for the Team, flicked thru Remote flick now reporting back :unsure:

Spotto'd lots of Tyco/Taiyo wheeled RCs, also lots of Futaba TXes & some big DIY box looks hand-cribbed together with Futaba labelling on some component

dunno what the gasser chopper is nor the biplane. Plane looks like moved on rails/string for house interior shots; don't think they had self-starting nitro engines back in the 90s :)

14 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

I loved Malcolm when it came out, was brilliant back then imo 

Brunswick tram terminus just up the road from where I'm sitting, Mark. Probably be able to reach it with a FPV SRB on a good 1200mAh humppack. :lol:

• Haha 1

ok have amended Main Title to include TV ^_^

for the record Tamiyas spotted on:

Punky Brewster S02E15 Girls Will Be Boys

sans_t12.jpg

sans_t11.jpg

Knight Rider S04E04 Sky Knight

• Like 2

As a kid I remebered when Dyson's life is saved by a monster truck in Terminator 2, a Nikko Hawg.

The cars in the first film look like Nikko aero rhinos? 

5 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

The cars in the first film look like Nikko aero rhinos? 

sweet, you're the SMExpert :) 

44100601.jpg

bit of a minor makeover paintjobs by props dept ?

also looks like a fluoro yellow Tyco Hammer pretty much undisguised

A couple of years back I was watching some documentary about an archaeology dig somewhere in the UK, maybe Scotland?  They wanted to investigate down some narrow tunnel, but it was too small and unsafe for human access, so the archaeologist/presenter said he'd been to the model shop and bought a radio controlled car and strapped a camera to it, and they were going to see how far they could get it.

So, what car did the model shop sell him for this arduous task?  An SCX-10, with proven go-anywhere ability?  An E-Maxx, with big wheels and super-wide footprint that won't turn upside down?  A TRX-6, with enough wheels and clearance to get over anything??

No?

No!

Then what?

Wait for it...

An SRB.

Yep.  It made it about 3 feet before it got stuck.

TBH I think it was all done for the drama - I'd be amazed if an archaeological dig big enough to have BBC coverage didn't already have access to camera probes or robotic rovers.

28 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

TBH I think it was all done for the drama - I'd be amazed if an archaeological dig big enough to have BBC coverage didn't already have access to camera probes or robotic rovers.

:lol: ah who knows, everybody always saying The Beeb did some serious budget cuts

The car chase in Dirty Harry 'Dead Pool', think there are 2 Kyosho's 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

think there are 2 Kyosho's 

Not to be that guy, but it was a modified RC10, which spawned the RC10 DS. Even driven by Jay Halsey.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BelknapCrater said:

Not to be that guy, but it was a modified RC10, which spawned the RC10 DS. Even driven by Jay Halsey.

I wasn't sure tbh so happy that you are that guy! :D

11 hours ago, WillyChang said:

thought there was an existing RC Spotto in Movie thread on TC but i couldn't find it today; might've been mistaken in old age brainfog

further to "greetings from the City of World's Longest Lockdown" aka Melbourne Australia, here also brought you "Malcolm" BiTD B)

best film ever i have lost count how many times i have watched it 

if i remember men behaving badly has a monster beetle sitting in diff locations in gary's flat in a few episode's

9 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

Ghost busters after life 2021 had this cool big wheeled monster truck .

I haven't watched all of that video but the actual one in the film is an adapted Traxxas Stampede. 

I've actually agreed to make one for my son. He's becoming pretty obsessed with Ghostbusters (quite right too). His mate has just made a trap so when my son saw the RC in the film I knew what question was coming. I reckon I'm going to try and build a basic one with a GF01 chassis. Probably a few notches down in quality from this build though!

• Like 2