SuperChamp82

The Empire Strikes Back - Tamiya vs Lego

Has anyone else started their kids in Tamiya - only to find the little ******s then lead you astray ?

I managed to gently swerve Lego with my eldest - largely because it was short lived and steadfastly anchored in Scooby Doo …

My youngest is both keener with her Tamiya - and loves Lego !

Every Lego kit is built with care - then lit with stuff that simply didn’t exist when I squinted at a 1976 angular horror … and convinced myself it was a beautifully rounded Porsche 934 I’d just watched with Dad 😂

Anyway, am I alone in having interest in building / collecting migrate ? 

I’d never really looked or considered Lego until now - but it’s gradually having a similar legacy appeal 🤔

All thoughts obviously v welcome 👍

SC

• Like 4

Whenever I was off Tamiya, I was onto Lego :P It seems this is a phenomenon!

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Speed Champions sets but pick and choose the ones that I think work the best. The F40, for example, I love and I recently bought the Koenigsegg Jesko which I think they have done a good job on. I won't buy the new Lotus. 

I bought a load 'for my son' but they haven't grabbed his attention as much as other sets so they are in the loft.

He does like the Creator 3 in 1s. We're currently rebuilding a shark as an angler fish. We have bought bigger ones as 'holiday projects', the castle and the roller coaster (not the massive one!). 

I also got my old Technics back from my folks for him so he built the Test Car and Backhoe Loader with minimal assistance (he's seven).

DSC_0191.jpg

3D7BE787-AA94-4939-BCAA-CF7B4F341D71.jpg

• Like 7

My daughter briefly liked Lego Friends and Lego Elves but then lost interest until she discovered the Creator modulars, which I may have helped her fall in love with ;)

They are expensive though so she only gets 1-2 a year. This is with the Diner still in progress. I've also got the new Police Station and the original Parisien Restaurant stored away as future gifts for her. 

Lego

My son fell in love with all Lego but particularly Harry Potter and then Star Wars. He's had lots of operations and hospital visits so he's received LOTS from family and friends. He lived and breathed Lego right up until last Christmas when he suddenly decided he was bored of Lego and now we can't convince him to even look at new sets. But this is most of his collection:

Lego

Lego

We've also got some lego the whole family 'own' which is a load of Christmas sets that come back out when the tree goes up!

Oh, and if anyone is looking for recommendations I have to say the the Pirate ship is a brilliant build. Highly recommended!

The new BTTF 3-in-1 set looks awesome too and I might just be honest for once and buy it for myself! Or do I need three sets so I can build all the versions? ;)

lego-announces-their-newest-3-in-1-back-to-the-future-delorean-includes-doc-and-marty_5.thumb.jpg.e9806c784f7ee76f859d603b0930af85.jpg

• Like 10

Mrs Thommo decided to refresh our teenager's bedroom and they decided to remove all of the Star Wars Lego into my shed and straight onto my work station.  Bad for my Tamiya but good for me..... there would be thousands $$$ worth of classic 2010 -  2020 built sets here including some double ups.  Also a box of with approx 100 Star Wars mini figures.

I'll post up a photo when I get it sorted and off of my desk and might even consider selling a few sets !   I still have the box (flattened) and the instructions for every set. 

• Like 1

I never really got into Lego. All my mates had it as a kid and I played with their stuff a little but never had any interest to buy or acquire my own. My soon to be 5yo son is into it, he has a few kits and a Lego table but he destroys everything. He got a Batman Truck for Xmas and it took me 4 hours to build, but he had it all in bits in 5 minutes 🙁 

I have just had to package up a built Lego set up for a friend going back to the USA, got to say I was a little intrigued. Showed the photo to my kids and we watched it on YouTube but they couldn't understand why I didn't bring it home and it wasn't there for them to play with. 😄

It's certainly interesting stuff! But not enough for me to buy my own, not when I can have another Tamiya in the stable 😁

ReLlzmD.jpeg

• Like 2

We’ve got you’re a range of Lego in our house, mine is mostly Technic from the last 5 years and my son prefers sets he can build me play with,so anything from the city range is popular with him police,ambulance & fire trucks that kind of thing. He also has some Harry Potter kits but doesn’t play with them, he’s not a fan!

we built the ISS over Christmas which I really like and having seen the new space shuttle and Hubble I’m massively tempted by that, if I can hold off until maybe it gets a sale price I’ll take a closer look.

I somehow forgot our largest set - The Death Star!

We bought it on sale a few years back and the box sat in the spare room. My son used to lie on the bed and just stare at it. And ask many questions. Then he was old enough to watch (edited versions)of the films so back in the summer he built it over a period of weeks. A fantastic build sullied by some missing bags. Lego rectified the problem but it took the shine off the build as we couldn't finish until they arrived.

@GeeWings the DeLorean looks great but are you going to wait for the rumoured 90th birthday castle?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I somehow forgot our largest set - The Death Star!

We bought it on sale a few years back and the box sat in the spare room. My son used to lie on the bed and just stare at it. And ask many questions. Then he was old enough to watch (edited versions)of the films so back in the summer he built it over a period of weeks. A fantastic build sullied by some missing bags. Lego rectified the problem but it took the shine off the build as we couldn't finish until they arrived.

@GeeWings the DeLorean looks great but are you going to wait for the rumoured 90th birthday castle?

I’ve never purchased a set for myself, except I probably persuaded my daughter to fall in love with the Modulars ;)

While the castle sounds fun I don’t think I would purchase it for myself. The Delorean though I could see myself building and displaying, like lots of the vehicles actually. Not sure I actually will though, I’ve already got so many RC projects stacked up waiting for some free time! 

• Like 1

Well I’m glad it’s not just me 👍

Starting the two Apollo 11 kits with my youngest tomorrow - whilst watching Apollo 13 on TV !

Small - but now growing - Lego collection below.

PS Her first solo RC build was a Tamiya ‘First Try’ TT02 - which she insisted had an Aston Martin silver Vantage shell after loving recent Bond movies

If I can just convince the dog - her Mother and sister are now outnumbered letting me buy the real thing 😇

A6557CAC-6864-430E-9325-2A7692568AB8.jpeg

E0E54821-EAED-449C-A37A-EE2CC88134F6.jpeg

9E4E128A-7826-4B3F-85FD-FA272F1FE3AD.jpeg

53216F82-AA4D-4A7F-95CA-D14491D1A456.jpeg

0E75C0C6-4DDC-45BD-AEEB-5DA509D39CD9.jpeg

• Like 4

I use to build Lego quite often, but haven't done any in the last 4-5 years.

I think some may have seen them in the background...  I mostly only build the Technics series, but lately that vintage typewriter has been really appealing to me for some reason.  I am not sure why. :lol:

IMG_May252021at84156AM.jpg.a85bacfbb68ee5ba55ea15f633365704.jpg

• Like 1

I dare not post pictures, but I am a sucker for the Lego Architecture and Ferrari kits. My son has 2 x 35 gallon Rubbermaid tubs filled with Lego inherited from his big sister. We have no qualms about dumping them all over the floor to spend hours building.

• Like 2

20220320_074918 20220320_074939 20220320_075031

I was buying a lot of Star Wars Lego when I had money to burn from working at the restoration shop (though it was eating my soul). Legos were a great way to unwind.

20220320_075109

That old Expert Builder tractor was a childhood dream come true. I had the old Expert mini catalog as a kid and constantly read over it but my folks forbade me from getting any as they felt they would be above my skill level (little did they know, lol). I even considered trying to assemble it from random bricks by studying the pictures. Finding this one NIB on Ebay was awesome.

20220320_111532

My wife and I's Christmas present to each other this year was the Lego Titanic. We work on it together every Sunday morning. We were planning a scratch-build just before Lego produced it. Using it a study, I hope to scratch build my own favorite lost ship, the Edmund Fitzgerald.

• Like 5

I built both of these trucks for our local exhibition in 2018. Both have an EV3 mindstorms unit for RC and line following ability. Both tractor units are the same, I based them loosely on Scania trucks. They've sat in the loft for a while now though.

7v0XzYH.jpg

j4cVscx.jpg

dxcAsVp.jpg

Edited by ad456
I can't get pics right first time apparently
  • Like 5

Great thread! You all have some impressive builds and lots of cool new sets here! I see a classic Technic set up there but does anyone have any of the old Space or Town sets? Need to go digging in my parents house for my old stuff one of these days. Mostly smaller 90s sets but I kept all the boxes!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

but does anyone have any of the old Space or Town sets?

I have a good bit of both from the very early 80's. Like you, I have to go digging at my parents house. Hopefully the manuals are available online as my parents took all the separate, original boxed sets I had and dumped them all into one bin and then threw out the original boxes and manuals. Once my wife and I finish the Titanic and rehab the rec room, I'll bring 'em over and we can go through them. I know I'm missing a small red grooved brick (for the Lego Fire Station garage door) because I inadvertently swallowed it as a youngster. lol.   

• Haha 2