AshRC

Finally got a Wild Willy M38

First impressions are how big and stocky these things are. I was expecting it to be a lot smaller and lighter. Obviously built to last.

spacer.png

Everything seems to be ok. Very dirty and faded, and everything has threadlock and glue on it, but it will be a fun restoration.

• Like 6

Congrats, @AshRC!!

Enjoy the car.. it’s my favorite out of all factory Tamiya cars.  :D 

Btw, where did Willy go?? :blink:

No Willy :(

Just started stripping it down. Quick question, does the front grill just slot into place? All the screws are out, but it’s not moving. It could be glued, but I don’t see any. Not sure what to do …

spacer.png

It looks to be glue, or cement, into place. If cement, putting it into the freezer may allow it to be broken apart. 

Yikes. Ok, I’ll give it a go. 

I guess the other option will be to snap the two radiator mounts, fix the grill, then glue the radiator back onto the mounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshRC said:

Yikes. Ok, I’ll give it a go. 

I guess the other option will be to snap the two radiator mounts, fix the grill, then glue the radiator back onto the mounts.

Yeah, I just take a mini saw and cut it off and cement it back together.  I do this all the time so it's a sound approach.  :) 

PN: 54496 will net you a WW2 Willy driver figure!   GL with the rebuild.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:49 PM, Willy iine said:

Btw, where did Willy go?? :blink:

He’s gone to take a leak with the jerrycan... then somebody makes off with his ride. 

• Haha 1

Welcome to the club. These aren’t as tuff as you think. Enjoy it lightly. Btw see shapeways for many repop parts for these buggies. I even think they sell grills that will match the original wild Willy’s. I know I bought ans a arm from them and they have the shock tower Mount and bulkheads. Good luck with it - it’s looks great already 

Thanks @simensays I already grabbed a copy of that. The old manuals aren’t as simple as they are now, I’m pleased I never built one of these as a 10 yr old :lol:

How does the front bumper come off? The springs on mine are rock solid, is it brute force or is there a trick to it?

The bumper comes off with a nice pull, but be gentle when you pull as some become brittle over time and can snap in half.  :blink: :lol:

But you can also buy 3D printed bumpers from Shapeways.   I bought one and painted it matte black.  Looks great.  I ended up just buying a few extra used M38's to use as spares as well.

• Like 1

Some progress. Chassis taken apart and cleaned, all metal parts (including springs) removed and polished.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Offcut from a Tamiya parts spruce cut down, shaped and glued in place.

spacer.png

• Like 3

If all fails Shapeways has 3D printed grills in case you need it.  ^_^

If the grill was more damaged I'd replace it, but the rest of it is (mostly) OK. Seems a shame to replace a 30-yr old part for one missing upright.

Let's see how the repair turns out :unsure:

• Like 2

Nice find! I sold my WW a few years ago, regretting it ever since. Need to find myself another one. :)

Chassis finished, driver finished, body “finished” (still have to get a fuel can and repaint the spare wheel). The grill repair turned out really well, and everything else cleaned up nicely. I’m so pleased with the result, thanks to everyone for the moral support B)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well worth the time and effort.

• Like 4

Good job @AshRC!

The paddle tires go the other way, if it matters to you.  Have fun with your new ride.  :D 

2 hours ago, AshRC said:

Chassis finished, driver finished, body “finished” (still have to get a fuel can and repaint the spare wheel). The grill repair turned out really well, and everything else cleaned up nicely. I’m so pleased with the result, thanks to everyone for the moral support B)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well worth the time and effort.

Looks awesome.  I remember the first time I saw one in the 80s mind blowing.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, Willy iine said:

Good job @AshRC!

The paddle tires go the other way, if it matters to you.  Have fun with your new ride.  :D 

Rookie error, thanks @Willy iine

Embarrassingly, I did Google which way round they went, found plenty of photos of them fitted both ways. Obviously chose wrong :wacko:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AshRC said:

Rookie error, thanks @Willy iine

Embarrassingly, I did Google which way round they went, found plenty of photos of them fitted both ways. Obviously chose wrong :wacko:

No problem.  It is confusing for sure when most V tread tires point towards the front, one would assume the paddles would too.