Rag-top

What’s my blinged up Brat worth?

Hello,

I’m trying to trim my collection of cars down due to a storage problem. I had about 12, I’m now at 9 plus some bits! What to sell next is difficult. 

I have a shelf queen Brat that’s only been bench run. I wanted one as a kid but couldn’t afford it, so as an adult decided to build the best Brat I could. I bought the chrome version from Gumtree about 15 years ago for £120 as I liked the chrome chassis, which sat in a box unused for years. Eventually I sold the chrome and lexan bodies and bought a new hard body shell which I had professionally painted with Indian flames 🔥 for about £90. I bought some alloy wheels on eBay for £60 ish and some new tyres. It’s also had a new ESC, new sport tuned motor and new 2 channel stick radio gear which I forgot to photograph, but I can add photos. There’s a couple of hop up parts and bearings probably.

I think that totals about £400! It was finished over 5 years ago and has just sat on a shelf since. See the attached pics which I think look great. I guess I’m  interested what people think it’s worth. It might appear on the bay soon. Any offers welcome. Thanks 

57EFB446-2D89-4241-843A-3E141CED7D80.jpeg

D3F586FA-3974-4F8F-9970-069054782351.jpeg

Very nice . It is worth what someone is willing to pay , sounds harsh , but that's how it goes . If you get the right buyer , it could make good money . It is presented well , nice finsh , great wheels and the special chrome chassis frame . Adding the driver might add more money ?

• Like 2

OP - It looks very clean.  I don't know, as @KEV THE REV mentioned, especially non-box art cars are difficult to gauge. 

But I would say start with $350 on auction, or $600 and offer a 'or best offer' option?     Completely up to you.

• Like 1

Very nice Brat!

I’d guesstimate a value of £200 - £250.

Anything north of that is a bonus, it’s a lovely bit of kit with the paint, wheels and chassis. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice. I don’t want to sell it really, but I need to clear some space and it’s a shame it’s just sitting in a shelf, these things were built to run. 
I’ll put it on eBay soon and see what interest it gets. I’ve also got an F350 and a Blazing Blazer sitting on shelves unused! I’m just too busy for the hobby these days. The Brat was fun to build but it’s time for it to find a new home where it doesn’t just gather dust.

• Like 1

The Blazers are gong for decent money at the moment- typically £1000-£1800 condition dependant 💥

9 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The Blazers are gong for decent money at the moment- typically £1000-£1800 condition dependant 💥

I thought they were going for about £150🧐 that’s a shame

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I thought they were going for about £150🧐 that’s a shame

Well it is your birthday next Saturday 😉

On 3/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, DaveBuildsRC said:

I dont know were not antique roadshow but lets say 200-300.

Where do you live? That sounds really cheap and not real.

If its the US, it would be advertised for $500 (because all Tamiyas are "rare" and "collectable" in the US but actually appear to be worth nothing to the buying public who generally want Axial or Traxxas stuff) on C-list or Facebook and then sit there for 8 months while people offered you $50 for it or trades involving video game consoles, rowboats with holes in the bottom, broken TVs etc. Sorry, its a beautiful Brat but selling Tamiya RC in the States is about as fun as slamming my hand in a car door.

As much as I hate to admit it, as a US resident, Saito is right.  Its hard to buy and sell Tamiya stuff out here sometimes.  It usually takes me some time to sell, but often out of the blue, I'll get a full asking price offer where the buyer actually follows through. 

I listed a bunch of touring and rally bodies two years ago on ebay after I couldnt even get an offer locally and got some really good (high) prices for them, but all of the buyers were in Europe or Australia and they even paid the high EBay international shipping option.

Buying here is difficult to, for the reasons Saito said but sometimes you get lucky.  Early in the pandemic, i picked up a NIB M01 Monte Carlo Mini Cooper with NIB period correct Airtronics radio and Novak ESC for $120!

Sorry to be so bitter. Case in point though, my local FB has a Grasshopper roller for $125, a NIB re-re Blackfoot for $300, and a used Blackfoot Xtreme for $259(!) Meanwhile, I'm asking $45 of a Grasshopper 2 roller and a guy ask if I can come down to $20. 

• Sad 1

Thanks for the further advice. I live in Surrey in the UK. I’m going to put the Brat on eBay once I’ve packed it carefully. The Blazer is going to stay, for now.

Thanks 🚗 

• Like 2