Alexei

battery connectors

i need some connectors for some RC cars but im not sure which to go for. im thinking either XT60 or deans is what i should get. it is for 2S LiPo to be used in onroad cars and a crawler, and i want to use one connector type for all.

so, does it even matter? would both work?

would offroading mean something? im not planning to go wild and submerge it, but i want it to at least have some resistance against water.

I prefer XT60s to Deans. Easier to solder and easier to connect. Lots of chargers have XT60 connections built in. Only downside is that they are slightly larger than Deans 

• Like 1

I run Deans on my performance oriented cars, Tamiya connector for all others.  

• Like 2

Pick a few of each up and try them out to see which one you like most. There are tons of flame war about which one is the best but you are the one using it. You sound like you are already able to solder so changing them when you decide on which one you like should not be a problem. 

FWIW, I’m new to soldering and I’ve had good success with XT60s. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Pick a few of each up and try them out to see which one you like most. There are tons of flame war about which one is the best but you are the one using it. You sound like you are already able to solder so changing them when you decide on which one you like should not be a problem. 

i have some adapter cables for my charger that uses both XT60 and deans. i like the XT60 the best there. was just wondering if there is other things to consider when using in the RC cars, and with offroad vs onroad. i have seen a bunch of people use the XT60 on crawlers, so maybe there is a reason to that.

It seems to be personal preference more than anything. I've been using Deans for 25 years now, so I see no reason to change. But either one are better conductors than regular Tamiya/JST plugs.

• Like 1

I agree, it's just personal preference.  For me, Deans are too small for my dimming eyes and fumbling fingers (there are caps that help with that).  Even with XT60, I use a red sharpie to paint the positive side red to make it easy to see.  

6Y3SiqG.jpg

• Like 2

XT60’s for me. Good solid connection and never had a meltdown etc…

• Like 1

While both Deans and XT60 would work fine (to answer the OP's original question), XT60s are probably going to be better than the Deans in all aspects except connector size.

Speaking as a person who has Deans connectors on all my cars.

• Like 1

My entire fleet, at least the ones that use connectors, is setup with Dean's. While the XT60 is a superior connector, it's physical size was the deciding factor. A Dean's can fit almost anywhere, and the Amass-manufactured ones with the caps are of superb quality. Amass is the OEM for XT connectors.

XT connectors seem to be becoming a global standard, with many chargers, speed controls, and batteries coming with XT60 preinstalled. They're excellent connectors for 1/10 applications, I just wish that they were smaller.

• Like 1

ok, i think i got an better idea now of what to get. i don think space is a problem for the most of my cars.

• Like 1

They are both rated to 60amps, so shouldn't be any different in 'performance'.

I went with deans, as there's plenty more stick lipos to choose from in the UK ,with Dean connections (isn't actually that much hassle to swap over, I've swapped a few to deans from XT60's , that have come across the pond from Hobbyking).

• Like 1