Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

Set Fazers to fun!

Behold, my next project, which will probably bump the Lancia out of line. (I'm procrastinating on that body, because I'm scared of the stickers.) Kyosho Fazer Mk2 chassis, 1060 ESC, S3003 knockoff servo, Dynamite 20 turn motor, APlastics Datsun 510 wagon body shell... and Yeah Racing drift tires. Time for a little sideways driveway fun.

IMG_20220311_172317710.jpg

Updates as it progresses... might be a while. Workshop time has been hard to find recently.

• Like 4

Progress being made... Chassis is done and running. The Fazer is a really simple kit to build, and the hardware and parts fit and finish is pretty good. There was a little flashing on some of the plastic parts, and one or two confusing elements in the instructions, but overall a really nice kit, especially for the price. Has some goodies that you pay extra for in a TT02: full bearings (including HUGE 12x18mm hub bearings), nice oil-filled shocks, an aluminum drive shaft, and front CVDs, all standard. All the bevel gears, the ring & pinion and the internal diff gears, are die-cast metal (probably that same zinc-aluminum alloy that Hot Wheels are made of), and it all spins smoothly. I loaded up the rear diff with Tamiya AW grease to slow it way down, but left the front diff lightly greased. The diffs are supposedly sealed so they can be fliud-filled, but I hate messing around with that.

One bummer is the plastic pinion gear; I didn't even use it, since I had a 48 pitch 29 tooth pinion handly (stock is 32 tooth). Diff outdrives and rear dogbones are also plastic, but they seem pretty stout. We'll see how they hold up.

My cheapo 4-for-$20 knockoff Futaba S3003 servo ate itself after I installed it, so I had to take everything back apart and swap it for an old but dead-reliable Airtronics 94631. But here it is, all set up and ready to rock:

IMG_20220312_165616493.jpg

The APlastics body I'm less thrilled with. The thickness varies wildly: super thick in front, but almost paper-thin in the rear valence area. And trimming it has been a real pain so far. And the decal quality looks terrible. But I do think it will look cool when it's done:

IMG_20220312_172410587.jpg

It's just sitting on the tires here, so the final ride height will need to be a few mm higher for some clearance. But I like the overall look and stance so far. Time to add the body posts and poke some holes.

• Like 2