87lc2

Took the Tamiya Monsters Racing

Ran the first monster truck race of the season last weekend.  It was an indoor carpet race with a really good turnout, about 60 trucks total between Pro Mod & Retro racing.  I'm terrible with remembering to take pictures/videos of racing so just have a few pictures to share (mostly of my trucks admittedly).  Some people did get good video, if I can get a hold of it I'll post it up. 

Ran 2 trucks in Retro; my tried and true stock chassis Clod/Bullhead PA Mountain Monster truck, and my Juggernaut 2 Bigfoot 4.  I've ran the Mountain Monster countless times and it did well finishing 3rd in class.  It was the first time out for the Jugg and definitely the only leaf spring truck at the race :)   Despite needing to fine tune the steering for future events the truck was great and took 1st place!  Really liking this truck and with a bit more tuning it could be almost perfect for a retro racer.  Currently putting a Regulator together, but determined to keep moving forward with the Jugg at least for indoor races. 

Ran 3 trucks in Pro Mod; TXT-2 Bigfoot 11, Losi LMT Bigfoot 16, and SMT10 Thunder Chicken.  This was the first time out for the TXT-2 and it really surprised me, won three rounds but went out in the semis, much further than I ever expected it to go.  It was also one of the favorites at the event, was asked countless times, "What is that chassis", and got one of the best compliments when a racer said it was the most realistic looking truck there, that made my day.  As much as I like winning, I like my trucks to look like real trucks so that was cool.  Could have really made a run for it if it weren't for the steering, I'll need to figure this out.  Running 4WS (which is not ideal in Pro Mod), and during a clean run the truck was perfect, but getting even a little out of shape caused over correction when the rear steer kicked in.  I only had it running at 15-20% but that was enough to upset the truck. 

The LMT did well and also got the semis, but was taken out by an SMT10 when I made a mistake and the other driver took advantage.  Running a bit of rear steer on my LMT and that's what did me in.  On carpet with 4 wheel steer you can't make a mistake.  I originally put it on the truck so it would be a bit more realistic, but if I'm going to continue racing the truck I'll probably do away with it.  It doesn't need it since the front has plenty of steering angle without it.  The biggest problem is actually keeping the rear axle form moving when getting on the power.  I run a Castle 1/8 system and the torque is awesome, but even with a monster servo and no saver it will steer the rear axle just enough to upset the truck when getting hard on the throttle. 

The SMT10 did well and made it to the finals but a stripped rear ring gear did the truck in.  Ran the last 2-3 races (can't remember) with the rear crunching away anytime I got hard on the throttle.  Truck still worked but definitley lost maximum acceleration ability and it got me on the last straight.  We both came out of the turn even for the last ramp and floored it...he crossed the line before me by about half a truck and then they came together in the air, was a great finish - see photo below.  

Overall I was happy with the Tamiya trucks and they certainly held their own.  With a bit more work the TXT-2 is going to be a great truck.  Still nowhere near as easy to drive as an SMT/LMT based truck, but much cooler and fun/challenging to drive.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 18

@87lc2That’s really cool. Sounds like you had a blast and even took home a trophy or two. Interesting to hear the TXT-2 is so capable. What do you plan to do with it to improve it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@87lc2That’s really cool. Sounds like you had a blast and even took home a trophy or two. Interesting to hear the TXT-2 is so capable. What do you plan to do with it to improve it?

Thanks.  Always a good time racing monsters.  For the TXT-2 the drivetrain and suspension are good after my modifications but the steering needs work.  Really not sure what I'm going to do yet.  If I can get enough throw I'll run it in 2 wheel steering but not sure that will be an option, we run pretty tight tracks sometimes.  There's a reason 99% of pro mod trucks are front wheel steer only, adds another dimension entirely when trying to keep the truck straight and every second matters.  Not giving up on it yet, but it needs some work.  

• Like 1

Glad to see my old TXT-2 in competition! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, 87lc2 said:

I only had it running at 15-20% but that was enough to upset the truck.

Still working through this issue with my "proof of concept" Clod Regulator copy. I might try a rear sway bar next. I notice on high-grip surfaces, just before a roll over, my Clod squats and leans over tremendously at the rear. Considering that the Clod, with most of its weight in the gearboxes, still run less articulate stock ladder bars, I can only imagine how tough that might be for a 4 linked shafty like the TXT-2.

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Still working through this issue with my "proof of concept" Clod Regulator copy. I might try a rear sway bar next. I notice on high-grip surfaces, just before a roll over, my Clod squats and leans over tremendously at the rear. Considering that the Clod, with most of its weight in the gearboxes, still run less articulate stock ladder bars, I can only imagine how tough that might be for a 4 linked shafty like the TXT-2.

Yes, great point and thanks for reminding me.  I thought about sway bars when I was building the truck but there wasn't an easy solution, might have to revisit that.  I will say that the truck never rolled or came close to rolling and there was little body roll, if any.   Was taking turns pretty agressively, but nowhere near as quick as I could take them with the SMT/LMT based trucks so bars would help without a doubt. 

I still think the rear steer is the biggest issue, even had a little trouble with my LMT that has rear steer (and sway bars).  Its great for nice sharp turns but getting out of shape at all is pretty much game over (unless the other driver makes a mistake :)).  The only truck I dont have issues with is the black-bodied Clod, can drive that thing at full throttle for nearly the entire lap and it just straightens itself out no matter what for the most part.  Interesting considering you are having issues with your Clod.  Hopefully you're going to post a thread on the build?  I've been meaning to start my Regulator for weeks now, hopefully I can find some time soon.  Maintaining/tuning all of these trucks between races is getting to be quite a chore...

On 3/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, 87lc2 said:

a racer said it was the most realistic looking truck there, that made my day.  As much as I like winning, I like my trucks to look like real trucks so that was cool.

I would agree with that racer, your trucks all look great!

Is that an HO slot car track I spy leaning against the wall? Where is this paradise?? :lol:

28 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I would agree with that racer, your trucks all look great!

Is that an HO slot car track I spy leaning against the wall? Where is this paradise?? :lol:

Thank you!  There were a lot of nice trucks there, but somerthing about that TXT-2 just looks right.  Has a great look to it.

I don't know what scale, but yes that was a slot car track.  I assume HO but I hav no clue... There were actually guys running slot car oval in the room next door that day, it was pretty cool.  The shop is in Bloomsburg, PA.  First time I was there and I'll definitley be back, lot of good stuff in the shop and the other racers were all nice guys.  

• Like 1

I saw this thread last week but have held of reading until I had time to really enjoy it.  Looks like a great venue and top racing - nobody is doing monster truck racing over here, but it doesn't look like much is needed.  I might have to set up some friendlies if I can find a venue.

Great thread and pics, thanks for sharing, and good luck with the mods and the rest of the season - keep us updated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

I saw this thread last week but have held of reading until I had time to really enjoy it.  Looks like a great venue and top racing - nobody is doing monster truck racing over here, but it doesn't look like much is needed.  I might have to set up some friendlies if I can find a venue.

Great thread and pics, thanks for sharing, and good luck with the mods and the rest of the season - keep us updated!

It is a ton of fun and you really don't need much in terms of track supplies or space.  Hopefully you can get something going over there.  I'll try to get better pictures of trucks in action going forward.  Always worried about swapping batteries, getting trucks ready for the next round, etc. that pictures are the last thing on my mind.  Having a few trucks in a bracket gets a bit busy.  

• Like 3