nel33

old school telescoping antenna

just got the 1988 Taiyo Tyco Turbo 7 sprint car today. it should all be functional but it came with the transmitter missing the telescoping antenna. im reluctant to open the transmitter shell for the simple reason of ruining/damaging the original sticker that sits on the 2 sides of the shell. i see a contact pin the antenna is supposed to push down. which sort and where could i find this model of antenna? there is a 2'' sleeve/clamp to hold the folding antenna and the thickest part of the antenna is around 3/8''. the top of the contact pin is 3/4'' below the shell casing. im guessing it might be a 4-6'' tall antenna. there seems to be no clamp/hook mechanism inside the shell to specifically hold the antenna in place. 

im not sure if the antenna is supposed to push down in the pin or have an insert that fits on the pin. the pins doesnt have much play when i pressed on it with a plastic tray sprue.

20220329_172948.jpg

check a store called the source. i know radio shack used to sell stuff like that and the source i think is new radio shack. maybe they will have it. best of luck in your search.

9 minutes ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

check a store called the source. i know radio shack used to sell stuff like that and the source i think is new radio shack. maybe they will have it. best of luck in your search.

thanks, there is one fairly close by. there are other electronic stores also i can check.

Normally ,they have a male or female thread on the bottom of the antenna, drop in and screw in.

If you can see something sticking up in the radio, I'm presuming you're looking for an antenna, with a female thread.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Normally ,they have a male or female thread on the bottom of the antenna, drop in and screw in.

If you can see something sticking up in the radio, I'm presuming you're looking for an antenna, with a female thread.

thank you for the reply, it looks like im going to need a antenna with female thread. still havent found an antenna to replace it yet, the hobby store didnt have the right size. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nel33 said:

thank you for the reply, it looks like im going to need a antenna with female thread. still havent found an antenna to replace it yet, the hobby store didnt have the right size. 

Social media is probably your best bet tbh, they'll be someone out there, that'll have one kicking about.

I'm guessing you're in the US, using imperial measurements?

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Social media is probably your best bet tbh, they'll be someone out there, that'll have one kicking about.

I'm guessing you're in the US, using imperial measurements?

1 problem, im allergic to social media. dont have FB twit or any others that are trending. nota a fa of such sites to begin with. not sure where i will find another but getting the antenna is more to complete the transmitter. i dont plan to really let it go long distances, indoors has more than enough range in my unit. i need to find a way to remove the shell so i can fix the steering servo (after removing 10 or more parts the get there)  first. 

im in Canada .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

thanks, that looks like the right one and the right 27MHZ range. got it ordered, it should be the closest thing that i can find yet. the tube is 2mm wider but maybe i can modify the base to fit.

Good stuff. When I first got back into rc about 10/12 years ago I started out with the old school 27mhz gear. My inherent clumsiness coupled with an (over) eager 5 yr old resulted in 3 or 4 replacement aerials before switching to 2.4ghz gear. From what I remember, they were all much of a muchness in terms of size/dimensions (male/female attachment notwithstanding) so you shouldn't go far wrong. 👍

4 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Good stuff. When I first got back into rc about 10/12 years ago I started out with the old school 27mhz gear. My inherent clumsiness coupled with an (over) eager 5 yr old resulted in 3 or 4 replacement aerials before switching to 2.4ghz gear. From what I remember, they were all much of a muchness in terms of size/dimensions (male/female attachment notwithstanding) so you shouldn't go far wrong. 👍

thanks, this one doesnt fold but it i can make it fit then it should work. the insert hole on the transmitter isa hard 5mm thickness. if anything i will take the gar from the antenna rather than the transmitter shell.