27 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Mine was scheduled today, but looks like its coming tomorrow now.  Looks like they changed the packaging from the original.  Guess that means we definitley got the V2 trucks, good news.  

What is different on the V2 trucks? Axles?

Just axle housings as far as I know.  Pretty much all trucks after the initial run should have the V2 housings.  Not too big of a deal since I actually find the originals to be fine and replacements are cheap, but nice to have I guess.  

Super bummed I missed this sale... none of my LHS's would honor the pricing, and the only online shop near here with the sale price was sold out.  :(

Really excited about seeing mine now.  I've never seen one up close.  Part of me is regretting not getting the RTR - it'll be a while before I have time to put a body on it, and I've no idea what power system to fit.  I probably don't have anything that will work right away.  The stock system has a real odd motor size - does a conventional 540 fit or is it recommended to go with a bigger 1:8 system?  I don't want to run more than 3S.  Then there's the added cost of servos, etc - in the long run the RTR would probably have been cheaper.

Still, I'm sure it'll be a great addition to the fleet.  No idea how long it will take to ship here or how long it'll stay in customs before they send me the ransom demand.  VAT should be around £50 if they calculate it correctly and the chancellor doesn't change all the tax rates this week, but no doubt the shipper will add their ransom figure on top of that.

I'll have to see how March's funds finish up after the weekend to see if I can afford a body in April, at least then it won't be another bare truck on the shelf.

Hey @Mad Ax - The stock truck uses a 550 3150kv motor.  There's tons of space in there and you can run whatever you want.  In my first LMT I run a Castle 1/8 scale 2650kv motor and it's a beast.  In my other I run a Castle 2200kv motor and that runs great as well.  Run them on 2S for racing, no need for anything more as they're geared very well.   In the one that showed up yesterday I'm going to make it a dedicated race truck and want to keep the weight down as much as possible.  Going to run a 3800-4000kv 3660 or 3665 motor which will be similar to the stock system but with a bit more rpm and will run it on 2S.  There is a seller on Ebay here in the US that sells private label Hobbywing systems that have proven to be very good (and much cheaper than retail versions).  They run about $100, here's a link to the seller (and the system I'm most likely putting in this LMT) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/133954424326?hash=item1f304e4e06:g:PlAAAOSwrVRhq95u

Only thing to keep in mind is you'll need a 5mm shaft motor.  The LMT runs a MOD 1 pinion and most of those that I've seen are 5mm.  The extra strength doesn't hurt with a truck this heavy either.  

For servos, I run the DS3218 PRO in both of my current trucks and no issues.  One truck runs with a Kimbrough 124 saver and the other just an aluminum horn, both are fine.  

As for bodies, I probably mentioned it before but the JConcepts crawler bodies fit the LMT perfectly with the extra width they have.  The regular monster truck bodies are just too skinny.  You'll have to cut out the wheel wells like the real trucks, but I think they look great like that.  I remove the stock cage since I couldnt get a body low enough for my taste, also helps to drop a bit of weight.  Attached a picture or two below of my current LMTs showing the crawler width bodies.  

The good news is there's not much to modify on the truck, it works fantastic as is.  I have been racing my original truck since I got it and its been a tank, haven't broken a single part and it performs very well.  

9.JPG

10.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the info @87lc2.  I looked up the specs on the stock truck and it says something about a 3665 motor as standard - I get confused with all these different types, I just about know what a 540, 550 and 600 is but I don't know why they're called that.  Interesting that a 2650 or 2200 is fine on 2S, I thought it would want more than that, being such a big truck.  I don't want ridiculous power, but this will probably be my most capable truck so it makes sense to have a good system in it.

I was looking at the 2020 Raptor body for the LMT.  It's a modern truck, so I feel like I want a modern body on it.  Looks like it should fit on there nicely with the cage out back, just like the 2010 Raptor on the SMT.

The cage on the LMT is nothing like the cage on the SMT in my opinion, it's way too tall.  I love cutting bodies around the SMT, but with the LMT they sit way too high.  To each their own I guess, you could make it work if you wanted to.  I do like the new Raptor bodies for the LMT, but not sure if they have extra width like the crawler bodies. 

For motors, 540 = 3650 / 550 = 3660.  The brushless numbers are just measurements.  For example a 3660 is 36mm in diameter and 60 mm long.  I use the 3660 (550) cans in most of my trucks like the SMT and will try one in the LMT this time around.  Pretty sure the stock LMT motor is a 550 (3660) Spectrum unit - https://www.rccars.guide/mtt-ep15-spektrum-3150kv-motor-tested-losi-lmt-rtr-monster-truck-motor/

2S seems fine with any motor on the LMT, seems to be geared well.  I have ran mine on 3S but really no need, runs great with the big can motors on 2S.  If I only had one LMT I would certainly go with an 1/8 scale system, the truck handles the torque very well and you could run it on 3-4S without issue if you wanted to.  

• Thanks 1

I got a message last night saying shipment had been delayed - I guess there was so much excitement over the deal, that've had a stock shortage!  No problem for me, I'm so busy with other stuff, it doesn't matter if it sits on backorder for a while.

That said, I'll hold off ordering a power system or body until it's actually in my hands.

I'll try the 2010 Raptor body over the LMT once it's here, get a feel for how it looks, and maybe try the '84 F250 body I've got on the E-Maxx.  That's a much wider body than my other monsters (tbh that's why I put it on the E-Maxx, as it hangs on a completely different shelf and doesn't mess up my scales :lol: )

Oh that's too bad.  Where did you order from again?  Still showing in stock through Tower, but definitley possible that a few retailers ran out.  I've seen a lot of people talking about the sale and I'll bet they sold a ton. 

I think the Raptor body will look good on there, not sure but I think the JC Raptor body for the LMT is a bit wider than their standard bodies if that's the one you're talking about.  

Got it from Amain, got a message in the early hours telling me it's been shipped now - just gotta wait and see how long it takes to get here and what happens when it hits our shores :)

• Like 2

That's great.  Hopefully all goes well.  I do think you'll like the truck.  I remember being a bit disappointed when I got my first in a few things, but after using the truck a lot over the past year I have grown to really appreciate it.  

I have started to tear mine down for powder coating and either I'm being extra careful or they've actually listened and improved the hardware quality.  On my original truck I rounded off so many 2mm hex heads trying to dissasemble various parts it was ridiculous, and that was with MIP drivers.  So far I haven't had a single issue with hardware on the new truck so that's good news.  She's not all the way apart yet, but so far so good. 

• Like 1

Got around to taking apart the new LMT and happy to say there are some improvements since the first version.  Most are small, but welcome upgrades.  The axles are V2 housings which is nice, and they also changed the rear hub carrier screws to M3 rather than M2 on the original.  This is huge, I stripped very single one of those M2 bolts on my first one and that was with MIP drivers and being very careful.  That leads me to the last update - most of the hardware has been improved.  Still not great, but after disassembling the entire truck only rounded out a few heads and none so bad that I couldn't remove them so definitely an improvement. 

This is going to be a dedicated race truck and I'll leave my original for backyard fun.  As far as upgrades there won't be much.  Going to use Bowhouse low COG battery & electronics trays, JConcepts Agressor wheels with Renegade tires, space the shocks down about 8-10mm, and update the sway bar hardware with flanged bearings and that's it.  Going with a 3665 3800kv brushless setup, I like the 1/8 scale system in my other truck but trying to shave a bit of weight if I can and the 3665 should be more than enough.  Have also emptied the front and rear diffs of their "fluid" (its more like glue...) but will leave the center alone.  

Only other thing I've done is paint the chassis, links, and sway bar hardware black.  I never liked the purplish color they used for the aluminum parts so figured I'd paint them while I had it apart.  Was going to have them powder coated but I may end up cutting this chassis if I decide to mount the shocks on the links so paint will do for now.  

IMG_2625.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Roller on sale again for $259!!  Looks to be valid at least at Tower and Amain.

Yup, SMT10 is on sale for $110 as well.  Ordered a couple more for parts :)  

Mine was ordered on March 18, shipped on Mar 24, last known position was 1st April when it arrived at a USPS facility in LA, since then, no movement.  AMain said to wait a few more days before they start the lost package claim :(

Yesterday I started wondering what else I'd buy with the money if I get a refund :lol:

• Sad 1

That's a real shame @Mad Ax, my SMT10 arrived from them without any fuss. I hope they sort it for you soon.

Arg. That LMT at $259 is tempting. I have a Castle 4600 setup that might work in it laying around for ages too. I'm just not in the RC groove at the moment (been turning wrenches on the MGB heavily of late) and already have a ton of trucks as is. As with anything RC around here locally, selling things is nigh impossible so I better love what I buy because it will probably be with me forever. I don't know. I want it, but with inflation out of control, do I need it? 

55 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Arg. That LMT at $259 is tempting. I have a Castle 4600 setup that might work in it laying around for ages too. I'm just not in the RC groove at the moment (been turning wrenches on the MGB heavily of late) and already have a ton of trucks as is. As with anything RC around here locally, selling things is nigh impossible so I better love what I buy because it will probably be with me forever. I don't know. I want it, but with inflation out of control, do I need it? 

I know what you mean...I've been trying to sell some RC stuff and its like pulling teeth dealing with people.  I usually end up going to Ebay and that's fine, but would be much easier to sell locally.  I also get the 1:1 bug this time of year and put RC to the side a bit.  

I'd still say to get the LMT.  It will make all other monsters you've had seem obsolete over night, its really that good performance-wise.  Such a fun truck to drive and acts just like a full size monster.  She's tough too, no need to be too gentle with it.  As far as that Castle setup, don't think it would work too well.  For one the LMT is heavy and really needs a 550 or larger sized motor.  Two, its geared very high and that motor would probably heat up instantly trying to push the weight around.  I can send you a link of an Ebay seller I recommended to another member.  They have 3665 brushless motors for about $30-$40 and will work fine with your Castle ESC (or you can get one of theirs, they're unlabeled Hobbywing units).   You really want a 3000-3500kv motor for the LMT, anything more and you need to gear it down a lot.  I'm running a 3665 3800kv in the one I got a few weeks back and had to go all the way to the smallest pinion to keep it at a decent speed.  

Short answer - yes you need it :)   If you hate it I'll buy it from you, already have an idea to radically customize one which involves cutting the chassis and mounting the shocks on the lower links for a super low COG setup.  

I put one in my basket last night and then removed it again, just like last time. If I hadn't bought the SMT10 on the last sale, I probably would have bought it. As it is, I haven't gone a running 'proper' monster truck yet so I'd better wait. Keep telling myself 'there will be another one in the future...'

21 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I put one in my basket last night and then removed it again, just like last time. If I hadn't bought the SMT10 on the last sale, I probably would have bought it. As it is, I haven't gone a running 'proper' monster truck yet so I'd better wait. Keep telling myself 'there will be another one in the future...'

You're probably right, at this rate looks like it'll go on sale every month or so.  I do want another LMT but going to wait and hope it goes on sale again.  Still have other RC projects I've been meaning to get to for a while now.  

I can vouch for those brushless he recommended. I bought one for my top force evo and was shocked that the 4600 kv has zero cogging and was only $32 shipped. 

• Like 1

Good question...not sure.  Probably China, but possibly Taiwan.  I know the SMT is made in Taiwan.  If I can remember I'll take a look at the box when I get home. 

I contacted the US shipping handler for my missing LMT yesterday and have been told it's probably officially lost, so today I started the claim process with AMain, who tell me I'll be 100% insured.  I've asked if they can supply another at the same price (looks like the deal is over now), but even so it means risking another round of shipping from the States, so I'm not sure if I'll just get a refund on this.  The cheapest I can find an RTR (new) in the UK is £609, that's almost $800 at today's exchange rate.  In fairness it would likely cost me close to £600 total once I've paid the import duty and kitted the roller out with electrics and body, but I was planning on doing it slowly over a few months.  I'm wondering if I should put the money back for a few more months and just get an RTR digger and sell on the body, or just walk away from it altogether and put the cash towards my other stalled projects.  I'd never planned on getting an LMT this year anyway - my plan was always to use this money for existing projects.