gizard

QUICRUN 10BL120 Problem

One of my 10BL120's has got a problem.

After turning on it it start doing single then double beeps in time with the green LED.

BEC still works and I can also access settings with the program card, but there is no drive at all.

I have check the motor and sensor cable and they seem to be okay (and of course battery 2s)

The only thing in the manual states it could be incorrect battery voltage.

Any suggestions? 

Have you already checked the battery voltage separately to be sure it is charged?

Otherwise it sounds like it is going into program mode when you switch it on. You're not accidentally pressing on the set button as you turn the ESC on? 

I'd also try flushing the switch with contact cleaner in case a bit of debris has got in there and is causing a false button press.

• Thanks 1

Wow felt compelled to reply straight away! 

Isn't it always the last thing you check! (oxymoronic) - I tried multiple different batteries and these batteries all worked on other 10BL120s I have. 

The switch felt fine and so did the setup button - however I sprayed some switch lube and worked it the switch back and forth a bit and pressed the setup button lots - but no joy earlier today. 

Just re-connected it all up and the switch is now rather stiff but - bingo it now works! so thanks very much for the tip - it's one of those things in hind site I should have checked - lots of people probably always think that!

Might try and take apart the switch to check for dirt / corrosion etc.

But thanks again - it has renewed my faith in these great value ESCs - I am wondering whether the 10BL120 is over kill for manly 13.5t Speed passion Motors (I have one Tamiya 10.5) and thinking about the 10BL60 next time.

cheers

G.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 10:08 PM, gizard said:

I am wondering whether the 10BL120 is over kill for manly 13.5t Speed passion Motors

There's a good deal on lower turn Speed Passion motors atm....🙄😃

I run this in my Mid, and its nippy ,but not overly wild.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/speed-passion-v30-competition-bl-55t-36282

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

There's a good deal on lower turn Speed Passion motors atm....🙄😃

I run this in my Mid, and its nippy ,but not overly wild.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/speed-passion-v30-competition-bl-55t-36282

I got one even lower turns from them for a lower price as well, but now it is showing as "Supplier stock", which may means will never be in stock. Still sourcing for an ESC and a chassis that can handle it. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/407412

In fact, I fear it might be so wild that I took its +11 timing sensor and stick it into my 17.5T and put a +0 one in. 

If you are OK with ordering from HK and have a no reverse ESC, there is a deal from 3Racing for a 8.5T + ESC. I got my 17.5T from them for £28 + £8 only to realise that the ESC has no reverse and I have to go though the painful and expensive process of getting an alternative. Still, that ESC should still be good for someone not needing reverse. 

https://3racing.shop/collections/esc-x-motor-combo-set/products/speed-passion-8-5r-combo-esc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

it is showing as "Supplier stock", which may means will never be in stock.

Schumacher still have them in, which I believe is their supplier, so would just come straight from them ,I presume.

https://www.racing-cars.com/1-10-competition-mmm-series-4-5r-bl-motor-sp000036?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dspeed%2bpassion%2b4.5t

For Speed Passion motors, a normaly go a few turns lower, so for 6.5t (Reedy etc) power, the 4.5t.

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Schumacher still have them in, which I believe is their supplier, so would just come straight from them ,I presume.

https://www.racing-cars.com/1-10-competition-mmm-series-4-5r-bl-motor-sp000036?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dspeed%2bpassion%2b4.5t

For Speed Passion motors, a normaly go a few turns lower, so for 6.5t (Reedy etc) power, the 4.5t.

But bearing in mind, SP had gone out of business a few years ago, so are there even any left is the question. The reason their 4.5T is equal to today's 6.5T is because they are last decade technology. 

• Like 1

What would anyone suggest as an alternation to SP motors? Hobbywings own? Looking for 17.5 to 13.5? (Anything lower is gearbox destroying with my kids!)

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

But bearing in mind, SP had gone out of business a few years ago, so are there even any left is the question. The reason their 4.5T is equal to today's 6.5T is because they are last decade technology. 

Aye, I was told it was concentrate on their Core RC brand, either way, whatever is left ,is all thats left (looks like all the other winds are sold out, as not even listed as, out of stock).

Still a cracking motor, for a 1/3 of the price, for that money, its worth having a spare on the shelf, as a just in case! 

1 hour ago, gizard said:

What would anyone suggest as an alternation to SP motors? Hobbywings own? Looking for 17.5 to 13.5? (Anything lower is gearbox destroying with my kids!)

I quite like Reedy motors (I've only used the M3's ,not tried an M4 yet), but the hobbywing are seemingly just as good.

1 hour ago, gizard said:

(Anything lower is gearbox destroying with my kids!)

Just bashing and messing around, not racing or anything pro? 

Just some bluebottle will be great. 

3 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Aye, I was told it was concentrate on their Core RC brand, either way, whatever is left ,is all thats left (looks like all the other winds are sold out, as not even listed as, out of stock).

It took me a long time and a tip from a fellow member to source the programmer for that ESC. Had to source it from a shop halfway cross the world in tropical Borneo. Luckily my in law's are just an hour away and they cleaned out the shop's supply (I only asked for 1! 🤷). 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

It took me a long time and a tip from a fellow member to source the programmer for that ESC

The blue 'Reventon' programmer?

I've had a few of those!  

Although, I had issues recently ,trying to update the firmware on the esc, so to enable reverse for my daughter. Whatever Windows operating system we're upto these days ,wouldn't let me download it!! That's the reason she's running a 10bl120 too now 😁

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

The blue 'Reventon' programmer?

I've had a few of those!  

Although, I had issues recently ,trying to update the firmware on the esc, so to enable reverse for my daughter. Whatever Windows operating system we're upto these days ,wouldn't let me download it!! That's the reason she's running a 10bl120 too now 😁

This one? 

https://www.orangutan-rc.com/products/sp000007-speed-passion-reventon-series-smart-led-program-card

If yes the.. Ahhhh!!! Where were you when I was looking for one? 

If you have the software, I might be able to help. I still have Windows 7 computers alive and can try installing. I also want to enable reverse on the ESC. However the program cards are still halfway across the world at the moment. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

This one? 

Urm, aye....🙄

I did have a few, but I gave them away...😬 (to clubs, so there's one handy, for anyone in the club that's not got one).

9 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Urm, aye....🙄

I did have a few, but I gave them away...😬 (to clubs, so there's one handy, for anyone in the club that's not got one).

No many still uses SP ESC these days I suppose. But back to my question, do you have, or know how to download the software? I looked all over and cannot seem to find it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

No many still uses SP ESC these days I suppose. But back to my question, do you have, or know how to download the software? I looked all over and cannot seem to find it. 

Looks like the old Speed Passion page is archived, so the downloads might not work :- 

https://web.archive.org/web/20150219072822/http://www.speedpassion.net/en/download.asp

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Looks like the old Speed Passion page is archived, so the downloads might not work :- 

https://web.archive.org/web/20150219072822/http://www.speedpassion.net/en/download.asp

OK I had actually downloaded that one, but without the program card, I cannot test it out. Was hoping that there will be a more reliable source. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Just bashing and messing around, not racing or anything pro? 

Just some bluebottle will be great. 

Never bought anything from Aliexpress - are there any pitfalls coming to the UK - other than the wait? They have the Hobbywing Quicruns for £32 

2 hours ago, gizard said:

Never bought anything from Aliexpress - are there any pitfalls coming to the UK - other than the wait? They have the Hobbywing Quicruns for £32 

Add 20% VAT on whatever price you see. That is prepayment so you will not get taxed and "fined" on entry. Delivery can take VERY LONG, think months. 

And recently, I cam across a strange one. During one of their many sales, I bought half a dozen fans along with other stuff, all from different sellers. There is an "upgrade" to combined delivery, 10 items in one package. However, whole package got "rejected by airline" and I ended up with each item being sent to me individually, EXCEPT the fans. Every item in that order is now here bar the fans, and I am not sure why. Needless to say, very late. 

Problem with any of these China sites (including HobbyKing, RCMart) is they make you wait extremely long before you can file a claim, and the window for filing is very small, so they hope you will forget about it and they will get to keep the money. In the case of Aliexpress, you have to wait 90 days after ordering before you can claim for non arrival, and you only have a 14 days window. 

Now, I maybe sounding very negative about these sites, but you asked about pitfalls. Now let me tell you about the rate of these problems happening with Aliexpress. I have an average of 2 non arrival every year and I order about 50 times each year. Sometimes the thing arrived but tracking still shows as not delivered. I won all these claims bar one. I had been using Aliexpress for 3 years now.

The usual advise of ordering overseas stands here as much as any other time, only spend as you can afford to lose and as long as you are able to wait. Pay UK price (which I sometimes do) if you want to be sure you get what you want quickly. 

Thanks for that.

Decided to go for UK in the end (with VAT a delivery the cost is not the different) - although I do want some 17.5T motors which don't seem to be available atm so will have to wait i guess (Hobbywing Quicrun) so ordered 2 13.5T Quicruns and 3 10BL60's from Modelsport - dropping the 10BL60's in an XV-01 Lancia Integrale (replace TBLE-02s) - then a second XV-01 to build (both long Damper spec!) so hence got a Gazoo Racing Yaris body on the way for the new XV-01. Finally the other 10BL60 will replace the TBLE-02s on a Blitzer Beetle which has a TBLE-02s as well with a SP MMM 13.5 motor.

1 hour ago, gizard said:

Thanks for that.

Decided to go for UK in the end (with VAT a delivery the cost is not the different) - although I do want some 17.5T motors which don't seem to be available atm so will have to wait i guess (Hobbywing Quicrun) so ordered 2 13.5T Quicruns and 3 10BL60's from Modelsport - dropping the 10BL60's in an XV-01 Lancia Integrale (replace TBLE-02s) - then a second XV-01 to build (both long Damper spec!) so hence got a Gazoo Racing Yaris body on the way for the new XV-01. Finally the other 10BL60 will replace the TBLE-02s on a Blitzer Beetle which has a TBLE-02s as well with a SP MMM 13.5 motor.

Modelsport is a good place to get stuff, especially if you hit their free delivery limit, which unfortunately for me, is still not free as I am out of area. I usually hit them first and if they do not have it, or if the price is significantly different will I order from elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I've got a purchase history a mile long with Modelsport always been good to me! Shame they don't offer some sort of loyalty program. when I got back into RC stuff back in 2012 - they were where I started the rabbit warren!

• Like 1