nginsb

Fighting Buggy 2014 Build

I've been very much looking forward to building the Fighting Buggy Re-re, in fact this buggy was on my wish list for years after missing out on the first production run. I managed to pick one up more recently and its been sitting on the shelf waiting for the right time to build. Well, I've released there never really is a right time, life will always get in the way, and time must be made for such enjoyments. So here goes, finally, the Fighting Buggy build. I plan to do as spec, no hop-ups and likely will follow box art. This will take me a while, will post progress here for anyone interested.

Boxpic.thumb.jpg.45e8f9d40b5749c551ebae79c7079d20.jpg

FBinside.thumb.jpg.413eabd06ade81fe5037191983f447f7.jpg

• Like 11

Looking forward to this build. I really like these buggies. If they were slightly better runners I'd certainly have one.

• Thanks 1

Thread lock every screw that goes into metal! When I built mine, I strictly followed the manual. The first light run resulted in the set screws that held the front suspension arms on all loosening up, even though plenty of torque was applied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hobbimaster said:

Thread lock every screw that goes into metal! When I built mine, I strictly followed the manual. The first light run resulted in the set screws that held the front suspension arms on all loosening up, even though plenty of torque was applied.

You strictly following the manual and things started falling apart does not sound good!!  :blink:

Good luck with the build, @nginsb!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, @Hobbimaster I'll be sure to follow this sound advice - especially  since this one is going to be a runner and not just sit on the shelf. Pics to follow..

• Like 1

+1 for @Hobbimaster’s advice. I did that to mine, and after a few runs everything is still in tact 👍🏻

It’s a beauty when it’s done 😉 Happy building mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep I'd go with that advice thread lock every metal to metal screw and if you are going to run it get a spare body (just the plastic part) because I can assure you the first roll (and they are very good at rolling over) will destroy the body! It's a heavy chassis for them thin roof bars to cope with!

20190828_091426.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Such a classy buggy.   The first time I saw one (long ago), I was sure its worth $1000 because of all the metal parts.

Off to a bit of a slow start, but more than happy to be taking my time with this one.

Rear-end is taking shape, using plenty of thread lock wherever needed (thanks for all the advice!), in fact this is the first kit that I have built that included a small amount of Tamiya gel thread lock with the kit. I usually use loctite so will have to see how this stuff stacks up.

Thoroughly enjoying the build and quality of the metal parts. I chose to go with the larger 20T pinion, and can switch it for the smaller 15T once I know how it runs and what kind of terrain I might run it on.

Couple of pics, more to come.

FB1.thumb.jpg.128c812955e866de6fea05ba723188c4.jpgFB2.thumb.jpg.28bb480bf54f4f0460bb45922bab72a7.jpgFB3.thumb.jpg.019d03298d8993b398e03daf7f6c214e.jpgFB4.thumb.jpg.c993243e579bce4a3b8358d52091c88c.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, moffman said:

Yep I'd go with that advice thread lock every metal to metal screw and if you are going to run it get a spare body (just the plastic part) because I can assure you the first roll (and they are very good at rolling over) will destroy the body! It's a heavy chassis for them thin roof bars to cope with!

20190828_091426.jpg

Absolutely brilliant looking buggy, @moffman looks like you managed to find an original decal sheet for this one?

8 hours ago, nginsb said:

Absolutely brilliant looking buggy, @moffman looks like you managed to find an original decal sheet for this one?

Thanks very much its very  appreciated! Not quite a full set of decals I had an old half set (left overs really) from back in the original days which consisted of the bf Goodrich and a few original champion plugs etc so it a bit of mix and match! 

A little further with the build, managed to complete the rear damper system and front axles. I think one of the things that has always drawn me to this buggy is the unusual reserve tank system they have gone with - I can't say I've seen this implemented anywhere else and it just looks brilliant. Was a royal pain to get right with no air bubbles in the tube but with some perseverance (a little swearing and a lot of shock oil), I managed to get it free of air. Quite certain that after the first couple of bumps on the trail, air will creep in, since the reserve tank isn't all that full.

The front axle and damper assembly is also a marvel, unique to anything I have built before and just top quality components. Great fun putting this together. Looks like steering end-points will be important to set on this model to keep the front wheels reasonably in sync.

Moving on to installing the electronics tomorrow, will post a pic of the finished chassis once everything is installed.FB5.thumb.jpg.2e131e43a5fd5adc897e1d046bbea0d3.jpgFB6.thumb.jpg.1a9c387af560aed4cc39a37e3606a8ab.jpgFB7.thumb.jpg.9031f2efc6df470354f0922a12034e91.jpg

• Like 5

Big delay waiting on a few radio bits and pieces but the chassis build is finally complete and all electronics are in. Steering end-points are set and have done a basic test run around the house. Seems to run well, this is quite a weighty vehicle, may have to tighten up the rear spring or looks like it will bottom out easily.

I've given the body shell a quick sand and will do a few coats of primer spray before the final colour. Still not certain if doing box-art TS-15 or something different...

Has been a really enjoyable build, looking forward to adding to my collection (which is growing ever so slowly!)

FB8.thumb.jpg.bf47fa15f596f68c899aaa2280d2aecb.jpgFB9.thumb.jpg.6ce50256e48066f48f9295e885b09949.jpgFB10.thumb.jpg.f8ba3114ffbd5d6267e20553461929d3.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Hobbimaster said:

The original came with cable ties for the front arms to stop them coming off, I wonder if the rere suffers the same issues ?

Finally got round to finishing the Fighting Buggy build - and about time! Was a really enjoyable build and very pleased with the outcome - I generally stuck to box-art with some modification to the roll cage (went silver rather than red) and used a slightly deeper blue for the body colour. Yet to take it out for a spin which I will do in the coming days, still enjoying just looking at it on the shelf (!). Couple of pics below for those interested.

I'm contemplating my next build, which I hope will be the Wild One Blockhead Motors edition...if I can get hold of one.

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 6

Nice tidy job 👍🏻  I’ve got one of these, very tempted to get another 😁

• Thanks 1

I love the accents you made to the original colour scheme.   The old models have lasting qualities that justify the purchase cost.

• Thanks 1