Scottrc

Complete beginner starting to race my TT-02

20 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Three wins! Excellent job. 

Thanks 👍🏻. To be honest the faster guys have switched race classes so if they were racing I would probably be winning the B final! I’ve still come a long way from where I started though and I’m enjoying my racing even more. 

• Like 2

Took the TT02 racing again last Tuesday night. Didn’t get chance to fit the adjustable camber arms so just cleaned the tyres and checked it over. 

There were 7 of us in the TT class so a busy night! Again I missed practice and the track layout had changed to a track I hadn’t raced on before. The track was a lot more technical with slower/tighter corners. 
Heat 1 I started well and had a really close race. Finished in 3rd but near the end of the race felt like my car was pulling to the right quite heavily. After the race I checked the car over and found my front right driveshaft pin had come loose and had cut a groove into my front hub. I had a spare driveshaft so fitted that before the next heat. 
Heat 2 again I had a decent race and finished 3rd again. Car felt much better and the grip felt a lot better. Did notice the front right wheel vibrated a lot and looked buckled. Stripped the front right suspension down and found the wheel bearing had collapsed! Had to fit the kit plastic bushes to get out for the final. 

The final I had a terrible start and got collected by 4th place pushing me into last. I managed to recover and worked my way back into 3rd from 4th after a good battle with 3rd position. The leader had a collision with a back marker which pushed me into 2nd. Then the new leader clipped the barrier letting me past into 1st. It didn’t last long and a lap later I made a small mistake and dropped to 2nd. As the final laps counted down I could see 3rd position catching me. I got tangled up with 2 back markers at the same time and 3rd position managed to sneak by all of us demoting me to 3rd. Really enjoyed the race though and put some decent lap times together. There’s some great clean driving in the TT class and very similar lap times now.  
For next week I need to replace the bearings and get some spare driveshafts on order. Have to add if anyone does read this and is thinking about trying racing I would say go for it! I’m so glad I did. I’ve met some really nice, friendly and helpful people at all the clubs I’ve been too and always have a great time. 

918668D9-8F5E-48ED-8343-D8EB7E4E74DB.jpeg

6771D460-815A-4B03-A511-AD60E279F1FC.png

• Like 3

Went racing again Tuesday night but had a busy weekend and hadn’t had a chance to look over the car or even clean the tyres since the last race. As usual I turned up late and missed the practise session 😬. This week there were 8 TT class cars and only 3 minis so we got split into 2 groups.  After my wheel bearing collapsed the race before I ordered a new bearing set but didn’t get a chance to fit them so took them to the race. Thought I would have plenty of time to replace them before the race but just as I had fitted the new bearings the TT01/2’s were called to the grid for the first heat! I worked like a F1 pit crew and got the car back together just before the heat started 🙄. As soon as the heat started I then remembered that I also hadn’t put any tyre additive on so had no grip for the first few laps! I finished 4th out of 5 but finished on the same lap as 2nd and 3rd and put in a decent fast lap. 

For the second heat I remembered the tyre additive and had a good start to the race sticking with 1st and 2nd until I tangled with a lapped car and hit the barrier. I had no steering after the accident and a Marshall took it off the track to try and fix it. The steering arm had popped off, the marshal did manage to fix it but by the time I was back on track I only did 1 lap so finished last. 

For the final due to my disasters in the 1st and 2nd heats I moved into the mini group. Had a great race starting well with no drama’s and had a great race long battle with my friend Jamie and his TT01. It was that close I actually thought he had won then realised I had lapped him at some point! A great night of racing again but I need to now go through the car and make sure I have no more breakages. I’m also leading the championship at the moment but that’s more to do with me racing every week and the front runner missing a race! 

0F3CEDDA-0478-493F-95AF-B6CE849E4888.png

0E4E91A9-65E1-4C41-9D6B-B408C92AF852.jpeg

• Like 4

On 12/5/2022 at 7:58 AM, Willsls1 said:

This has been a very cool thread to read. 

Thanks. I’ve enjoyed writing down all my mishaps! 😂. I’ve still been racing recently but haven’t updated in a while. I can’t seem to add any pictures at the moment, but will update soon as the LB race season is now over and I’ve had a few breakages/changes to the car to report. 

On 8/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, Scottrc said:

This week I decided to go to Leighton Buzzard again on Tuesday night and was looking forward to testing out the new esc. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough drivers for the evening so they had to cancel. Had the day off on Friday to go to the motor show with the family but was hoping to get to Aylesbury for the racing when I got back. To cut a long story short I got stuck in traffic and couldn’t make it ☹️. My last hope was Sunday morning, Milton Keynes rc club run a meeting that I hadn’t been to before, but some friends I race with at Aylesbury and LB were going. The perfect opportunity to try it out. It’s a really well run and relaxed club and the track is probably the biggest indoor track I’ve raced on.

Got the car out for practice and the new esc felt good, felt like it was a bit smoother at slower speeds and the brakes felt stronger. I was struggling a bit with the track as it had some very tight corners and the car didn’t feel as grippy as normal. Got around 8 laps under my belt and got the car ready for the first heat (turned out heat was the key word here 😬).

Took the car down for my first heat and put it on the mat to scrub off the tyre additive. When spinning the wheels up suddenly I had a little bit of smoke from the car. Picked it up thinking maybe the tyre was rubbing the bodywork. As I picked it up suddenly thick white smoke started pouring out of it! 😬. Ran outside with it and put it on the concrete floor thinking the Lipo was on fire! Heard a pop and the smoke went out , got the shell off, disconnected the battery and then noticed the esc had exploded! Couldn’t believe it! The guys racing were looking at it and think it wasn’t a genuine hobbywing even though I bought it and it was described as it was! I missed the first heat and spent it fixing the car. Luckily I kept my old Tamiya esc and managed to borrow a soldering iron and soldered it back in. 

The second heat went ok finishing third out of four, three laps down from the leader. Still hadn’t quite got to grips with the track and kept making silly mistakes.

The third heat I improved my lap times again but finished in forth. Still making rookie errors but felt like the back of the car didn’t have the grip it normally does. Everyone else seemed to be struggling with grip roll but I was sliding! 

For the final I improved my lap times and average time again but was still last 😂. Three laps down from the leader, two from second and finished on the same lap as third place. I’ll take that after the mornings bonfire! 😂

Not sure if I will make any racing next week but have already ordered a new esc from a trusted hobby shop this time! Lesson definitely learnt! Have messaged the seller of the “hobbywing” that exploded to see if I can get a refund and maybe they might think twice about selling dangerous electronics. Will need to get some more 28 tyres too as mine are well past their best now. Also ordered a couple of other bling parts while I was ordering the esc would of been rude not too! Will update once I fit shiney bits or race again 👍🏻

C6BC632E-FC04-4F31-B825-8C0028671EC3.jpeg

I see you're running a LIPO and the ESC jumpers are set to NiMH, could be why it fried itself.

Great thread, I've just started out racing in a TT02 class and it's been great to read your progression. Ours is a lot more strick with what mods you can run though.

21 hours ago, Simon998 said:

I see you're running a LIPO and the ESC jumpers are set to NiMH, could be why it fried itself.

Great thread, I've just started out racing in a TT02 class and it's been great to read your progression. Ours is a lot more strick with what mods you can run though.

Yeah was told by a few guys at the club that sometimes if the 1060 is put into Lipo mode they can cut out too early. Plus it’s only their to cut the power when your Lipo hits its minimum voltage and I always change my battery for each race. I’m sure it was a fake hobbywing so I always buy from a legit hobby shop now. 
Thanks, I’ve still been racing but haven’t updated in a while will have to update as soon as I can. Hoping to do the iconic cup and some different racing next year so will update this thread soon. 

Just thought I would do a quick update as the race season has now ended. Had a great time racing pretty much every week since I started racing back in March, my driving and car have definitely improved and I’ve met some great people through the hobby!

My last race was last Tuesday at Leighton Buzzard with my TT02 and although my driving wasn’t great that night I still had a great time. I finished 2nd and  3rd in the heats after struggling with grip and getting taken out badly in the second race. I finished 2nd in the final after making a few mistakes and the car not quite feeling right. Had a good little battle with my friend Adrian though so really enjoyed that. The awards for the different classes were handed out and I actually came second in the TT01/02 class so really pleased with that, even though I only really race for fun. 
My next race now is not for a couple of weeks so I will strip the TT02 right down and clean and inspect everything. Will also clean the motor out as haven’t done it in ages and it doesn’t feel as strong as it once was. Debating running my supra shell or buying another shell as the skyline one now has a bit of rear bumper missing!

Over christmas I also bought an MTC so will build that up to race soon aswell. Next year I’m hoping to still race my TT02 at Leighton Buzzard and race my MTC and mardave mini at Aylesbury when I can. Also every now and then run my TT01 truck at Milton Keynes as Aylesbury seem to of killed the truck class off now. May even convert the TT01E into a touring car to compare against the TT02. 
Happy new year to everyone that’s read and contributed to this thread and here’s to plenty more racing in 2023!!! 👍🏻

• Like 7

Hello again. Just a slight update of what’s been going on. I’m still unable to add pictures but the car hasn’t really changed too much. I’m now using my castrol Toyota supra body as my skyline body took an impact to the back and broke some of the rear bumper off. Considering it was a £16 eBay pre painted job it did well! 
The biggest change I have made to the car recently has been changing my cheap Flysky transmitter over to a sanwa mts ttansmitter. My new transmitter is so much quicker to react and feels much smoother. My driving seems to have jumped up a level and I’m regularly top two in the A final. Recently I’ve won my last few races now but haven’t done quite enough to win the championship that’s just ended. Finished in a close second though. 
Now the summer season is starting I’ve now decided to move over racing my 3 racing m5 pro mtc at Leighton Buzzard but will still continue to race my TT02 at Milton Keynes on Sundays as still really enjoy driving it. 
I’ve also converted my TT01E truck into a stock touring car to race at the iconic cup this year. I’ve booked in to do 3 rounds so will see how I do. Still need to finish my TT01E off and give it a shake down before my first race at the end of April! 
I will add some more updates soon and will write another race report for the iconic cup 👍🏻

• Like 5

It's still nice to read your race reports. Glad you could improve your skills and your cars are running well. Congratulations to your second place in the championship. Well done! 👍

Regarding your issues with uploading photos: is it possible that you've reached your personal upload limit? You could check in your account under "my attachments". You only have 75MB and I've just downloaded your last picture which was 1.73MB. If all pictures are that big you could only upload around 50 photos. You should resize your photos with an app on your phone or Windows Paint for example on your PC. Don't know what you are using. 

• Thanks 1

Milton Keynes you say? Is a TT-02 a good way to have a tiny dip of toe in water on racing? I've got one (SR), and have never raced but would love to give it a go and am often in the area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

It's still nice to read your race reports. Glad you could improve your skills and your cars are running well. Congratulations to your second place in the championship. Well done! 👍

Regarding your issues with uploading photos: is it possible that you've reached your personal upload limit? You could check in your account under "my attachments". You only have 75MB and I've just downloaded your last picture which was 1.73MB. If all pictures are that big you could only upload around 50 photos. You should resize your photos with an app on your phone or Windows Paint for example on your PC. Don't know what you are using. 

I think you might be right. Didn’t realise I had uploaded so many pictures! I always upload straight from my phone so will log in on my laptop and see if I can resize some pictures. Thanks for the help 👍🏻

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Milton Keynes you say? Is a TT-02 a good way to have a tiny dip of toe in water on racing? I've got one (SR), and have never raced but would love to give it a go and am often in the area. 

Yes the TT02 is a great car to start racing with. I still really enjoy racing mine and have really enjoyed upgrading it and making it into a better race car. I would say just go for it. Milton Keynes is a great club run on a Sunday morning, it’s really relaxed and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Racing normally starts around 9 and finished around 1 and you get 3 qualifying races and a final too. There’s also a novice class with a mix of different cars (my two kids are actually making their debut tomorrow morning with my mardave mini).  Have a search on Google or Facebook for Milton Keynes radio controlled car club. Hopefully will see you there at some point 👍🏻

On 3/25/2023 at 9:26 AM, Scottrc said:

I’ve also converted my TT01E truck into a stock touring car to race at the iconic cup this year. I’ve booked in to do 3 rounds so will see how I do. Still need to finish my TT01E off and give it a shake down before my first race at the end of April! 
I will add some more updates soon and will write another race report for the iconic cup 👍🏻

See you at Broxtowe :)  Reminds me that I haven't touched mine since the last round last year and I need to swap the motor as well!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, dlruk said:

See you at Broxtowe :)  Reminds me that I haven't touched mine since the last round last year and I need to swap the motor as well!

Yes would be great to bump into you. I’m looking forward to it. Just had my final parts delivery for my TT01E so now have my shocks, servo saver, motor mount and new shell. Only ever done one outdoor event so will be interesting 👍🏻

Change of motor for this year (which is great as I had so many of the TP ones catch fire!), think it will need big pinion most of the time, probably 27 or 28T and fit the allowed 55T spur. As you're not allowed the rear toe in uprights in Stock the rear can be an issue. I always ran softer tyres on the back.

• Like 2

Great thread. I'm looking to get back into the hobby, had a few years off but loved racing indoor on carpet when I was younger! Aylesbury isn't far from me either 

• Thanks 1

Wow what a journey, inspired me to pull my finger out. Also starting racing myself with a freshly built SRX. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:37 AM, dlruk said:

Change of motor for this year (which is great as I had so many of the TP ones catch fire!), think it will need big pinion most of the time, probably 27 or 28T and fit the allowed 55T spur. As you're not allowed the rear toe in uprights in Stock the rear can be an issue. I always ran softer tyres on the back.

Thanks for the tips. Got a 28t pinion on order and have the 55t spur fitted. I’ve got a selection of tyres so can mix and match. Hope to bump into at Broxtowe, will post a picture up of my iconic shell soon will be a yellow Subaru with a twist. 

On 4/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, Jonnythefox87 said:

Great thread. I'm looking to get back into the hobby, had a few years off but loved racing indoor on carpet when I was younger! Aylesbury isn't far from me either 

Thanks 👍🏻. I’ve enjoyed writing it and hope it inspires more people to take up or get back into racing. 
Take a trip down to Aylesbury and have a look. Unfortunately they aren’t racing a Tamiya class anymore but if your not far from Leighton buzzard they run a club on Tuesday nights that always has a TT01/02 class. 

On 4/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, Andylincs said:

Wow what a journey, inspired me to pull my finger out. Also starting racing myself with a freshly built SRX. 

Thankyou. You will love it! Good luck 👍🏻

Gave my Stock class TT01 a quick run at Carlisle on Sunday, seemed ok with the Core 21, wasn't as slow as I expected down the straight (will feel different at Halifax no doubt). Car seemed to be driving ok having reverted from Super Stock spec so I put it away to avoid faffing with it and 100% making it worse :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, dlruk said:

Gave my Stock class TT01 a quick run at Carlisle on Sunday, seemed ok with the Core 21, wasn't as slow as I expected down the straight (will feel different at Halifax no doubt). Car seemed to be driving ok having reverted from Super Stock spec so I put it away to avoid faffing with it and 100% making it worse :D

That’s good to know. I use the Core 21 in my TT02 that I’ve raced for nearly a year and it’s still going well with the same motor! 
I don’t like to mess around with mine too much either for fear of making it worse! Hoping to be racing at Leighton buzzard Tuesday night and will give my TT01 a run out just to make sure nothing falls off! 
What shocks, shock oil and springs do you use if you don’t mind me asking? Currently I’ve gone the same as my tt02 carpet car but been told I may need to fit stiffer springs on the rear and softer front. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, Scottrc said:

That’s good to know. I use the Core 21 in my TT02 that I’ve raced for nearly a year and it’s still going well with the same motor! 
I don’t like to mess around with mine too much either for fear of making it worse! Hoping to be racing at Leighton buzzard Tuesday night and will give my TT01 a run out just to make sure nothing falls off! 
What shocks, shock oil and springs do you use if you don’t mind me asking? Currently I’ve gone the same as my tt02 carpet car but been told I may need to fit stiffer springs on the rear and softer front. 

Had a look in my emails and I use these https://speedrc.co.uk/yeah-racing-50mm-big-bore-go-damper-set-for-1-10-touring-car-mtc-black/

When I looked online some said use 55mm but 50mm seemed ok for me and I measured them this morning, that is eye to eye. I used Xray TC springs, normally one step stiffer on the back, didn't try the included ones. Oil was ~500 but might go thinner this year. Normally ran softer tyres on the rear as you can't run the toe in rear uprights in Stock

• Thanks 1

Very nice i am also looking to get my tt02 into racing (i never did rc racing).What tires are you using? 

• Like 1