Kol__

Kol's DT-02 - RR Concept

Yeah, beautiful body indeed, nice work @Kol__

So I noticed you kept your windows clear.. are you planning on adding a driver inside?   I'm a bit confused on what to do with my Sand Viper body.. I know I like to have a driver figure inside, but I've seen pictures online of those with buggy drivers (PN 54626) inside the cockpit.. to me they look like they're sitting tucked away inside a warm kotatsu relaxing vs driving a race car as their arms are cut off..  :lol:  

Not sure if I can fit an Avante driver inside..

• Haha 2

Yeah @Willy iine, I'm planning put a driver head of some sort in there, otherwise how will I know where I'm going!?:ph34r:

I would've liked an Avante driver and insert, but looking at how low I've mounted the body shell on the chassis, which was a main focus for this build, I think I might just have enough room to mount a driver head (yes, the head only:lol:) directly onto the battery bay door.

I'm also trying to figure out a way to get some more definition between the black of the shell and the black of the chassis interior that can be seen through the windows. My current thoughts are either pick up some white micro tape and run it round the windows on the outside, like with the body panel shut lines on a road car shell, to define the windows more. Or somehow get some lighter finish to the chassis that can be seen inside through the windows - hence my wish for an Avante driver as I could've painted up the cockpit insert in a lighter colour, such as a grey or something. Not sure what my solution will be yet, but I'm open to suggestions guys:)

I reckon you can prob fit most drivers in the Sand Viper @Willy iine

• Like 2

The final part of the body set, the rear wing. I struggled with this one a little bit. The body shell sits quite low in the chassis and a fair bit lower than the rear shock tower where the wing mounts. The Team Azarashi wing is quite big and so I didn't want it pitching up on the wing mount as it does with the standard DT-02 mount.

4rGNuRd.jpeg

As the shell sits so low and actually slots into the rear shock tower, I had already done away with the rear body mount post. So I decided to do the same with the wing mount as get rid of it. I had a battered Astute wire wing mount, so with some meaty pliers and some patience I reshaped it to fit the narrower mounting points on the DT-02 rear shock tower.

aBnjqZE.jpeg

This now gives me the freedom to tweak both the angle of the wing, by bending the wire, and also how close or far it sits to the rear shock tower by sliding the mount bar back and forth on the wire frame.

The wings were supplied as a pair and tbh the first one I really stripped it down to its bear minimum in an attempt to reduce its height and therefore address some of the imbalance in its relationship to the low height of the body shell. However, it ended up looking a little silly with such a tiny wing. So I cut the second one to a more normal wing like outline.

There were a couple of stickers Japanese words/writing on the Team Azarashi sticker set that I was desperate to get on the car. Given these were in black and a pretty good size for the side of the wings, I decided to do my first polycarbonate masking for applying two different colours, so I could have some white sides to the tops of the wings.

JMm75TY.jpeg

FwR6LRB.jpeg

8Kc52LP.jpeg

Then removed the masking tape and shot it in black

y3Fi7Ri.jpeg

The line wasn't too bad for a first attempt. However, I decided to cut up some red stickers and run it across the join to tie in some more accents of red.

3152Hl8.jpeg

biX45wL.jpeg

And then finally the Japanese words and of course the totally awesome Team Azarashi seal logo:lol:

RU1wfKJ.jpeg

4Lq1KeA.jpeg

• Like 8

The flat area of the wing is now also done. It hasn't come out quite as I'd hoped, but it'll do. The main aim for the wing was to get a few more decals on and with some more angles to juxtapose with the cleaner and more sedate body. I wanted to use the big red arrow sticker across one side at an angle, but I kinda hacked the **** out of that using red pieces of it on other areas already.

This was all I could salvage

dtjKmml.jpeg

Added a white sticker and rounded off some of the corners.

9VBFWtA.jpeg

Applied it with the Team Azarashi stickers, the last 77 sticker I had and another slim red arrow down the other side.

O6We9s0.jpeg

Not quite what I'd envisaged, as I kinda wanted the red arrow shape to be massive and cover the left side of the wing in a really abstract way, but hey ho it's done now.

I noticed I still had access to 2 more tiny red R's so decided to use those together with a couple of stickers from an M-07 Concept sticker set I had picked up a while back.

NqMTeCk.jpeg

8T5Q59u.jpeg

ZKq0jWS.jpeg

Hence the renaming of the thread title.

The car is pretty much complete now, and I've fitted a Hobbywing 1060. However, the diff is making a nasty clicking noise when rotating by hand, so I'm fitting a new set of metal gears. I also have the universals and metal outdrives on their way from PJ.

I'm getting the shock springs powder coated red this week and supplying a small piece of the red stickers I've used on the body and wing to get a good RAL code match.

Once I have the car all back together I'll take some proper shots of the finished article and get them on here:)

• Like 7

Got the springs powder coated to match the red stickers on the body shell and the look is now complete.

lZEwK5N.jpeg

SSCZe1g.jpeg

qu3ZrEI.jpeg

iJkxlaK.jpeg

vMAz3oS.jpeg

fGJJJmB.jpeg

uEJwwZ7.jpeg

VFesUAv.jpeg

lQ1raDD.jpeg

XEYycNP.jpeg

Ha7MIHc.jpeg

4UOxLJZ.jpeg

I still need to replace the gearbox internals. I have the parts for this now, and also the DF-02 UJ's and out drives - assuming they will fit this buggy.

• Like 15

Nice one..... it has a great vibe.  What side gears are you thinking for the diff ?   Will it be splined side gears and splined outdrives ?

I've done this with TA02 side gears and outdrives in a DT02.  I had to remove the thrust washers and not overtighten the diff cover.  Tightening down the diff cover fully locked the diff.  I used 3R ultra-high viscosity gear diff oil to slow things down and kept the cover slightly loose so the diff could still unlock if it had to.

Whatever your using, compare the size and profile of the bevel gears also as a precaution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kol__  Yeah, really nicely done on the Team Azarashi DT02.   

So what car shall we work on next?  I mean my recent DT02 build was inspired by your car..   I'd like to do another RWD buggy.. but not sure what's hip to get.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thommo said:

Nice one..... it has a great vibe.  What side gears are you thinking for the diff ?   Will it be splined side gears and splined outdrives ?

I've done this with TA02 side gears and outdrives in a DT02.

Cheers mate. I'm just going with the standard flat edged (non-spline) side gears and hoping the 53790 (OP790) Cup Joint for Universal Shaft and the 53791 (OP791) DF-02 Universal Shaft Assembly will work in the DT-02. Thinking maybe to use Tamiya AW grease on the diff gears as well this time.

12 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Kol__  Yeah, really nicely done on the Team Azarashi DT02.   

So what car shall we work on next?  I mean my recent DT02 build was inspired by your car..   I'd like to do another RWD buggy.. but not sure what's hip to get.  

Haha, cheers @Willy iine mate. I think I'm going 4wd next, with the DF-02 chassis. There's quite a lot of options out there for that platform so it looks like a good option for tinkering.

On this build, other than the gear box refurb and potential UJ's, I'm toying with the idea of a from spoiler which would fit directly onto the front bulk head. Will see what I come across in the future and possibly add one.

• Like 2

@Kol__ DF02 sounds good.  I have an AeroAvante from way back when.  It's a decent chassis; I think the TT02B drives better out of the box, but I am sure you can sus-tune it to your liking.  :D

IMG_2022-4-8-074317.jpg.cbdee7d08261f7d741c446b45a839aaf.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Kol__ DF02 sounds good.  I have an AeroAvante from way back when.  It's a decent chassis; I think the TT02B drives better out of the box, but I am sure you can sus-tune it to your liking.  :D

IMG_2022-4-8-074317.jpg.cbdee7d08261f7d741c446b45a839aaf.jpg

Nice, I was looking at picking up one of those to acquire a NIB DF-02 chassis. My fav is the Rising Storm, ever since I saw Nordic Visions YouTube vids of his black one when I got back into the hobby last year. I remember hurrying off to Google it and find out what the badword it was!:lol: Now I know a badword of a lot more about it, acquired a couple of used ones from eBay and purchased all the plastics from PJ for peanuts. Plan is to build a shelfer with the new plastics and hardware from one of the chassis and the other with become a runner.

I also have a NIB TT02B Neo Scorcher, for which my build plans and supplies are complete now. It's intended to be my 4wd buggy basher, as new parts so readily available still. Maybe I'll do that one first tbh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Cheers mate. I'm just going with the standard flat edged (non-spline) side gears and hoping the 53790 (OP790) Cup Joint for Universal Shaft and the 53791 (OP791) DF-02 Universal Shaft Assembly will work in the DT-02. Thinking maybe to use Tamiya AW grease on the diff gears as well this time.

Sounds good to me.  I strongly recommend 3 Racing ultra high viscosity gear diff oil.  I think it's the most bang for buck Hop-Up investment out there for Tamiya's unsealed gear diffs.  The right amount really limits the diff and its gloopy enough to not centrifuge out of the diff and make a mess of it.  I've tried AW grease enough in diffs and will not use it ever again.... it's still way too loose and messy for me compared with the gloop.  I've never tried Tamiya diff putty but would love to try that out some day.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I strongly recommend 3 Racing ultra high viscosity gear diff oil.  I think it's the most bang for buck Hop-Up investment out there for Tamiya's unsealed gear diffs.  The right amount really limits the diff and its gloopy enough to not centrifuge out of the diff and make a mess of it.

Thanks mate, I'll give that a go instead then:)

You will never look back !  It works really well on planetary gear diffs too like the Super Astute and OG Avante.  Amazing stuff it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

You will never look back !  It works really well on planetary gear diffs too like the Super Astute and OG Avante.  Amazing stuff it is.

Do you know anywhere I can get that stuff buddy? Seems to be out of stock everywhere:(

• Sad 1

Really nice job mate, I love the contrast between red/black and white. You did a great job with your custom stickers ! Lovely.

I love Dt-02 chassis, robust, easy to maintain and works well on the field. Definitly one of my favorite car to drive.

• Like 2

@Kol__, I decided to go with a TopForce Evo this time.  I just love double deck CF chassis and had to have one.. well, not really but I just told my wife I want one and she bought it for me again.  lol.  She said 'it's not xmas everyday you know?'.  

.. it's not?  :blink:  

:lol:

(she bought me a new Javelin a couple of weeks? months? ago)

• Like 2

Nice one @Willy iine, you lucky chap! The Top Force is an awesome car, I'd like to get my hands on one at some stage... ask your wife to send me one when she's next feeling generous!:ph34r::lol:...

...goes off to wonder if suggestions about interactions with other forum members wives is acceptable behaviour?...

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Nice one @Willy iine, you lucky chap! The Top Force is an awesome car, I'd like to get my hands on one at some stage... ask your wife to send me one when she's next feeling generous!:ph34r::lol:...

...goes off to wonder if suggestions about interactions with other forum members wives is acceptable behaviour?...

Thanks!   Yeah, actually I've been doing a lot of her honey-do's so I think she's just being generous to pay me back.  :D    Unfortunately nothing is free in life.  lol

I plan to run 1251MG and whatever electronics is comes with.  I'm not sure what it comes with, actually.  LOL.  I may have to buy a motor..

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:43 AM, Kol__ said:

SSCZe1g.jpeg

4UOxLJZ.jpeg

This looks awesome. Really well put together and perfectly finished. You got a great sheen on the body and your colour scheme and decal work just finished it perfectly. Totally love it! 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:46 PM, Willy iine said:

Thanks!   Yeah, actually I've been doing a lot of her honey-do's so I think she's just being generous to pay me back.  :D    Unfortunately nothing is free in life.  lol

I plan to run 1251MG and whatever electronics is comes with.  I'm not sure what it comes with, actually.  LOL.  I may have to buy a motor..

I really like the TFE. The carbon is the bit that "made" me go overboard on the Madcap ;). The motor it comes with is a regular silver can, which pretty much requires you to upgrade...

Comes with the now default TBLE-04S esc, so at least some level of brushless should work (maybe down to 13.5T).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

I really like the TFE. The carbon is the bit that "made" me go overboard on the Madcap ;). The motor it comes with is a regular silver can, which pretty much requires you to upgrade...

Comes with the now default TBLE-04S esc, so at least some level of brushless should work (maybe down to 13.5T).

Thanks, I ended up running a SuperStockBZ, 1060, and my usual 1251MG.  :D   Same electronics in my Egress so that it would be easier to compare the two back to back.   

• Like 1