Sign in to follow this  
LEE71

Primrose Valley Model Week 1980's

A large part of my RC journey was an annual weeks holiday over the Mayday Bank Holiday at Primrose Valley, Filey, North Yorkshire when I was a kid. I believe it was organised by MAP (Model & Allied Publications) who produced Model Cars magazine and the car racing side ran by employees Bill Burkinshaw, John Bicknell and Richard, whos surname escapes me. 

I attended from around '83 to '88 for a weeks holiday with my parents for racing RC and drinking copious amounts of full fat coke. I have some great memories especially since I lost my dad in '95 to cancer.

I'm aware there's a Facebook group but it appears more recent than my attendance from when I was 11 plus. 

Does anyone else have similar memories? We used to race off road in the grass gardens next to the swimming pool catering for 1/10th electric and 1/8th I.C. I used to race electric starting with a Rough Rider, a Mardave Maurauder, an Associated RC10 & finally a PB Mini Mustang which I still have. I remember one year the weather was so bad that the swimming pool garden was waterlogged so we had to use an adjacent patch of grass next to some chalets. Another year I got a *****ing off the caretaker for getting in the swimming pool outside paddling pool with my wellies on! 

All sorts of  modelling and RC was catered for and there was even a temporary modelshop in a chalet opposite the reception.

Happy days!

• Like 3

There might be a few members on here who were active in the scene back then.

Are you in the IconicRC.com Facebook group?  There's a few people there who were racing seriously back in the mid-80s, you might bump into some familiar faces there :) 

I probably am in the Iconic group but, to be honest, I use FB that infrequently I havn't checked. Will have a look. Showing my age now!!