jonnas42

Hotshot mk1 restoration rebuild

Thought I would share some pictures of a mk1 I acquired recently.

Here it is as I bought it.

150716C7-9B86-4794-8A84-BBF9E88497FA.jpeg

4BF3BB53-D4CB-424D-817C-6535D8DFDCB1.jpeg

A507600F-ECF2-4CA2-AE73-7F8398D9C5BB.jpeg

• Like 4

Stripped it completely, gave all the plastics the dishwasher treatment ( Mrs was out)

Then started the rebuild, slowly.

I’ve done about 70% in about 2 weeks, I’ll post some pictures of it up to now shortly.

@jonnas42 Awesome!  Good luck with your HotShot!   I took the easy route and got a rere about 2 weeks ago, did a few mods on it (1251MG, high torque servo saver, front damper travel limiter hack) and gold wheels.  

I had the original back in the day and it was total domination of my neighborhood RC world. :D  It was so fast.  

You can find pictures of mine in the General section under the ‘photo’s only, no words’ thread if interested.   Did not want to side track your thread here.   

GL with your restoration!!

Nice @jonnas42 i have fond memories of the hotshot as my brother had one that became a supershot. Used to love it as a kid. I picked-up a rere shelf Queen before Christmas dirt cheap and I’m going to rebuild it and use it as my go-to 4WD runner. I have been picking up various parts including gold wheels, metal bumper, new pinion and even managed to find a suspension set…

Hotshot 1

Great to see interest from you both, that’s a nice re re you have there, the Supershot suspension conversion kits looks cool.

I may end up looking for a re re at some point to run.

Fond memories of the HS for me too, bought one when I was 17 in 1985 from Beatties model shop. Painted it black with JPS livery (big Senna fan)

Wonder where it is now 🥴

Here’s where I’m at so far.

Changed the wheels, the tyres were perished and the gold wheels were flaking.

The upper rear suspension wish bones were broken where the shock attaches, decided to superglue them back on, keeps it original, and cheaper than buying new. It’s only going on the shelf so should be ok.

The front gearbox hinge pivots are worn, so there is a fair bit of play in the front suspension, but again for display purposes it’s fine. 
One of the lugs on the gearbox that holds the aluminium hex block in place is partially broken, but in a  strange way I like it because it shows off the side of the Ali bumper stay showing it’s an original mk1.

next up, fit the electrics.

0E588EDF-235A-486C-BCCC-3B45B866232C.jpeg

• Like 2

@jonnas42 What kind of power are you planning to outfit it with?  I just run a SportTuned on mine.  Since I drive my cars mostly indoors on my current make shift track, it is plenty fast for casual driving.  :D

I’ve fitted just a stock mabuchi 540 motor.

don’t think this one will even venture the living room though 😂🤣

21 minutes ago, jonnas42 said:

I’ve fitted just a stock mabuchi 540 motor.

don’t think this one will even venture the living room though 😂🤣

:lol:  I see.   Nothing wrong with shelf queens!   

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

:lol:  I see.   Nothing wrong with shelf queens!   

Going soft in my old age 😂🤣

• Haha 1

Love a HS thread. Its what got me back into the hobby. I got my original from P&S models in Scarborough August 1985. Wish I still had it but at least have an ReRe now.

11 hours ago, jonnas42 said:

Great to see interest from you both, that’s a nice re re you have there, the Supershot suspension conversion kits looks cool.

I may end up looking for a re re at some point to run.

Fond memories of the HS for me too, bought one when I was 17 in 1985 from Beatties model shop. Painted it black with JPS livery (big Senna fan)

Wonder where it is now 🥴

Looking really good so far. 
It’s amazing how many of us can trace our love of a Tamiya back to frequent trips to Beatties. I think me and my brothers used to go every week for a while!

I’m a few thousand miles away from ‘home’ now but funnily enough someone locally is selling a load of Beatties stuff 😆

Mine will be a runner given parts are pretty easy to replace. I’m thinking 13.5T brushless but might even try 10T. 

Without going out on a tangent with this topic, used to love Beatties, I remember the shop built kits around the shop, the Tamiya video playing, and seeing the huge 1/12 Big Scale static kits on the top shelf that ran all round the shop. 
I bought the Martini Porsche 935 Big Scale static kit when I was 17, the box was huge.

I thought I was was the bee’s knee’s carrying it home on the bus.

That was 1985, I still have it now.

102BFA5A-4B06-4DE9-8405-DFCC0CD4B5AD.jpeg

• Like 5

Any excuse to post a pic of my ReRe HS and genuine vintage Beatties bag!

20210920_164850.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, love the white body and wing, goes really well with the wheels.

is it a runner, or does it live on the shelf?

• Like 1