Hi Good People !

I just obtained a very, very good condition 'Tamiya 1985 Toyota Bruiser' from a local trade. The owner didn't used it much...it was mostly a 'shelf queen' !

I'm planning to "re-store" this truck and I would be very, very grateful indeed if anyone could please recommend me an affordable :-

(1) RC System : is the 'FlySky FS-i6 [6 channel] any good? (Well, the price seems good !)

(2) ESC : I got a 'Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed ESC' laying around...is it suitable for the 'Mabuchi 750' motor?

Any advises and help, Good People, is highly appreciated !

Thank you!

Cant speak to that exact tx model but i have multiple flysky radios, fs-gt3b, fs-t6 and fs-th9x which all have been excellent.

The i6 has support for more advances radio protocolls iirc.

I had a flysky on a cloan Trex Heli, wasnt impressed. You have a high end classic, id go full monty and get a Futaba 4ch Stick.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, steponit! said:

(2) ESC : I got a 'Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed ESC' laying around...is it suitable for the 'Mabuchi 750' motor?

yeah 1060 is more than plenty, the 750 ain’t very thirsty 

Mine run on TEU101BK & Futaba MC330R stuffed inside radiobox, they never complain & barely even feel warm. 

I swear by the fly sky GT3C and I do have the best luck with the hw1060 on all my vintage rides. And +1 on

PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. 

Thanks for the replies, Good People !!

GTodd :  Futaba's radio are cool but a bit pricey for me...thanks for the suggestion though!

GTodd & Exit13 : Pics coming soon...I had a long day today so didn't get the time to do so...apologies !

WillyChang & Exit13 :  Great news for that ! I'll go for the 1060 ! Thanks, gentlemen !

If you want to keep it period correct the right UK set would be an Acoms 427 / Mk1 

Or a Futaba T4L / Attack - either Ripmax UK or Robbe EU 👍

It seems that I just can load only one picture!

Anyway, I just discovered that:

(1) The rear differential is not working. When I turn it by hand one side, the other side rotates the same way! Is it "locked" or something ?

(2) The body is a 'Mountaineer' and not a 'Bruiser !! So sorry for the wrong info...my bad  !!  Under the body is printed '1992 Tamiya Mountain' and that's how I got to know...

(3) The truck is equipped with a 'Futaba R124H Receiver' and 3 servo's (haven't dismantled yet) unfortunately it didn't come with the transmitter

Neither the rear axle or the front axle has a differential. Both axles are spooled up solid.

The front axle uses one way bearings on the front hubs, which allow the front wheels to free spin when the transmission is not in Low Gear/4WD. These one way hubs do not allow for 4WD to work in reverse, so a trade off.

Enjoy, the vintage 3 speeds are fun to own/operate B)

Looks very clean, I don’t know what you’ve got to restore :P

Body is Mountaineer but the chassis looks Bruiser by its wheels & battery tray. 

12 hours ago, spankrjs said:

Neither the rear axle or the front axle has a differential. Both axles are spooled up solid.

The front axle uses one way bearings on the front hubs, which allow the front wheels to free spin when the transmission is not in Low Gear/4WD. These one way hubs do not allow for 4WD to work in reverse, so a trade off.

Enjoy, the vintage 3 speeds are fun to own/operate B)

Thanks a zillion, spankrjs !

Didn't know about that ! For all these years I thought it had differentials and that's why it looked soo cool....in my eyes !! :lol:

11 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Looks very clean, I don’t know what you’ve got to restore :P

Body is Mountaineer but the chassis looks Bruiser by its wheels & battery tray. 

Yeah, you are right my friend !! :D 

Suddenly I think I'll leave it at it is....

Btw, does anyone know whether the 2012 Bruiser Rear Axles (it has differential,  right?) can direct fit on the 1985 Bruiser? 

If I remember correctly, 'rcchannel' did make them before at USD250 a piece! Sadly I don't see them listed anymore in their website...

On 3/25/2022 at 2:31 PM, steponit! said:

Btw, does anyone know whether the 2012 Bruiser Rear Axles (it has differential,  right?) can direct fit on the 1985 Bruiser? 

If I remember correctly, 'rcchannel' did make them before at USD250 a piece! Sadly I don't see them listed anymore in their website...

2012 has diffs (lockable with a pin) but the whole axle pumpkin is a lot fatter 

also T parts are ex & not easy to source, you found someplace that sells em? 

RC4WD used to make/sell various Bruiser aftermarket axle assemblies; don’t know if they’re diff or not. 

Up to you but I’d restore to vintage ?

The Bruiser shell is the same re re from memory ? and period RC / electrics will let your drive the reason you bought 

A hybrid can still be be fun - but it will ultimately dilute experience + value 👍

On 3/26/2022 at 10:39 PM, WillyChang said:

2012 has diffs (lockable with a pin) but the whole axle pumpkin is a lot fatter 

also T parts are ex & not easy to source, you found someplace that sells em? 

RC4WD used to make/sell various Bruiser aftermarket axle assemblies; don’t know if they’re diff or not. 

Thanks so much for the info !

Nope, I haven't found any...I'll letcha know if I bump into one!

On 3/27/2022 at 5:04 AM, SuperChamp82 said:

Up to you but I’d restore to vintage ?

The Bruiser shell is the same re re from memory ? and period RC / electrics will let your drive the reason you bought 

A hybrid can still be be fun - but it will ultimately dilute experience + value 👍

I'll most probably just leave it as it is ! Thanks lot for the info !

It looks 99% complete, and in fantastic condition.  I suggest that you find a copy of the manual and acquire the little bits such as the tranny seal plugs & period-correct TX and either display the lot or run it very gently so as not to damage or scratch it.

You're very fortunate to have found one in that condition. Even the axles are glossy, not having oxidized from grubby hands touching the raw aluminum.  Very nice.