Sign in to follow this  
Nwc100

CC02 advice needed!

After refitting the returned 1080 and upgrading to a shiny Corally servo we finally managed to get some proper miles on the G500, a strong possibility we did hit some way to deep lakes, streams and mud pits but we did have a lot of fun!

On return and clean up it appears we have some issues firstly a bent servo tie rod, I’ve seen Tamiya hop up 54929 stainless tie rod set, is the best option to replace the bent arm, or is something else better available?

8BB95723-0B01-429C-AAD2-9025D150A288.thumb.jpeg.c8011e4d8dd521920d99c72c51fbdba3.jpeg

Second issue is the shocks seem to have lost nearly all rebound both front and rear, I’ve yet to strip them to see what the issue is, previous lot this trip they had been great,  they are just standard shocks, I’m wondering if they got contaminated with grit and water, and causing them to bind, they just don’t seem to be able to push back up to the original height, any advice on upgrades or how to stop this happening again more than welcome!

Regardless me and the little one had great fun with it and now considering another so we can run them together as the just faster than walking pace we have it dialled back to is perfect!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above!

Nick

@Nwc100 If you have a bent tie-rod I guess you either have an extremely power servo or suffered quite the crash! :o

My CC-02 has run on quite a lot of rough ground and so far is holding quite well using the standard steel tie-rod and the plastic steering link (part B5).

The issue you mention on the shocks could grit/junk buy another option could be they lost all their oil and now vacuum holds them from rebound. You can try using balloons to prevent dirt from entering the shocks, something that I've used successfully on rally cars but might get more difficult on longer shocks like the CC-02's.

The one thing I would greatly recommend are skid plates. More info can be found on the initial section of my ongoing project thread:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100089-mf-01x-hornet-beetle-rally-alejos-tamiya-chain-reaction-project-thread/&do=findComment&comment=887368

• Like 1

Did you build your dampers with green slime or something similar? It is meant to help the oil from escaping, not sure how good it is at stopping ingress.

A TRF o-ring upgrade might help too but I don't know which rings would suit.

I had a similar problem with my RC4WD dampers recently bit they are known for being leaky!

Take them apart and see how much oil is left or whether it has emulsified, a service can't do any harm and is fun (well, for me anyway as I like building dampers, a strangely satisfying process).

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, shocks will get a look over on the weekend, I’m guessing they have leaked or are gunked up with mud, we built them completely stock, if it happens again I guess I’ll have to look at some upgrades of some form!

I think the steel rod likely got caught on something and then we tried steering it, it’s got a Corally 20kg varioprop fitted now to replace the BG special, I don’t think it’s from a crash as we have it set for just faster than walking pace, it’s on about 35 -40% running a 33t Tamiya torque tuned and is about right for a 6 yr old to drive, at that speed when he runs into a tree it’s not such a big deal!

The upgrade steering parts will be ordered from Plaza Japan on my next order!

Overall I’m pretty pleased with the CC02 the upgraded tyres, Tamiya rock block are a lot better than the kit ones, and I think I just like the slower pace of life with it generally!

• Like 1