Golden

Audi V8 TT-02 wheel colour….

Has anyone built the Audi v8 touring car and painted the wheels? I don’t like the colour swirls/imperfections in the plastic which you can see on unpainted grey and gold/bronze plastic wheels - so I’ve always painted with TS anthracite/silver and then clear over the top (although not sure the clear adds much to those ts paints….).

For the Audi V8,  I don’t think gold is the correct colour, as the real wheels do actually seem to match the plastic colour - which is a “bronze-come-tan” sort of a shade? Anyone found a paint to match?

Many thanks. 

Depends on do you airbrush or not. If you do, there are tons of available paint, the best metal looking paint is Alclad. 

Haven’t started air brushing yet. I’d like to do so, as have a fair few old hot wheels I’ve been meaning to restore…. But was hoping there might be a Tamiya spray in the right colour. Might have a look at car paints…. 

3 hours ago, Golden said:

I’ve got this kit:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58682/index.htm

The on line photos which I’ve found of the actual car don’t show the wheels in the best light. They do actually look slightly matt/flat gold, with a chrome lip. 

Alclad

ALC 107 Chrome

ALC 108 Pale gold 

I will have to look up my color charts for other options. 

58 minutes ago, Golden said:

Thanks for this. I’ll check them out - looks like air brush paint?

Oh yes, Alclad is strictly airbrush only. 

Only other picture I have of this car which shows gold centres on the wheels:

DTM%201991%20Zolder%20Start%20Scene%20With%20Hans%20Stuck-7f942571-ece4-4abe-be0f-5c34614ee676.jpg

Ended up painting the rims silver and middle sections gold. Blacked in the spokes and then used a citadel wash to detail the studs etc:

57E7A2AB-D907-4F0F-96D2-AFE3750771C5.jpeg

• Like 6

On 3/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, Golden said:

Has anyone built the Audi v8 touring car and painted the wheels? I don’t like the colour swirls/imperfections in the plastic which you can see on unpainted grey and gold/bronze plastic wheels - so I’ve always painted with TS anthracite/silver and then clear over the top (although not sure the clear adds much to those ts paints….).

For the Audi V8,  I don’t think gold is the correct colour, as the real wheels do actually seem to match the plastic colour - which is a “bronze-come-tan” sort of a shade? Anyone found a paint to match?

Many thanks. 

Me Personally, I used TS Matte Black on the silver 2 piece wheels on mine IIRC.

Though I didn't go for box art. The Audi V8 is a nice body!

-RC Perspective

smallaudi3.jpg

On 5/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, Golden said:

Ended up painting the rims silver and middle sections gold. Blacked in the spokes and then used a citadel wash to detail the studs etc:

57E7A2AB-D907-4F0F-96D2-AFE3750771C5.jpeg

Man that looks good! I think you've just made up my mind on what to do with this other set of grey 2-piece wheels for the 911 RSR! Did you use the TS paints or the previous ones mentioned?

As you've seen, I painted the one set of wheels for the Audi black. I have the chrome plated RSR wheels I run the black 5-spoke insert in, And I have one set of 2-piece wheels left with gold inserts from my first Audi kit, Plus extra white 5-spoke inserts I haven't decided what to do with yet.

Needless to say, I love the Tamiya 2-piece wheels and the Audi body is a favorite. Just not sure what to do with the unpainted one yet LOL.

-RC Perspective

Your Audi looks great - where did you get the exhaust from? I wish I had the imagination/bravery to go away from box art! The decals were a ****** to do - you have to heat and stretch to the point of tearing to make them fit  they simply DO NOT FIT as printed otherwise! 

For the wheels, I used TS paints - TS 21 Gold, TS 17 Gloss Aluminium. Can’t remember if I also use TS clear on top….

I then used X18 (semi gloss back) in between the spokes to brush-paint over the spaces between the spokes which are actually solid (where the screws go behind….) - and a Citadel oil gloss (a very thin black wash) to help define the bolts for the split rims, as they looked too clean otherwise. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:56 PM, Golden said:

Your Audi looks great - where did you get the exhaust from? I wish I had the imagination/bravery to go away from box art! The decals were a ****** to do - you have to heat and stretch to the point of tearing to make them fit  they simply DO NOT FIT as printed otherwise! 

For the wheels, I used TS paints - TS 21 Gold, TS 17 Gloss Aluminium. Can’t remember if I also use TS clear on top….

I then used X18 (semi gloss back) in between the spokes to brush-paint over the spaces between the spokes which are actually solid (where the screws go behind….) - and a Citadel oil gloss (a very thin black wash) to help define the bolts for the split rims, as they looked too clean otherwise. 

I got the exhaust off Ebay from one of the scale hobby guys. The page isn't up anymore but you should be able to search "Scale Exhaust" and find some.

Fantastic job on those wheels! I had a feeling you used the TS paints but wanted to make sure before getting them, cause that combo looks fantastic!

Yea I'm not too much a fan of box art unless it's really freaking cool LOL.

-RC Perspective