Raptor1410

Tyre removal problems

Hey to all. 

I decided last night to remove some tyres from my blitzer beetle. I didnt like the way i had glued them very much and thought i cld improve on it. 

So i went to work looking for best option. I saw numerous videos on youtube showing the acetone method. As a hairdresser i have acetone do off i went to soak my two front wheels over night. Soon as i put them in i could see it doing its stuff.great. havong just gone to retrieve said wheels i opened up the pot to my two tyres clean of glue. Very happy boy. Then digging down into the white soup to get second wheel i suddenly realised that the wheels had gone. Left only with 2 tyres with now the dissolved wheels dried onto the tyres. Having to pick off. 

This happened to anyone? 

16465800390691885335230719156862.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Raptor1410 said:

Hey to all. 

I decided last night to remove some tyres from my blitzer beetle. I didnt like the way i had glued them very much and thought i cld improve on it. 

So i went to work looking for best option. I saw numerous videos on youtube showing the acetone method. As a hairdresser i have acetone do off i went to soak my two front wheels over night. Soon as i put them in i could see it doing its stuff.great. havong just gone to retrieve said wheels i opened up the pot to my two tyres clean of glue. Very happy boy. Then digging down into the white soup to get second wheel i suddenly realised that the wheels had gone. Left only with 2 tyres with now the dissolved wheels dried onto the tyres. Having to pick off. 

This happened to anyone? 

16465800390691885335230719156862.jpg

They were tamiya stadium wheels by the way

16465802617655397585217409175244.jpg

As it hasnt dissolved the plastic pot it must be whatever type of plastic those wheels were made of isnt particularly solvent resistant. Were they nylon?

Ive used nail polish remover before which i believe is diluted acetone on some touring car wheels which it dyed a pinkish tinge but didnt affect them too badly although it did strip the chrome off some tamiya two piece rims i had but didnt affect the plastic underneath.

16 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

As it hasnt dissolved the plastic pot it must be whatever type of plastic those wheels were made of isnt particularly solvent resistant. Were they nylon?

Ive used nail polish remover before which i believe is diluted acetone on some touring car wheels which it dyed a pinkish tinge but didnt affect them too badly although it did strip the chrome off some tamiya two piece rims i had but didnt affect the plastic underneath.

I know, right! Never thought that would happen. They were tamiya stadium beetle wheels off ebay. Did not come in official packaging so my only thought is fake maybe. Cheap imitation. I wanted to do my orginal blitzer ones but not to sure now. Have you tried the boiling method? I am bit at a loss now.

Wonder if my acatone was to strong as it is professional one for nails. Takes about 10 mins to remove glue on those. May try an old wheel and give it 10 mins and look. Nice separation in the pot though 🤣🤣

I did the same as you, watched a few YouTube videos and exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago, two wheels completely melted away within a few hrs. After that i tried the boiling in water method, worked perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It had been reported many times that acetone melts wheels completely. How about trying super glue remover? 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

It had been reported many times that acetone melts wheels completely. How about trying super glue remover? 

Is it not the same thing?🤔

1 hour ago, Lee1075 said:

I did the same as you, watched a few YouTube videos and exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago, two wheels completely melted away within a few hrs. After that i tried the boiling in water method, worked perfect.

How long did you boil for? Sucks doesnt it, bit of a shock/surprise to

16 minutes ago, Raptor1410 said:

Is it not the same thing?🤔

Not according to the product safety data sheet, it is "Propylene carbonate" although I have no idea what that is. 

18 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Not according to the product safety data sheet, it is "Propylene carbonate" although I have no idea what that is. 

I should know that. Thanks for looking. Learn something everyday

If you boil, wear heavy rubber gloves. Boiling water does a job to your skin without.  I found out the hard way…

• Like 1

I've only ever used the 30 mins in a veg steamer way.

When using acetone, I didn't think you completely submerged them, I thought you had a few mm of acetone in the bottom of a sealed container ,and had the wheels on blocks above the level? 

Wheels need to be nylon to use acetone. All my 1/8 wheels go in acetone and survive no problem. I ruined a set of original Terra Scorcher wheels years ago so now I won’t put any Tamiya wheels in my acetone bath.

3 hours ago, Raptor1410 said:

How long did you boil for? Sucks doesnt it, bit of a shock/surprise to

I suppose that depends on the tyre / wheel size?  All in all it took me around 45 minutes. I let them boil up once and just kept the water hot enough to not boil over.

Sorry to hear about your wheels.  Did you submerge them in acetone?  I always thought you want them to sit above the acetone in the container and let the vapors do the work?  I've only done it once to a set of old Kyosho USA-1 wheels and tires and it worked, but took a few days.  Wheels were fine. 

Rather than messing with CA glue try E6000 or Shoo Goo in the future.  Holds the tire to the wheel just fine and you can peel them right off and reuse anytime you want.  Been using that method for a few years now and it's been great.  Have never had one come loose and always able to separate when needed with no mess or wait.  

Yep i submerged them. Wont do that again. May give fume way a go just out of interest. I will try boiling though for now. Will get some e6000 also. Thanks for all the help guys

• Like 1