Sign in to follow this  
grip-wolrd

Super Touring FF-03 Build - Back to RC

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum but I've been reading for a while, so please delete if such a thread if it doesn't meet rules.

There's a common trend "in my 30s and back into RC" and that's exactly where I'm at; did lots of nitro 1/8 buggy as a kid and then gave it up for bigger things and now I'm back to relive the nostalgia!!

A month ago I bought a Kyosho Ultima 2WD, then a Tamiya Grasshopper and now a Tamiya FF-03 (I like 2WD), and I've decided to document this build process a little because the blogging aspect of it interest me. I've got a lot of video, and some pictures, but the build video will come at the end when it's all complete.

The kits is a basic FF-03 kit with the CR-Z body, as that's all I could find; FFs are hard to come by, at least in Switzerland.

CR-Z body was sold immediately and I got a repro Honda Accord JTCC body, as I'd like to make a super touring JTCC style FF car, and instead of the standard Gathers or Castrol colors I've decided to make a unique creation that is still period correct; a JGTC Raybrig liveried JTCC incarnation. Raybrig didn't had a title sponsor in JTCC as far as I can tell at the time, and definitely not with Honda, so this will be an NSX Raybrig inspired livery reproduced on a Honda Accord.

The basic FF-03 has a few short comings that I've learnt from this forum, so I got a couple of upgrades beforehand.

I started out with the MUST haves, and left the SHOULD have once I drive the car and learn it; I've never driven a street RC car before so have lots to learn:

- Replaced the plastic out drives with Yeah Racing Aluminium Ball Diff Kit

- Upgraded the drive-shafts with Tamiya 44mm Double Cardan Joint Drive-Shafts

- Got the Tamiya CNC Motor Mount for improved cooling.

- Aluminium Hex Drives (in various thicknesses).

- I also decided to replace the steering mechanism with the 3Racing Aluminium Steering Kit.

- The Aluminium spur gear mount was impossible to found to I decided to machine my own out of Alu stock; it fits perfectly and it's very stiff!

A few photos:

IpvDx8N.jpg

tsutGhO.jpg

Green RAYS TE37s from the NSX kit were also impossible to find, so I've got these green Speedline 6 spoke wheels from the 190E kit in 26mm.

huipU5Q.jpg

hPJbY1f.jpg

First observations after putting the kit together in running form:

- The rear shocks seem almost too short; they are funny extended and the ride height is very low. I don't know if this is how it should be but I might move the upper joint outboard by one hole.

- The front upright mounts are touching the A-arms, which means I cannot add any negative camber (shorten the upper links); is this normal or have I done something wrong?

- The 3Racing steering links are rubbish; there are basically no flats on the hexes so you can't adjust them when mounted. Terrible part.

more to come...

• Like 2

Nice to have you here and a great intro.

You can use 'The Builds' to document detailed builds like your FF03, it is a nice place to store your build logs together (if you like that idea).

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Nice to have you here and a great intro.

You can use 'The Builds' to document detailed builds like your FF03, it is a nice place to store your build logs together (if you like that idea).

That is a much better place; not sure how i didnt see it before. I will repost in that forum and let this one die.