TurnipJF

Turnip restores (and mildly hops up) a TB-01

Shocks are on.

2022-04-03_08-53-35

2022-04-03_08-53-58

The carbon towers push the shocks 3mm further away than the plastic ones do, so the bottom shock eyelets also need to be spaced away from the lower arms by 3mm. I have plenty of 3mm blue alloy spacers, but the rest of the car is black and silver so I opted for black plastic ones. I also went for longer step screws so that there is plenty of thread in the lower arms even with the spacers installed.

• Like 2

I then did a bit of fiddling to free up an ESC for the project. The TB-01 came with an Mtroniks Eco 27 ESC, which won't cut the mustard with the 23t motor I want to use in it once it is back together. However I had an RV-20 installed in my DT-01 Rookie Rabbit which runs a silver can and is unlikely to ever run anything hotter. The answer was simple: swap the Eco 27 into the DT-01, freeing up the RV-20.

The Eco 27 works just fine in the DT-01.

2022-04-03_09-59-59

I now have an RV-20 ready to go into the TB-01, which will easily handle my 23t motor.

2022-04-03_10-01-41

• Like 3

And here is the aforementioned motor - which used to power my TT-01 rally car until it went brushless. 

2022-04-04_07-02-33

I really like how the alloy motor mount is designed to rotate upwards through 90 degrees to make it easier to change motors or pinions.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, with the the spur gear cover in place, there isn't enough space to fit the the TB-01 heatsink without it fouling the brush guides, so for the moment it is not fitted.

2022-04-04_07-01-34

I am not sure if I am going to modify the stock one by shortening it or clearancing around the brush guides, find an alternative or just run without one. 

• Like 4

I was expecting to have to wait until payday before proceeding further with this project, but a small unexpected windfall has just given my wife and I a bit of extra hobby money. I spent some of mine on a metal geared servo, high torque servo saver and some genuine Tamiya alloy hexes to replace the cheap aftermarket ones I had set aside for this car after finding their fit to be very poor.

When these bits arrive, we'll have all we need to get the chassis moving under its own power. The shell however will have to wait for payday. Or will it? 😁

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I was expecting to have to wait until payday before proceeding further with this project, but a small unexpected windfall has just given my wife and I a bit of extra hobby money. I spent some of mine on a metal geared servo, high torque servo saver and some genuine Tamiya alloy hexes to replace the cheap aftermarket ones I had set aside for this car after finding their fit to be very poor.

When these bits arrive, we'll have all we need to get the chassis moving under its own power. The shell however will have to wait for payday. Or will it? 😁

Genuine Tamiya hex's are a smart choice. Funny how the cheap ones almost always end up being loose even when you tighten them fully. Looking forward to the next steps!

• Like 2

Tamiya hexes are here!

2022-04-11_12-33-46

Which means that the wheels can go on. 

2022-04-11_12-33-27

• Like 5

Time to prep the ESC for installation. 

2022-04-11_10-24-19

I don't mind using Tamiya connectors on older models running silver cans and nickel metal hydride batteries. If anything I think it adds to their authenticity. However on anything with a hotter motor or where I intend to run LiPo batteries, I prefer Deans connectors.

Much better!

2022-04-11_10-23-54

The Deans connector is fitted, and I have also removed the bullet connectors from the motor wires and tinned them as I will be soldering them directly to the motor.

• Like 2

The ESC is in, along with the servo and receiver. 

2022-04-11_02-49-07

Bodywork next!

• Like 4

The donor car came with rear body posts that extend backwards behind the shocks. These interfere with the carbon shock towers and don't fit the holes in any of my shells, so I decided to modify them to match the locations of the rear posts on my TA-02. 

2022-04-13_03-16-46

This will allow me to use the runner shell that I have for my other rally cars until such time as I get this chassis its own shell.

I don't think they look too bad when mounted.

2022-04-13_03-19-01

I have some proper ones on order, but these should suffice until they arrive. 

• Like 1

Fitting the shell showed me how narrow the TB-01 chassis is. Even with 3mm offset wheels, the car is only 180mm wide and the wheels look a bit silly tucked deep into the arches of a 190mm shell.

2022-04-13_03-22-46

TG10 long axles to the rescue!

2022-04-13_03-20-40

These allow the use of 10mm hexes. 

2022-04-13_03-21-40

The width is now a full 190mm so the wheels fill the arches properly. 

2022-04-13_03-24-00

• Like 5

Nice work @TurnipJF! I didn't even know 12mm hexes went as big as 10mm. That wider stance should make the car nice a stable I'd have thought and the wheels fill the arches so well nowB)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

2022-04-13_03-20-40

2022-04-13_03-21-40

2022-04-13_03-24-00

I did the same thing on my Porsche 911 RSR TT-02 👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

2022-04-13_03-20-40

Lovely job!

I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of the tape the WR02 Universals (54394) do the same job, with the added benefit of.....well, being Universals I suppose!

They can also be paired with Tamiya 9mm hex hubs (54610) and 1mm spacers (53646), if one wanted to keep it all 'on the island' :)

• Like 3

One of the final pieces of the puzzle has arrived in the form of a second pack of body posts.

2022-04-20_05-10-06

Going to fit them this evening. Then I'll be able to show you the car wearing its proper shell. 

• Like 2

Hope it's a nice Ford shell😉

• Haha 1

Nice project, I'm tempted to get one for a rally spec. I grab a seat to see how it ends.

With the new body mounts in place, the display body is fitted.

2022-04-21_01-43-58

2022-04-21_01-43-28

I know that earlier in the thread, I said the body was likely to be an Audi Quattro, but I felt that the Mitsubishi Evo VI was a better fit for the chassis. I will still be adding an Audi Quattro to the fleet, but it will be going on my TA-02 rally chassis instead. 

The project is now almost complete, with just the refurbishment of the chassis cover and the modification and fitting of a motor heatsink remaining. I have decided not to butcher the original Tamiya one, and instead have a cheap Chinese heatsink with a fan on the way. 

• Like 7

Very nice 👍

Is it a Tamiya body?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, svenb said:

Very nice 👍

Is it a Tamiya body?

Sadly not. It is the HPI one. Couldn't find a Tamiya one for love or money.