^Smith^

Super Astute - Tamiya Traction Control (TTC)

Good Day, ALL

Is anyone very familiar with this Traction Control System?

When applying the throttle, the "clutch-system"  just seems to "spin", engaging somewhat when I lower the throttle (when the "Slipper-spring" is fully compressed), completely turned clockwise.

I wonder if is due to NOT using Tamiya CA Cement (I can't believe that) From what I have read, CA Cement is Krazy Glue or Super Glue.

I would be open to changing this "clutch- system" with a more direct motor to wheels system, if anyone could help me with that....OR

Have I done something wrong in the assembly of the "TTC_???

Any help would be most appreciated!

image.thumb.png.83e658608f5da8b002ecfcb043bc8fcc.png

image.thumb.png.6604a0c749a02b3bafd69a0255d6c7da.png

I have one and it doesn't behave like you describe even with a mostly slack spring (using a fairly hot but still 27t motor).

The CA is purely to help with alignment, as it's really hard to keep the slipper pads MB18 located correctly in the spur whilst trying to get installed against both slipper plates MB19, MB20.

I didn't use CA, but did swear lots lining it up without. I suspect your pads are not located in the spur correctly.

Hopefully you've not worn the corners off them too badly.

Hey 2000

Thanks much for the reply...It sounds like you didn't use any type of adhesive on the slipper sheets???

My sheets are in good condition, I'll try to reassemble and see what happens

Thank you.

@^Smith^ indeed I did not. Honestly you could glue the sheets/pads to the spur and it would not hurt performance of the slipper. The slip/grip action comes between the pads and the metal plates, so it's important the pads stay located correctly on the spur. Take it apart and dry fit the pads on the spur and you'll see how they're supposed to locate, then reassemble the whole thing.

The downside with gluing them is if you want to replace the spur and pads independently.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:02 AM, naturbo2000 said:

@^Smith^ The downside with gluing them is if you want to replace the spur and pads independently.

Would not using just a spot or two of glue to ensure they don't move during assembly also allow for pad replacement with perhaps a little clean up of the spur?

• Like 1

Yeah, added some tiny smidges of super glue (gel type) when putting mine together. Assume it will come apart fairly easily if/when it needs to be disassembled.

I swapped the spur to an Ae 48p spur with matching slipper pads and had no problems....also, 48p is so much easier than .5 mod

• Like 1

Interesting @Jonathon Gillham, what 48dp spur gear have you put on there? And what pinion/spur ratio are you running? Cheers

2 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Interesting @Jonathon Gillham, what 48dp spur gear have you put on there? And what pinion/spur ratio are you running? Cheers

They are from the ae B4

ASC9648 69T spur, with ASC91197 pads

This is to run a 17.5T brushless

Also, ASC9651 81T spur which works for a 23T super stock

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect @Kol__ and I are running the same .5 pinions. 22T being as large as they go for the particular eBay seller and nothing else on the market. The switch to B4 spur is pretty much inevitable.

@Zealot - how did you get on? Is it sorted?

18 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

They are from the ae B4

ASC9648 69T spur, with ASC91197 pads

This is to run a 17.5T brushless

Also, ASC9651 81T spur which works for a 23T super stock

Thanks mate, appreciate the part numbers What size pinion are you running with the 69T spur? I found a 22T pinion wouldn't reach to mesh with stock 82T spur, so I'm stuck with the stock 25T pinion. I'm wondering what shrinking to a 69T would do to that relationship

19 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the part numbers What size pinion are you running with the 69T spur? I found a 22T pinion wouldn't reach to mesh with stock 82T spur, so I'm stuck with the stock 25T pinion. I'm wondering what shrinking to a 69T would do to that relationship

Intriguing. I'm sure I'm on 82T + 22T with adjustment to spare...

13 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

I knew you'd ask that! I dont know, because I have 48p pinions from 20T to 50T so I just always have what I need. Just checked the manual and the IR is 2.59. So a 33T pinion would give 5.4 which will work for 17.5T (with headroom) and should fit. Should 

The 81T is so close to the 82T stock one that it should be similar to whats in the manual 

17 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Just checked. I'm definitely on 82T + 22T but there's less adjustment available than I thought. A different motor might not fit.

@Zealot having just taken mine apart again, are you sure you have MB20 the right way round? Flat side goes against the spur.

@^Smith^ You can check the breakaway force required for the clutch to slip by holding one wheel and the spur gear stationary then turning the remaining wheel. You should have to put a fair bit of force in to it before it gives.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I knew you'd ask that! I dont know, because I have 48p pinions from 20T to 50T so I just always have what I need. Just checked the manual and the IR is 2.59. So a 33T pinion would give 5.4 which will work for 17.5T (with headroom) and should fit. Should 

The 81T is so close to the 82T stock one that it should be similar to whats in the manual 

Lol, now off you go to count those teeth mate!;):lol:

So your FDR is 5.4? Isn't that more road spec? In my limited knowledge 8.5-10 FDR is best for off road buggies.

1 hour ago, naturbo2000 said:

That is bizarre mate, running my 12T Reedy Fury 540 motor and it won't mesh properly with the motor pushed right forward:wacko:

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Lol, now off you go to count those teeth mate!;):lol:

So your FDR is 5.4? Isn't that more road spec? In my limited knowledge 8.5-10 FDR is best for off road buggies.

That is bizarre mate, running my 12T Reedy Fury 540 motor and it won't mesh properly with the motor pushed right forward:wacko:

Yep, about 5.4 for a 17.5T brushless in a buggy. They have heaps of torque. FDR of 8+ for brushed motors, or low turn brushless, especially with boost and turbo programmed in.

I'd need to check but I think I even run my 4wd at close to 5 now, the newer motors allow some crazy gearing. 

Onroad is lower again, my 21.5T TC is about 3.3, and I think 17.5T TC are about 4, but we dont have that class here

• Like 1