Exit13

Using NIP 40 year old parts

New in package 40 year old parts got used this weekend on vintage wild Willy’s

cnTfETt.jpg

truth be told these were actually  bought for my Audi Quattro rally and I’ve had them since 198something new in package and then this happened to wild willys this weekend

xuLRQxd.jpg

oh the devastation 

GNnXz3Z.jpg

now back in 198something I’d tear these packages open and the head down to MRC in Edison NJ and pick up some more. But these days I’m hesitant to open new in package parts. I would order some repop parts from shapeways. Like I did for wild Willy’s when I got him. I noticed one of the a arms was glued so I pickup An A arm shapeways part just in case , and ran the glued one till it broke which was this weekend

FYNKUwI.jpg

but since I originally bought these parts for my Audi and this tree comes with the wild Willy’s bumper it only logical to open that tree and use the new in package bumper on wild Willy’s

WRvRElN.jpg

while the packages was open I have to use the shock tower mount (and the bulkhead -oh that was painful) and now wild Willy’s is back to full strength

JLHuUrU.jpg

and since I had the shapeways a arm some parts still get to remain new in package. Now I’ll really have to be more careful with my Tamiya grail cars.  I’ll get on shapeways soon to replenish my stock  

hs7FGva.jpg

Even though it was sad I did enjoy using the old parts. I mean that’s why I got them right?

• Like 12

I have a collection of NOS vintage spares and decals, and it really pains me to open them and use them. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

J

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

I have a collection of NOS vintage spares and decals, and it really pains me to open them and use them. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

J

I feel you but don’t hate me because I’m beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, junkmunki said:

J

You have no idea how many times I went back and forth whether I should open a random Hornet screw bag or not.

I did, in the end. But it was literally just a bag of screws. It should not have been that difficult!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, El Gecko said:

You have no idea how many times I went back and forth whether I should open a random Hornet screw bag or not.

I did, in the end. But it was literally just a bag of screws. It should not have been that difficult!

Yup - I've got some for my Astute - still sealed and therefore still have beaten up screws on the buggy :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yup, I have some screw bags for Hotshot and Wild One plus possibly others, considered opening one once, found it hard to do, so just put it back in the tub :huh:

I've been building a collection of new in package Madcap parts and now only need one parts tree for the suspension to be ready to build a shelfer to go with my Madcap/Astute mongrel runner. I have some pretty much new parts not in the packages, but I want the experience of doing a totally new parts build, so maybe I'm nuts but I'll be making a day of it in the summer and opening all those new in bag parts!:blink: