grip-wolrd

Super Touring FF-03 Build - Back to RC

Very pretty Chassis and body... isnt it absolutely ridiculous that the ps colors are illegal in CH ? Thats typical modern regulations isnt it ? 

Very pretty Chassis and body... isnt it absolutely ridiculous that the ps colors are illegal in CH ? Thats typical modern regulations isnt it ? 

• Like 1

Finally got some parts in and was able to mount the new brushless setup.

To fit the motor I needed an adapter plate or the terminals of the Justock 17.5t motor wouldn't fit between the brace and the chassis, and I also got the new gears with the longer final drive ratio.

Lv74VyP.jpg

Obviously the larger pinion gear doesn't fit over the original motor bolts so I had to find some lower profile countersunk bolts; ignore that I didn't have the same screws or washers :wacko:

With the adapter plate now I have to mount the pinion gear flipped, with the set screw on the inside; not sure if people are managing to mount it the other way but the output shaft from the motor just isn't long enough.

It should be all ready to test out again now and I think I've got a lot of setting up to do.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Interesting thread and great pictures. B)

Any updates?

Haven't driven it in a while due to being busy at work, but it's ready to run now with the 17t stock brushless setup! Hopefully I'll get some time one weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grip-wolrd said:

Haven't driven it in a while due to being busy at work, but it's ready to run now with the 17t stock brushless setup! Hopefully I'll get some time one weekend.

I guess we have to work hard to pay the bills but all work and no play is never good. ;) 
Look forward to hearing how you get on in due course. 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, GMballistic said:

I guess we have to work hard to pay the bills but all work and no play is never good. ;) 
Look forward to hearing how you get on in due course. 

Managed to finally head to the track again; only the second time this year unfortunately.

The main changes I had on the FF03, as where described above:

• Switched from stock ratio (6.80) to longer ratio (4.58).
  • New 3Racing big-bore shocks.
  • Spec 17.5t Hobbywing Justock setup.
  • Matrix MX-EPA036 tires.

The gear ratio combined with the new 17.5t Justock is decent, but I need an even longer ratio for this larger outdoor track. The acceleration is not bad, but I hit top speed like 10% down the back straight.

I can't tell much difference with the shocks, but I did make some alignment changes to even out the tire wear, and also increased the front damping (down from a 4-hole piston to a 2-hole with 400wt) to make it more stable and seemed to work really well.

I tightened up the front ball-diff and seemed to improve traction.

The tires obviously made a huge difference compared to the stock Tamiya tires, and also lasted longer as they were obviously not slipping as much.

Next steps:

• Control the body-roll with stabilizers; if I clip the curb on the inside it can cause the car to flip. I tried widening the car a bit and also lowering it, but I think I need to control the roll.
  • Lower the ratio even more!

I6uavHB.jpg

nfZoj12.jpg

LmdpIPp.jpg

• Like 9

Does anyone know if there are other Stabilizers from other kits that will fit the FF-03?

I'm having a hard time finding an FF-03 set.

Howdy! Just found your thread. What adapter plate did you end up using so you could use a brushless motor on yours?
I ran into the same problem when I built mine December 2020. Ended up doing some wonky soldering to get it to fit.
Ended up just getting a 21.5t brushless Tamiya motor where the plugs come out the side of the motor can.