GTVeloce

Stick (or wheel?) Tx recommendation? (starting up).

Hello everyone,

After doing a lot of reading on transmitter recommendation threads etc, I have some specific questions since I am just starting up. I mention Futaba since I am used to the brand from back in the day (never had one, just looked at them in magazines). Furthermore, something tells me that I should not cut corners on a Tx even though I am only interested in casual driving and not racing etc.

I would like to start sort of "defensively" on the purchases in case things don't pan out well with the hobby etc... In other words, I would rather pick something basic first (and stick to it if I just use the car here and there and the hobby does not pick up). If thinks go well (with the hobby), then to opt for a better option inside the same ecosystem* (*if this makes sense, to have 1x basic and 1x better Tx with common Rx's in more cars in the good scenario).

So along those lines, I was thinking about a Futaba 2HR (stick route), or a 3PV (pistol type route), and then for level 2, if and when that comes, a 4GRS or a T4PM respectively.

So the questions:

1. Does it make sense to go with Futaba or should I consider other less expensive solutions like FlySky etc...

2. For someone used to sticks (albeit with simple RC cars back in the 80's like Nikko buggies etc...), wouldn't wheels/pistol seem odd? They do in theory to be honest...and sticks make more sense (like gamepad driving of sorts).

3, I take it that FHSS Rx's will be compatible with any of the Tx's mentioned so the plan will work right? In other words any of the aforementioned Tx's will be able to be paired with any car (as long as it has an FHSS futaba Rx)

Other considerations: The basic Tx must be suitable for my little one as well (either the 2HR or the 3PV). Given more cars and a 2nd TX, the 2nd TX will enable us to run simultaneously.

Many thanks in advance for your time and replies and apologies for the lengthy post and some too obvious questions.

GTVeloce

1 hour ago, GTVeloce said:

1. Does it make sense to go with Futaba or should I consider other less expensive solutions like FlySky etc...

2. For someone used to sticks (albeit with simple RC cars back in the 80's like Nikko buggies etc...), wouldn't wheels/pistol seem odd? They do in theory to be honest...and sticks make more sense (like gamepad driving of sorts).

3, I take it that FHSS Rx's will be compatible with any of the Tx's mentioned so the plan will work right? In other words any of the aforementioned Tx's will be able to be paired with any car (as long as it has an FHSS futaba Rx)

Other considerations: The basic Tx must be suitable for my little one as well (either the 2HR or the 3PV). Given more cars and a 2nd TX, the 2nd TX will enable us to run simultaneously.

1. FlySky GT3 is often recommended here as a beginner's budget controller. However some more snobbish people will call it cheap beginner rubbish and tell you some BS that the radio is the "most important" piece of equipment connecting you and the car and you should pay top dollar for one (along with all other "important" stuff).

2. I have both. Like you, I started on Nikko sticks, so when I returned to RC last year, I got a stick. However, a few months in, I also got a gun type. Truth be told, the switch over is fine for me. For your young ones, I will suggest getting a gun type as sticks for surface vehicles are getting rare, so get them used to gun type now will be good when they move on. I started my daughter on with sticks, but will let me son use the gun type when he is ready.

3. NO! Be careful about this. Some will work, some will not. It is known that FlySky and Absima will work. If you want to cross brands, or even models, do your research carefully. I got a Absima CR3P (effectively same as a FlySky GT3, but a bit more expensive) as I like its design more, but uses FlySky RX from China as they are cheap.

For young hands, may I suggest a Turbo Racing P32 https://www.asiatees.com/display?Turbo Racing-All-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=180001&pid=1 It is small and suits small hands, has models memory so you can control more than just one car. It is cheap so if RC is not the way forward, no great lost. 

• Like 1

Hi there. 

I'm one of those RC snobs. I've only been in the hobby for 35 years so don't have alvin's expertise. I use quality equipment because it has never let me down.

Sticks vs wheel is personal - but you have much more choice with wheels. And if you haven't driven for a long time, and weren't racing at a high level with sticks, you'll learn a wheel very quickly.

2HR vs 3PV is not a fair comparison, the 3PV is a far superior spec - in fact outside of some specific functionality, it's all the radio you would ever need for an RC car. 2HR is a very basic 2 channel set. It will drive a car around but offers the bare minimum of adjustments (even fewer than the 3PRKA which is Futaba's cheapest wheel set). I would not recommend a 2HR, although the good news is that if you do get one, the receiver will be compatible with other Futaba FHSS sets.

A smaller child will find a wheel radio easier to use because they are easier to hold on to. The 3PV is relatively small.

I would recommend the 3PV and accept a small amount of re-learning on your part. It's a much better deal.

• Like 2

if you plan on having multiple RC cars then i suggest the flysky series that can synch with more than 1 receiver. saves money and space. for that matter any quality transmitter that can pair with multiple receivers. single bind transmitters arent bad if you want to have 2 people use the cars at the same time but they take up space.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GTVeloce said:

Hello everyone,

After doing a lot of reading on transmitter recommendation threads etc, I have some specific questions since I am just starting up. I mention Futaba since I am used to the brand from back in the day (never had one, just looked at them in magazines). Furthermore, something tells me that I should not cut corners on a Tx even though I am only interested in casual driving and not racing etc.

I would like to start sort of "defensively" on the purchases in case things don't pan out well with the hobby etc... In other words, I would rather pick something basic first (and stick to it if I just use the car here and there and the hobby does not pick up). If thinks go well (with the hobby), then to opt for a better option inside the same ecosystem* (*if this makes sense, to have 1x basic and 1x better Tx with common Rx's in more cars in the good scenario).

So along those lines, I was thinking about a Futaba 2HR (stick route), or a 3PV (pistol type route), and then for level 2, if and when that comes, a 4GRS or a T4PM respectively.

So the questions:

Many thanks in advance for your time and replies and apologies for the lengthy post and some too obvious questions.

GTVeloce

What sort of driving do you plan on doing and what continent do you reside?  

For instance, if drifting you may wish to look for something gyro capable, for crawling something dig/4ws capable, scale cars something LED light capable, etc.  It really boils down to whether you want the 3rd+ channel and what button/swich the TX has to actuate that 3rd channel. 

Regarding your location, we find that some brands have limited availability and product support in some regions.  

• Like 1

Something to consider, Futaba Rx costs around £25, Flysky £10. Is Futaba over twice as good as Flysky? I really doubt it. Receivers is something to consider if you are going on to have a number of cars. I started off with a Carson Reflex Stick Pro 3.1 but the cost of their RX costing over £20 quickly made me change over to Absima which can use Flysky RX. 

• Like 1

I have pretty much all of the radios you mention.

First of all, wheel vs stick. I prefer wheel but started with sticks back in the 80s like you. I switched to pistol type in the early 90s and never looked back. Its personal preference though, the only thing I would say is there is a lot more choice for pistol type ones than sticks. I started my son on stick when he was 2.5 but he switched to pistol type at about 4.

I have Flysky as they are cheap and I use them for loaner type cars. The GT2 is too basic, the GT3C is fine. It comes with a built in battery (avoid the GT3B, it is similar to the C but requires 8AA batteries). They are cheap and plasticky feeling in the hand and don't feel like they would last forever. They work fine, but I'm sure they lag a bit compared to high end (but that could be all in the head as response rates are measured in 10th's of ms)

Futaba 2HR is very basic, I would avoid. The rx it comes with will bind to any of the FHSS futabas though. Just has the basic channel reverse and trim, no other settings.

The 3PRKA is the minimum I would look at as it has the very basic functions you need like EPA to slow the car. Its single model only though. Feels good in the hand, works well.

The 3PV is great and has everything you need. My son uses one for his race cars. It is very small though, great for kids but depending on how big your hands are you may find it too small. It has 10 model memory, the menu system is a bit of a pain to use, but value for money is there. Its reasonably common to see club racing and doesn't hold anyone back.

I don't have the 4PM, I have the Sanwa equivalent MT4S which is an older mid level radio now. Its brilliant. Feels great in the hand, easy to use menu etc. I expect the 4PM to be similar.

The price of rx is something to consider but isn't a major issue now. There are plenty of clone rx around from aliexpress and banggood among others. They are still more than Flysky but the difference isn't huge, and the clones I've used have all worked perfectly fine. Sanwa have just launched the MT5 which uses a new protocal and the Tx isn't compatible with the earlier rx which I think is because of the success of the clone rx. So just check that (if Futaba bring out a new model I mean, is it backwards compatible). Also, rx last forever (never had one fail) and I grab them secondhand whenever they pop up too.

Having tried a lot of radios I would spend the money on the better stuff as it is much nicer to use. You also have them for a long time so while the initial purchase price may be high the cost is minimal spread over years. Of course thats if you carry on. If you don't then you could sell it and recoup a reasonable amount for a lightly used quality radio so theres probably not much in it. I've seen it so many times when people start cheap and keep upgrading and end up spending heaps. I think your plan about starting with a 3PV then adding the 4PM is sensible as they are great radios that will last for years (unless you drop them). You may just add a second 3PV, they are good radios. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the detailed and informative replies! Ok you got me looking at wheels/pistol type Tx's now. I am looking at Futaba due to familiarity and due to relatively small cost difference to FlySky.

Some points based on what you asked/said.

1. I am in continental Europe with respect to availability etc, so I am looking what is available at (Continental) European shops.

2. Driving: casual only (no racing), mostly on/off road driving of 1/10 cars (like XV01 or M06), rally style or drift style (think more Ken Block here). Crawlers a consideration for the future for sure.

3. Cost wise, a GT3C would be a bit cheaper than a 3PV for me (15% to 20%). Wouldn't the 3PV be more better built etc? An Absima CR3P would be half the cost of the 3PV. I guess similar in quality/features to the GT3C?

Thanks again for your time and replies!

Some cracking advice in here. 
I’ve used the GT3C for years now, it’s a great Tx and the Rx are cheap. But at the end of the day it is a budget handset. I’m getting to the point I want something of a higher quality. I’ve found the GT3C to be a flawless unit as well as the various Rx I use with it(mines hacked and I use the 3ch, 6ch and 8ch Rx with it).
Alas the quality in regard to feel is in line with its price. It’s plasticky and feels like it’ll break if you look at it wrong albeit mine hasn’t despite not really being looked after that well. 

The features vs price on it is impressive.
I’ve always recommended it but it’s certainly not the best by a country mile. It’s hands down likely the best for the price point I’d imagine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTVeloce said:

An Absima CR3P would be half the cost of the 3PV. I guess similar in quality/features to the GT3C?

A CR3P is exactly the same feature wise to the GT3. It is a somewhat nicer (subjective!) design to the GT3 though, and best of all, it can use cheap Flysky Rx, which now has a version that comes with built in gyro. The CR3P also comes with a version that has 2 RX included in the box, which generally is the best all round value for a beginner to get started. 

You can get either the recommended affordable beginner gear to try out and forget it if it don't pan out or spend more for expensive stuff and if the kids lost interest, go through the trouble of selling them on. You mentioned you wanted to start "defensively" in your first post, so my advise is based on that. 

• Like 1

If you've come back to the hobby/sport since the days of 27mhz Crystal radios, alot has changed since then!

Unfortunately,  there's not that many stick radios to choose from, they're either cheap radios with no features, or all singing all dancing ,with hundreds of features (telemetry etc.) This is the instruction manual for my Sanwa (and yes, all in English.....😳)

2020-05-28_12-12-04

I've tried driving a wheel, and I just can't get to grips with it. I can get around a track, but if I need to give the throttle and blip/hit the brakes in the air, I need to think about it, so crash ,usually.

Decide if you are going to be getting more than one car, some of the cheap ones ,only let you run one car, where the better ones ,allow you to 'bind' a few recievers to one Transmitter (think WiFi) so you'd just change to car #2 in the settings, and off you go with a different car (need to buy a reciever though).

I use 'EPA' on every car , End Point Adjustment. With this feature, you can set how far the servo or throttle goes. So I set my steering, so that they just nudge the end stops left & right ( I've one car that's something like 85% one way and 110% the other way) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Unfortunately,  there's not that many stick radios to choose from, they're either cheap radios with no features, or all singing all dancing ,with hundreds of features

There is only one that is affordable that I found with memory, EPA, DR, EXP... The Carson Reflex Stick Pro 3.1. 

• Like 2

Alvin thanks for mentioning the stick version 3.1. Agreed on trying to start defensively. CR3P with two transmitters does look nice (circa 40eu starting up cost difference to a 3PV).

Out of curiosity, since I have not seen any of these in person, would a 3PV be significantly better built than the CR3P (or similar), or does someone need to climb higher up the ladder in order to see the differences (like T4PM or MT-S , MT-44 upwards for Futaba and Sanwa respectively)?

Indeed a CR3P solution does sound intriguing but: If the hobby indeed picks up, and if i might be looking at something "more up the ladder" for a Tx, with an Absima/Flysky I would need to replace FlySky Rx's with Futaba, if i go onto a 4PM or similar....Whereas If i do start with a 3PV, (or a Sanwa equivalent if i opted for a Sanwa route), I simply get a 4PM and keep the same Rx's and keep the 3PV as a secondary Tx. Isn't that correct?

@alvinlwh I always forget the CR3P has the same features as the GT3C as mines got the hacked firmware on it

34 minutes ago, GTVeloce said:

Alvin thanks for mentioning the stick version 3.1. Agreed on trying to start defensively. CR3P with two transmitters does look nice (circa 40eu starting up cost difference to a 3PV).

Out of curiosity, since I have not seen any of these in person, would a 3PV be significantly better built than the CR3P (or similar), or does someone need to climb higher up the ladder in order to see the differences (like T4PM or MT-S , MT-44 upwards for Futaba and Sanwa respectively)?

Indeed a CR3P solution does sound intriguing but: If the hobby indeed picks up, and if i might be looking at something "more up the ladder" for a Tx, with an Absima/Flysky I would need to replace FlySky Rx's with Futaba, if i go onto a 4PM or similar....Whereas If i do start with a 3PV, (or a Sanwa equivalent if i opted for a Sanwa route), I simply get a 4PM and keep the same Rx's and keep the 3PV as a secondary Tx. Isn't that correct?

I cannot comment on the posher controllers as I do not have them. I have the CR3P and Reflex Stick 3.1, and truth be told, they do feel cheap in hand, but they do work as intended and needed. I am sure the expensive ones will feel good in hand, but do does a big bundle of £/€. 

If you decided to move up, there is no need to change anything as probably by that point, you will also have more cars. Just keep the old one in the old cars (if functional) and install the new ones in the new cars. I did not, for example, rip out all the Carson stuff when I bought an Absima.

I use a 3PV for 9 vehicles (buggy, touring, crawler) and have zero qualms about reliability and support.  It is a marvelous TX.

My one complaint is related to the 3rd channel, which is my own shortcoming for not thinking ahead.  The 3rd channel is a 2 position switch that requires operation with the steering hand.  Now that I am deeper into crawlers, I desire a momentary contact button beneath the throttle hand thumb (to operate a dig, 3 speed transmission, or light controller).  Again, it's my bad for not having the foresight to anticipate that preference.  

For the basic 2 channel operations (forward/reverse, left/right), there is no way you can go wrong with a 3PV.  

Also note that the T-3PV has telemetry; it is a fine luxury to see the battery voltage in the car in addition to the TX.

I got my daughter the CR3P (she's tried both stick and wheel, and prefers a wheel, as she says she can't turn left as easy with sticks as her hands are too small..) , and apart from a pain to bind to a new receiver ,it works well.

One thing is the noticeable latency. When I got the Sanwa, I needed to learn to drive again, as I kept turning in too early, but if you're not racing it really doesn't matter a great deal.

Its probably a bit like a battery charger, it's only once you start using them alot, you wish you had 'X' or 'Y'  feature, and find there's features you don't use, so you'll have a better idea later.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I got my daughter the CR3P (she's tried both stick and wheel, and prefers a wheel, as she says she can't turn left as easy with sticks as her hands are too small..) , and apart from a pain to bind to a new receiver ,it works well.

I dropped my Carson stick and snapped the stick off and my daughter actually find it easier to use now, almost like the analogue sticks on a PS controller. 

Agree with the pairing with CR3P, don't do it for too long and I forgot how to pair it and need to ask Google! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GTVeloce said:

The 3PV (amd 3PRKA) feels significantly better in the hand than the Flysky gear. Flysky is very light but in a way that makes it feel insubstantial rather than its made of super lightweight materiald. The 4PM should be better again, as my MT4S is a step above

As for Sanwa vs Futaba, the quality and feel is the same. Sanwa is more popular for racing but I imagine thats because Sanwa sponsor more drivers, so they win more, so that filters down to club level. I doubt Sanwa is better. I always recommend Futaba over Sanwa because rx's are cheaper. Thats only an issue if you want genuine ones, if you're happy with clones then both are available.

• Like 1

As sensible as it is to start defensively, there is also something to be said for being turned off to the hobby by crap gear. The 3PV is a great middle ground and it works well. I have a 3PRKA and never use it. It just lack some basic functions that can make a big difference. Here in Europe the receivers are easy to come by as well. Do it once, do it right. Money saved can quickly turn into money spent.

• Like 1