Interestingly, Axial's site shows their Grave Digger RTR as discontinued but the kit version as still available. Maybe Losi will drop the roller and add a kit. Axial's license probably just ran out and wasn't renewed since the Digger guys are over in the Losi camp now. I really hope Axial keeps putting out the kit. The SMT10 seems really ideal for Sport Mod classes. 

I don't think the SMT10 Builders Kit is going anywhere, but I could be wrong.  I've bought more of those than I can count at this point...

Would be great to see Losi make an LMT kit but I just don't see it.  They should, the build quality of the LMT is horrendous.  I have seen more stripped screws and sway bars installed incorrectly than any other factory-built vehicle I've come across.  Nearly every race I need to tell someone their sway bars are upside down :)   

On 11/3/2022 at 2:53 AM, Badcrumble said:

Well done to anyone who picked up one of these. The Roller kit has been discontinued :(

Bummer.  My guess would be either poor sales (roller in an RTR world seems odd, IMO), or potential hint at a Ver.2 release at some point...

On 11/3/2022 at 2:22 PM, Saito2 said:

Well, that sucks. I was tempted a couple times but was holding out for a kit (I know, dream on). I guess, in the end, I was hesitant to buy something so nice that it would blow my current trucks out of the water. I like my outdated mod Clods.

A kit would be AWESOME, and while it's nice to see a few more hitting the market (Traxxas, HPI), I'd be surprised to see a kit LMT.

Wow, kinda glad I got in when I did.  It was only this sale thread that tempted me, and it was a lot of cash to blow in one go.

I passed up a used RTR last month for a pretty good price, it would have been worth it just for the stock electrics, and keep the chassis for spares, but it was a bit too much money for me to put up right away.

Maybe sales dropped off enough that they weren't worth keeping in production?  Who knows, maybe something new is coming along?

Just picked up two more used LMTs for future projects...I keep saying no more and then more just leep finding me.  Wondering when it will stop but I just enjoy building these so much I can't.  Also picked up another cheap CPE Carbon chassis from a fellow racer.  Was going to throw LMT axles under it but decided against it, going to give Ryft axles/transmission a shot.  

Have to say I'm still impressed with the LMT.  I have been racing two of mine hard for the past year or so and not a single breakage or issue.  I don't bash them like some of the morons I see breaking them constantly, but when used as intended these trucks are absolutely bulletproof.  One of my race trucks is still running the V1 axles and no issues. 

It's also surprising that I don't see nearly as many as I thought I would at the various races I attend.  Granted, most of the racers have custom-chassis trucks that cost 2-3X what an LMT costs, but I routinely win with my modded LMTs and sometimes its not even close.  Not sure what the aversion to them is, but to each their own I guess.  I say that to wonder who the real target audience for these trucks is?  Obviously Horizon/Losi wants everyone to buy one, but it seems they are being accepted more by the casual monster community and basher community rather than the racing community.  Yes, most clubs have stock LMT classes and I know a few guys in TK run them in Pro Mod, but most racers in my area still run their Freestyle, CPE, SCMT, SWMS chassis rather than giving the LMT a shot as a serious racer.   I will admit that you can't just take a stock LMT and compete in Pro Mod so it does take some thought/experience to make a proper race truck out of it, but certainly no more than building a race truck from a bare chassis. 

Sorry for rambling on and don't expect any answers, just figured I'd put it out there.  It's a very interesting truck in many ways to me and I've really grown to like it a lot.  Hope it stays around in some form for a really long time.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

It's also surprising that I don't see nearly as many as I thought I would at the various races I attend.  Granted, most of the racers have custom-chassis trucks that cost 2-3X what an LMT costs, but I routinely win with my modded LMTs and sometimes its not even close.  Not sure what the aversion to them is, but to each their own I guess.  I say that to wonder who the real target audience for these trucks is?  Obviously Horizon/Losi wants everyone to buy one, but it seems they are being accepted more by the casual monster community and basher community rather than the racing community.  Yes, most clubs have stock LMT classes and I know a few guys in TK run them in Pro Mod, but most racers in my area still run their Freestyle, CPE, SCMT, SWMS chassis rather than giving the LMT a shot as a serious racer.   I will admit that you can't just take a stock LMT and compete in Pro Mod so it does take some thought/experience to make a proper race truck out of it, but certainly no more than building a race truck from a bare chassis. 

Sorry for rambling on and don't expect any answers, just figured I'd put it out there.  It's a very interesting truck in many ways to me and I've really grown to like it a lot.  Hope it stays around in some form for a really long time.  

I could be that those guys who put 2-3x the cost of an LMT into their rigs are a bit reluctant to put all that investment aside and get into an LMT. I don't know how fast the technology moves in solid axle MT racing, so it might be awhile until their trucks wear out and/or they are ready for something new, at which point they might look into an LMT. Now if LMTs came into the scene in force, in enough numbers, and dominated, it might become more of a necessity to stay competitive.

Possibly, it could be the RTR aspect with MT racers too. RTR sounds perfect for the casual basher, but the solid axle MT community has been so accustomed to building up their creations (especially race Clods, but probably even SMT10s, just to a lesser extent) that a pre-baked RTR MT might have trouble breaking into this crowd of rather niche RC'ers. In my youth I probably could have afforded a new '02 Z28. The test drive was cool and the LS1 engine was killer, but I felt it would effectively end all my endeavors I had been making with the V8 Chevy Vega I had built myself. The Camaro might have been fast, but the Vega was infinitely cooler. As dated as 4th gen Camaros have become, I'm glad I skipped it.

Definitely solid theories and all make sense, who knows the real reason.  It most likely has something to do with the "cool factor" of buying a high end chassis and building it yourself.  I totally get that and do the same, but if something works I'm going to use it and the LMT has been good to me so far.  Even my SoCal Monsters Warpath (which is about as good as you can get) is just slightly behind a properly modded LMT in my book.  If I had to choose one truck to win one race it would be my LMT.  

I like the analogy with the Camaro, but I dsiagree that the 4th gens are dated -  I think they're actually becoming cool again :)   But I like all of that late 80's, early 90's stuff since that's what was around and cheap when I was first getting into real cars.  Probably not a bad idea to have skipped it though, the build quality on those was just awful...I've had a few Camaros/Formulas, both 3rd and 4th gen, and they are pretty bad cars all around.  Other than being decently fast there's not much to like there. 

26 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I could be that those guys who put 2-3x the cost of an LMT into their rigs are a bit reluctant to put all that investment aside and get into an LMT. I don't know how fast the technology moves in solid axle MT racing, so it might be awhile until their trucks wear out and/or they are ready for something new, at which point they might look into an LMT. Now if LMTs came into the scene in force, in enough numbers, and dominated, it might become more of a necessity to stay competitive.

Possibly, it could be the RTR aspect with MT racers too. RTR sounds perfect for the casual basher, but the solid axle MT community has been so accustomed to building up their creations (especially race Clods, but probably even SMT10s, just to a lesser extent) that a pre-baked RTR MT might have trouble breaking into this crowd of rather niche RC'ers.

I think a lot of people are proud of their custom trucks (and into them deep enough...) and will run them for as long as they can.  Especially as a custom Clod or SMT10 have still proven competitive in some cases.  I really wish the LMT had a kit option... or that I wouldn't have talked myself out of a roller when it was available.  The problem for myself (and I'm sure for some others), is that I REALLY want the LMT GraveDigger... but know I would end up stripping it to make changes.  Take out the RTR setup, and put in a Futaba RX to use my existing radio.  Put in a nice servo for steering.  Maybe drop in a different ESC/motor...... all of a sudden this is becoming a VERY expensive truck, and we haven't even got into shiny aluminum bit or performance mods yet.  I've almost pulled the trigger half a dozen times since release... and then back out of my cart when I look at the "real" cost, and the reality that I already have Axials and Tamiya.
One day.....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I like the analogy with the Camaro, but I dsiagree that the 4th gens are dated -  I think they're actually becoming cool again :)   But I like all of that late 80's, early 90's stuff since that's what was around and cheap when I was first getting into real cars.  Probably not a bad idea to have skipped it though, the build quality on those was just awful...I've had a few Camaros/Formulas, both 3rd and 4th gen, and they are pretty bad cars all around.

Despite being mostly a "Chevy guy" as a kid, the Fox 5.0 was the exception. I liked the 5.0 but just couldn't get down with the Stangbanger crowd, so I bided my time until they moved on to other platforms before buying one. The IROC was such a hot car but gearheads in my area quickly pegged them as posers as Foxes regularly out-paced them BITD. Nowadays, I actually am beginning to like the nice crisp lines of a clean IROC 3rd gen, but still can't dig the rounded 4th gens. The same goes for the rounded '96-'98 SN95 Stangs.

30 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I really wish the LMT had a kit option

yup

31 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

all of a sudden this is becoming a VERY expensive truck,

...and that's where I saw it going in my case as well. The other thing that holds me back is my stupid relance on old tech. I still do Nimh and brushed motors. In almost all cases, I don't need or want what Lipo/brushless provides but its pretty much required to run that big stuff like the LMT effectively.

• Like 1

Agree 100% on buying an RTR LMT, I personally would never do it.  All of mine were either Rollers or used basket cases.  $650 is a lot for any RC, especially one that you'd want to dump more money into.  

• Like 2