Scottrc

Complete beginner starting to race my TT-02

1 hour ago, lukej said:

Nice work! I’ve just found out 2 more clubs near me that will let me run to the same rules as Sidcup so I’ll hopefully get more racing in myself.

Fingers crossed your race at Popalong goes well!

Luke

Thanks just hope I don’t get in anyones way too much! I’m sure it will be a great day. 

That’s good you will be able to get more racing in. I’m lucky that I have a lot of decent clubs near me just not enough time to go to them all!

• Like 1

Yesterday was the Popalong GP and I had been looking forward to it for ages! It didn’t disappoint had an amazing time! Got there early and met my friend that was also racing he also introduced me to some other racers that let me sit with them under their gazebo which was great as it was really hot! 

I didn’t change anything on the car from carpet racing on the Friday apart from put my supra shell on and some wheel stickers. Went out for practise with my usual 28 sweep tyres on and the track was very dusty with not a lot of grip. Everyone was struggling though until the track cleared up a bit. I think it worked out ok for me though as my driving style is a bit loose 😂

There were three heats to get your qualifying times together then you were put into the A,B,C and D finals. 

Made my first mistake of the day and was too busy talking that I almost missed the start of my first heat! Just managed to throw the car on the start line before the final beep! Hadn’t even had time to clean or prep the tyres or do a couple of warm up laps! Was in last place at the start which worked out ok as when the tyres got up to temperature I managed to start picking off some of the other cars. Managed to get myself up into second out of six by the end with some decent consistent laps and the fastest lap in my heat. 
The second heat I left the 28 tyres on as the grip was ok. This time I cleaned the tyres and put additive on. Got a few warm up laps in too. Made my next mistake and got in the wrong grid position at the start and started forth instead of second. Started well and got up to second in the first lap got hit from behind and spun but managed to recover and catch back up and overtake again. While leading I went up the barrier and off the track losing the lead but was put back on and within a couple of laps caught and passed the leader again. Finished my heat first and was really happy with the performance of the car. 
Heat 3 I decided to try my sorex 32 tyres as the track was warming up and a lot of the more experienced racers were doing the same. Had a bit more grip and this time started in my correct grid position. Had a good start again but again was hit from behind and spun all the way around and into last place. Patiently took my time to start picking the cars off one by one with some clean overtakes. Got back up to first again after a really fun battle with a TT02 with the Audi Quattro shell I used to use! Finished the race in first really happy with how it went. 

We were then split into our final groups and I was in the C final with my friend I was sharing a gazebo with.  Really happy with that as it was my first time racing outdoors and the car is really built to carpet spec. 

Final 1 I had done enough to qualify in second position. Had a bad start and was done to third after the first corner. Then on the third corner got hit and spun round. Managed to recover into fifth and carried on. Could tell I had good pace and kept going managing to get back into second but by this point my friend had escaped into the distance! Got tagged by a back marker which spun me off the track. When the Marshall put me back on I had no throttle only steering?!? Jumped down and grabbed the car and switched it off and on again and it came back to life?!? By this point I was last. Carried on and managed to get back to 4th at the end with some decent laps and a good fast lap.

Race two I made a better start and made it to turn 4 before I got smashed into again 🙄. Recovered back into second pretty quickly but my friend was already half a lap in front by then. Then with only a few laps to go the car cut out again 😡. This time on the other side of the track! By the time I had got to the car to switch it off and on I was already well over a minute and a few laps down. Finished the race in last annoyed that I really could of done better. 

Final 3 before the race I checked over the car just to make sure I didn’t just have a loose wire somewhere but all was ok. Was debating whether to change in a different pinion as compared to the other cars I think my top end speed was a bit slower. Decided to leave it alone as didn’t want to make it worse or have something else break and think I could make up the time in the other parts of the track anyway. Had a good start this time running right next to my friends car in the first and second corners. Again all the other cars came barrelling in together pushing us all wide letting my friend gain a good few lengths on the first lap. Still managed to stay in second and put some really consistent laps together without any mistakes. Luckily the car held together this time and I finished second a lap behind my friends TT01. Really pleased with the result as I wasn’t quick enough to win but felt I could of been second in all three races if the car hadnt failed.  That’s racing though and I had such a great time! Finished 4th overall in the C final so still happy with the result. 
Really hope they organise another outdoor race soon as it was really well run and a great day out 👍🏻

Hopefully will be racing this week so will I update if I do. 

EC2356EC-237D-4FD0-818F-B6D5C24CB7F1.jpeg

6738B2CA-4CF8-4235-8447-C7B3FD8411C0.jpeg

• Like 6

Nearly forgot I actually won a prize on the day for best looking car body shell! Really happy with that as it did take me hours to paint and put the stickers on! Was worth using it in the end even if it does have a couple of marks now! Looked awesome going round the track too. 

85972F0E-4828-4AE2-AB22-48BBC845B587.jpeg

• Like 8

At the popalong GP I was chatting to a couple of racers from the Leighton buzzard rc club and they said I should go and have a race there as there’s normally a few TT01/02’s. Last night (Tuesday) is their race night and as I had a free evening decided to take my TT02 for a race. I prepped the car ready Monday night by fitting my 28 sweep tyres, checking everything was tight and also went up to a 24 tooth pinion from the stock 22 as heard the track is bigger than Aylesbury. 
 Two of the fast guys from Aylesbury race there in the TT class on a Tuesday too and I was in a class with them and two other racers. Probably the biggest TT class I’ve been in yet (apart from the popalong race). 
The format was the same with two qualifying heats and a final. The track was larger than I’m used to with a long straight plus some tight hairpins. Had a few laps practise to get used to the layout and really enjoyed the flow of the track. 

Had a really good first heat, kept out of the way of the two fastest guys but had a good battle with the other two guys that were around the same pace. Finished 4th out of 5 and my fastest lap wasn’t too far off. 

The second heat I kept the car the same think the gearing is just about right just needed to tidy up my lines a bit. Had another good race and came 4th again with 3rd and 5th switching positions. 

The final I got a bad start after trying to defend a tight line into the first hairpin it pushed me wide and ended up in last place. Pushed hard to try and catch up and got into 4th again. Had a few taps with the barrier as I was trying to catch 3rd place but couldn’t quite close the gap to the line! 

Had a great night though and as soon as I can get back there to race I will 👍🏻
Think I can safely say the racing bug has really bitten me! 😂

056BEB70-E6A4-46F0-9D42-10DCEF3DFA5E.jpeg

15C7339C-744E-4438-8901-2C265AA28309.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice work! I’m faffing over setup and wiring tidiness now. I think I’ve firmly established building RC cars and racing them as separate hobbies.

Luke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lukej said:

Nice work! I’m faffing over setup and wiring tidiness now. I think I’ve firmly established building RC cars and racing them as separate hobbies.

Luke

I get where you are coming from I like to be as prepared as I can before any race meet and like my car to look good. After my first race though the shell got battered the chassis was scratched and wheels marked 😬. Learnt to still prep it as well I can but not worry as much about how it looks. Even if I keep it off the barriers I can guarantee someone will rear end me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was back at Aylesbury last night raging again. Can’t keep away! 😂. Just took the TT02 with me as haven’t had a proper chance to have a look at the mini and have ordered a new servo for it. 
There was only 4 races, 3 mardave minis and the Tamiya trucks. I was in with the trucks and there was 4 of us in the races. 
Got there in time for a few laps of practice. The Tamiya was still feeling great so didn’t change anything from LB on Tuesday. 

In the first heat I got a good start straight away and had a really tidy race without any crashes all the way to the end. Finished in first and set some really good lap times. Did feel like a bit of a cheat though as could tell my car was faster in a straight line then the trucks! 

In the second heat I got a bad start and was overtaken by one of the trucks. Managed to sit behind them for pretty much the whole race thinking I would wait for them to make a mistake so I could get past cleanly. They didn’t! Finished in second but had a faster fastest lap again, just had a couple of minor touches with the barriers where I was trying too hard to overtake sometimes. Think that’s down to inexperience and not wanting to ruin someone else’s race. 

In the finals even though I qualified first I started last as the trucks are in a championship battle so they switched me to the back. I let them have a bit of a head start and managed to catch them back up in a couple of laps. Third place retired and managed a clean overtake on second position after they had a slight spin. Caught up with first position again but could not get past without making a lunge down the inside and didn’t want to affect the championship. Still had a great time racing and really feel comfortable with the TT02 just need more practice in close battles. Will hopefully be racing again next week with both cars. 

0992795B-F3D8-4F9E-8C16-A15AE599964B.jpeg

3DBCB717-1B45-45DE-BA9B-6941C96016B4.png

• Like 2

My new esc turned up today and had some spare time so decided to swap it over. Bought a new one as at the Popalong gp it cut out in two races, not sure if it overheated maybe as it was ok at LB and Aylesbury. I bought a hobbywing 1060 as have to run an esc that comes in the kit and a lot of people have said it’s a better esc than the tble-02 that came with my car. Soldered a deans connector to it and soldered the esc wires straight to the motor and it’s all working ok. 
Hopefully will get to try it out racing next week. Still trying to figure out how I could make my wiring tidier maybe even shorten the wires!?! 

9A1623BF-BED0-40B1-9688-D0D23766A1DC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Scottrc said:

My new esc turned up today and had some spare time so decided to swap it over. Bought a new one as at the Popalong gp it cut out in two races, not sure if it overheated maybe as it was ok at LB and Aylesbury. I bought a hobbywing 1060 as have to run an esc that comes in the kit and a lot of people have said it’s a better esc than the tble-02 that came with my car. Soldered a deans connector to it and soldered the esc wires straight to the motor and it’s all working ok. 
Hopefully will get to try it out racing next week. Still trying to figure out how I could make my wiring tidier maybe even shorten the wires!?! 

9A1623BF-BED0-40B1-9688-D0D23766A1DC.jpeg

I’m preparing to do exactly this, need to buy a servo lead kit to shorten those too!

Luke

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lukej said:

I’m preparing to do exactly this, need to buy a servo lead kit to shorten those too!

Luke

When you get a servo wire shortening kit let me know what you get. Really hate bending the wires around and cable tying just think it looks messy. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scottrc said:

When you get a servo wire shortening kit let me know what you get. Really hate bending the wires around and cable tying just think it looks messy. 

Will do!

• Thanks 1

This week I decided to go to Leighton Buzzard again on Tuesday night and was looking forward to testing out the new esc. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough drivers for the evening so they had to cancel. Had the day off on Friday to go to the motor show with the family but was hoping to get to Aylesbury for the racing when I got back. To cut a long story short I got stuck in traffic and couldn’t make it ☹️. My last hope was Sunday morning, Milton Keynes rc club run a meeting that I hadn’t been to before, but some friends I race with at Aylesbury and LB were going. The perfect opportunity to try it out. It’s a really well run and relaxed club and the track is probably the biggest indoor track I’ve raced on.

Got the car out for practice and the new esc felt good, felt like it was a bit smoother at slower speeds and the brakes felt stronger. I was struggling a bit with the track as it had some very tight corners and the car didn’t feel as grippy as normal. Got around 8 laps under my belt and got the car ready for the first heat (turned out heat was the key word here 😬).

Took the car down for my first heat and put it on the mat to scrub off the tyre additive. When spinning the wheels up suddenly I had a little bit of smoke from the car. Picked it up thinking maybe the tyre was rubbing the bodywork. As I picked it up suddenly thick white smoke started pouring out of it! 😬. Ran outside with it and put it on the concrete floor thinking the Lipo was on fire! Heard a pop and the smoke went out , got the shell off, disconnected the battery and then noticed the esc had exploded! Couldn’t believe it! The guys racing were looking at it and think it wasn’t a genuine hobbywing even though I bought it and it was described as it was! I missed the first heat and spent it fixing the car. Luckily I kept my old Tamiya esc and managed to borrow a soldering iron and soldered it back in. 

The second heat went ok finishing third out of four, three laps down from the leader. Still hadn’t quite got to grips with the track and kept making silly mistakes.

The third heat I improved my lap times again but finished in forth. Still making rookie errors but felt like the back of the car didn’t have the grip it normally does. Everyone else seemed to be struggling with grip roll but I was sliding! 

For the final I improved my lap times and average time again but was still last 😂. Three laps down from the leader, two from second and finished on the same lap as third place. I’ll take that after the mornings bonfire! 😂

Not sure if I will make any racing next week but have already ordered a new esc from a trusted hobby shop this time! Lesson definitely learnt! Have messaged the seller of the “hobbywing” that exploded to see if I can get a refund and maybe they might think twice about selling dangerous electronics. Will need to get some more 28 tyres too as mine are well past their best now. Also ordered a couple of other bling parts while I was ordering the esc would of been rude not too! Will update once I fit shiney bits or race again 👍🏻

C6BC632E-FC04-4F31-B825-8C0028671EC3.jpeg

• Like 1

I was back at Aylesbury last night but before I went I had an evening in the garage prepping both cars ready. 
The Tamiya I fitted the new genuine hobbywing 1060 esc, carbon bumper mount and carbon battery holder. 
The mini I fitted a new low profile servo meaning I could run the esc lower down for a better center of gravity. Also have it a good clean and check over. 

Took the mini out for practice first and let the tyre additive soak into the tt02. The mini felt better after I set the steering trim and steering end points, still pulls when on full throttle but have been told that they all do it just have to be more progressive with the throttle. 

The mini was up first with 6 of us in the race. Just took it easy and didn’t even really go full throttle as wanted to have a clean race to get back into driving the mini. Finished 5th. 

The TT02 was in with the mtc group again but today there was another TT01 to race too. The Tamiya is like a pair of old slippers now and I can get on with driving it and feel comfortable with it now. Still made a couple of mistakes and was struggling with the two tightest corners of the track compared to the other cars. Came in 3rd out of 4 which was expected. Two laps down from the leader. The fastest car was an mtc which is a rocket and in 2nd place the more experienced TT01 racer. Was within half a second of the TT01’s fastest lap but still can’t consistently do quick lap after quick lap. 

The second mini race the grip had started to get better and I was able to use full throttle and pick out some good lines. Finished 5th again but a lot closer to 4th and not as many laps (3) behind the leader. 

The second TT race was more of the same. Had some fast laps but also had a couple of big crashes into the barriers trying to let the faster guys through. Around half way through I clipped an inside barrier which launched me off the track and into the wall at full speed 😬. Ripped the rear spoiler clean off. I never thought the spoiler actually did anything but it really does! Struggled with rear grip for the rest of the race. Finished 3rd again. 

The mini final I was improving again with a faster lap and closer average. Still finished in 5th but again was a lot closer and wasn’t making any mistakes just need to be a bit tidier and carry more corner speed. 

The Tamiya final i stuck my spoiler back on but had to fit it directly to the boot lid as the mounts were broken. Still didn’t feel like it had the grip from the start of the evening. Don’t know whether that was from the spoiler being lower, maybe I bent something in the crash or finally my tyres have had it. Still had great fun and finished 3rd again just had a lot more mistakes trying to keep up with the fast guys. 

Im on holiday next week so won’t be racing but will prep the cars ready for when I’m back. I need to get some spoiler mounts and bite the bullet and order new tyres for the TT. The mini is ok the servo is an improvement from the old one I had in before,  just needs a good clean and check over. 

57F911DB-A405-405C-958F-2FB22C937EDA.jpeg

• Like 1

Think I found the reason the handling was a bit off in the Tamiya final. Just checked the car over and found the left hand rear tyre completely ripped off the wheel! Everything else looks ok so just need to get some tyres. I do have some sorex 32’s if I can’t get any more in time for my next race. Also added an extra steering bridge to tighten up the steering and it seems to of worked. 

0CDEA4B2-AA44-4E2A-9BA9-34CB187F0B1C.jpeg

I’m back! Was on holiday so missed a week of racing, so Tuesday I made my way down to Leighton Buzzard with my TT02. 
Since my last race I had fitted a brand new set of sweep racing 28 tyres as my last set are now destroyed! Also fitted the extra steering bridge so was keen to see if there was any difference. 
During practice the car was undrivable! I hadn’t had time to scrub the tyres in so it was like driving on drift tyres! Took the car straight outside and skidded it around the carpark for 5 minutes brought it back in and cleaned the tyres. I didn’t have time for another practice run so put the tyre additive on and got ready for the first race. 

Heat 1. There were a lot of TT class cars which was great and meant splitting the cars into 2 heats. My first race was great even though the tyres were still not fully bedded in. Finished in 3rd out of 6 on the same lap as 2nd and 1st with the fastest lap of the race. 

Heat 2 I was doing great at the start until my car stopped on lap 10. Ran over to pick it up and it started working again!?! Carried on and finished 4th and 5 laps down from the leader. Checked the car over in the pits and it all seemed to look ok. 

I was put into the final with my friend that was racing his TT02SR. Had a great little race with him Finishing 2nd out of 7 and 2 laps down but with a fastest lap only 0.03 behind! Just need to get more consistent!

All in all a great night of racing and my car seems to suit the LB track more than anywhere else.  

1681BACD-9968-4EC2-9D63-AB14D911CFE2.png

• Like 1

Managed to get back over to Aylesbury on Friday night again and again took both cars! 

Heat 1 the mini was up first started off slow as didn’t get time to practice and it was a completely different layout. Put a few good laps together but didn’t have the speed to match the other drivers. Still felt like my car was pulling under full throttle. Finished last.

Heat 1 for the TT02 and I was in a mixed group with my TT02, a TT01, 3 trucks and an MTC. Had a great race and finished 3rd a couple of cars lengths behind a truck in 2nd and MYC in 1st on the same lap. 

Heat 2 for the mini before I went out I checked my ride height. The front was ok but the rear was 7mm on the left and 3.5mm on the right! Adjusted them both to around 4mm. The car felt much better and wasn’t pulling anywhere near as bad. Still finished last but the car was much easier to drive just need more practice! 

Heat 2 for the Tamiya and again I had a great race and finished in a very close 3rd place on the same lap and with the fastest lap of the race again. Even led the race for a few laps but always make a small mistake letting the more experienced drivers straight back past. 

The finals for the mini and I was put into the D final. I won! Finished a lap in front of 2nd with the fastest race lap. Strangely at the end of the race I drove the mini towards me and it stopped!?! Disconnected and reconnected the battery and it came to life again!?! 

The final for the Tamiya and I started well but got hit and pushed into last. I started to get into a rhythm and picked off the drivers one by one untill I got into the lead after 1st and 2nd tangled. It didn’t last long as on the next lap I clipped an inside barrier putting the car on its side and knocking the spoiler off. Then 2 of the trucks came round the corner straight into my stuck car! There was nowhere they could go. The marshal got it back on the track but it wouldn’t drive straight. Got it off the track and realised I had snapped the front right cvd in half! Race over. 

Had a great evening of racing again and feel like I’m getting somewhere with the mardave mini now just need a lot more driving time. For next week I just need to fit my spare cvd to the Tamiya and reattach the spoiler. Also take a look at the mini to see why it randomly switched off?!?

9BCD93EE-60B1-4015-BDC0-B4BA9A6F18D4.jpeg

Managed to get to Leighton Buzzard again Tuesday night with the TT02. Again there was a good turn out of tamiyas and we were split into 2 groups. I was in the slower group with 4 other drivers. 

Heat 1 I struggled a bit with grip still feel as though I’m getting some under steer especially at the start of the race. Still managed a good race but dont feel like I put a tidy lap together. Finished in second but 2 laps behind the leader.  

Heat 2 was more of the same felt like the grip had got better and the car was handling better. Had a couple of small mistakes and finished in second again but a lap down from the leader. 

In the final I was put in the B final and the leader of my heats was moved into the A final. There was 4 of us in the B. I started in the lead but got a bad start and was into 3rd by the second corner. I stayed calm and got into second by the second lap. I started to reel in the leader by the next couple of laps and managed to sneak past. I led for 2 laps then went wide, got passed and hit the barrier rolling over! Luckily managed to land back on my wheels and didn’t lose too much time. Got my head down and lap by lap started to catch the leader. I was 2 seconds behind with only a few laps to go but was catching up with some really good laps. On the last lap I was on his rear bumper when he went wide going into the second from last corner and I snuck up the inside! Won the race, got the fastest lap and had the best race I have ever had! 
All in all it was a great night of racing! 
Can’t make racing this Friday but hopefully will be at Leighton Buzzard next Tuesday. 
Also bought a TT01E race truck to keep me busy to race at Aylesbury! 

88735D74-C04D-472A-99FC-B44DB62F4305.jpeg

• Like 2

Went racing at LB again Tuesday night with the TT02. Again there were 8 of us racing in the TT class so were split into 2 groups. I hadn’t changed anything on my car since last week apart from raising my rear spoiler back up with my new wing mounts my friend printed for me. Got stuck in a bit of traffic on my way there so made it late to practice. Got straight on the track but didn’t have time to prep and glue the tyres. Car didn’t feel like it had great grip but wasn’t sure if that was an issue with the carpet not being very grippy yet or my tyres not being prepped. 

Heat 1 I started first and as usual started a bit slowly as I searched for grip. Car felt much better after cleaning and adding tyre additive. Had a great race and led from start to finish with no major errors. Completed 21 laps and finished 2 laps in front of second. 

Heat 2 and again I got away cleanly and led from start to finish again. Had great pace for the whole race and didn’t feel pressured so kept it clean and tidy. Got a faster best lap, quicker average laps and finished 3 laps in front of second with 21 laps again. 

The finals, I was in the B final even though I drove well and finished first in both my heats I still can’t quite match the pace of the fast guys. I’m getting closer every week though, finishing 2/3 laps behind and half a second slower. In my final I was first on the grid and actually managed a good start getting into the first tight right hairpin corner first and with a nice gap. Had another good race but with a couple of little mistakes and a spin so completed 20 laps instead of 21. Got a faster lap time then in the heats but this time the other drivers had stepped up a gear and second position was only a lap behind. Very happy with the result though as still led from start to finish and I’m getting used to the pressure of leading. Also improving making clean overtakes and getting past back markers quicker. 
Should be back racing next Tuesday as missed out at Aylesbury tonight. Want to get back to Aylesbury when I can though and try out the truck. 

34C2C3FB-0D68-4549-9D60-CB0E83741DB7.png

9122C917-17B5-4D9A-A8B8-6764440E07A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Was back at LB racing again last Tuesday and again haven’t touched the car since the last race apart from cleaning and checking it over. Have to say now with the alloy hubs and bolt on turnbuckles the car is holding up really well to my driving! Have noticed the front top suspension arms have more slop than they used to so will get some new ones on order. Have also ordered some more suspension shims as feel I could shim out a bit more play. 

Unfortunately I got to LB late after finishing work late so missed and practice and only just managed to slap a bit of tyre additive on before the first heat. This week was a fun night and there was only 3 of us racing the TT class. 
In the first heat I started first and although I took a couple of laps to warm up after around the third lap I started to get in a rhythm and pulled a nice gap away. Probably drove the best I have before and had a completely clean race, best fastest lap and finished first. 

Heat 2 and this time my friend in his M07 joined our class as the M chassis class was really busy (8 cars at a time!) and his lap times are nearly identical to mine! Started first while my friend was last. Led for the first few laps but didn’t feel as good as in the first race. Could see my friend starting to catch me and got himself into second. My car still didn’t feel like it had that much grip especially in the tight hairpins, and it went really wide into the last hairpin and my friend stuck his M07 down the inside and into the lead. I tried to stick to the back of him and followed for a lap until I tried to hard and clipped the barrier sticking my car on the roof! Annoyingly it was right in the middle of the track! I managed to get back into a rhythm after with no pressure from behind and put some good laps in. Felt like I was catching back up but ran out of laps. Finished second. 

For the final I started second. I actually got one of the best starts I’ve ever had and got into the first corner in first place. Again I led from my friend in second until around the 5th lap I crashed trying to hard and stuck it on its roof again! Really don’t know how I manage it! I didn’t lose too much time but was still last by the time I was back on my wheels. I managed to get past third in the next couple of laps and started to close down second. A couple of laps later I caught second place and managed to get down the inside but we collided, it was only a slight knock but must of hit his wheel as it jammed up his steering and put him out of the race ☹️. Felt really bad but was a racing incident and he was ok about it. Kept going and it started to click. Put in some really good laps and managed to catch right back up to my friend right near the end of the race. I was pretty much on to the back of him but again made a slight mistake going wide and hitting the barrier which allowed him to get away and win. Had a great race though and was really fun racing my friends M07 I think we both pushed each other on and did some great laps. Our best laps were separated by 0.11 seconds and I took 7 of the best laps out of 10 so still happy with the result. Still need to sort out my consistency especially when racing in close battles always seem to push too hard or lose concentration and crash. Looking forward to next Tuesday though when I can do it all over again 👍🏻

019408D2-A2C3-4938-9361-8AC7248E7BB6.jpeg

• Like 2

I went racing again Tuesday night at LB and it was the start of a new autumn championship series. I’m still racing my TT02 and a few other racers that raced the m chassis class how now switched over to the TT01/02 class. My friend that raced his M07 has now switched over to race his TT01E so we are in the same class which is great!

Heat 1 I started off in first out of 5 and my friend started last. It didn’t take long for him to get into second though and on the 3rd lap he caught me as I went a bit wide. I’m still struggling with grip at the start of the race and still takes me a while to get in a rhythm. I made a couple more mistakes hitting the barriers and he got away. Finished second with my fastest lap only 0.30 behind but just not as consistent. 

Heat 2 was more of the same made a couple of small errors then rolled onto my roof but still put some decent laps in and finished second again. 

The final I drove much better even though it was over 5 minutes instead of 4 I made hardly any mistakes and gave me friend a good race. I actually got into the first corner first and led for a few laps before he managed to get passed. Finished second again but only 0.09 slower on my fastest lap and 0.5 on my average laps so improved a lot over the evening. 
Checked the car over when I got home and found loads of play in the front right too suspension arm, stripped it down and found the arm had actually snapped! I’ve ordered some new top arms and gone with the Tamiya adjustable arms as they are supposed to be stronger and will let me adjust the camber. 
Should be racing again next Tuesday so might have to borrow the arms off my other TT02D. 

1ABE92F8-B064-484C-9A02-EEEC84FF6D23.jpeg

B23B146E-5C76-4BA9-BE66-A84DB272AFFE.png

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 1:57 AM, Scottrc said:

gone with the Tamiya adjustable arms as they are supposed to be stronger and will let me adjust the camber. 

The adjustable arms are interesting for playing with camber but unfortunately I found them almost unusable at the track because they would just snap at the slightest tap on the boards/walls/curbs 😕

Years later I ended up with my own system:

Good luck and keep up the race reports, really love them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

The adjustable arms are interesting for playing with camber but unfortunately I found them almost unusable at the track because they would just snap at the slightest tap on the boards/walls/curbs 😕

Years later I ended up with my own system:

Good luck and keep up the race reports, really love them!

I will see how I get on with them was hoping they might of been a bit stronger than stock but maybe not 😬. Really like what you have done with your TT02 but as I’m in a stock class there’s no way I would be able to get away with that! Probably not really going to be allowed to use the camber arms but will see what happens. 

• Like 1

Went racing again last Tuesday and borrowed the top suspension arm off my TT02D as my adjustable arms didn’t get here in time. Also had to fit another front top shock mount as the old mount had loads of play in it. 

As usual I got there late and missed practice 🙄. My friend Brendan wasn’t racing but there was still 5 of us in the TT heat. 

Heat 1 I set off in first position and felt comfortable straight away. Stayed in the lead for the whole race and finished 1st. 

Heat 2 I had another good race and had a good battle with second place for a few laps. A lap from the end I went to overlap 2nd place and got t-boned which pushed the shell right in so that it got stuck over my esc! Looked like a real car that had been in an accident. The shell was rubbing on the rear wheel but I carried on as knew I only had a lap to go. Finished 1st again. 

The final. The car wasn’t damaged at all managed to pop the shell back and had to restick the esc and receiver down. I was first on the grid and got a good start into the first corner and was away. Had a good clean race and finished in 1st, 3 laps in front and with a lot of good fast laps. Should be racing again Tuesday and hopefully Brendan will be back for a close race again. Will probably leave the stock arm on for now and build up the camber arms when I get time. 

B4E33E74-9BDA-46CB-9C90-0E14C5C1EA99.png

• Like 2